USB refresh

HalSF

I’d like to understand the process the WiiM uses to detect a new USB drive and new files.

After installing the WiiM Amp last week I tested the USB input by inserting a USB thumb drive with a few music albums. The albums showed up in the app and played fine.

Now I’ve removed the thumb drive and inserted a different USB thumb dive with a large library of albums, but so far I’m still seeing the albums/files from the removed thumb drive in the app.

Do I just wait for the WiiM Amp to recognize the change and index the new USB content?

Is there a more immediate way to get the WiiM to check and refresh the USB drive index? For instance, will rebooting accelerate the process?

Thanks for considering my questions!

Is there a more immediate way to get the WiiM to check and refresh the USB drive index? For instance, will rebooting accelerate the process?
Yes, there is. Tap the ellipses icon (three horizontal dots) in the top right corner of your USB Media Library and you will be presented with an option to rescan.

Yes, there is. Tap the ellipses icon (three horizontal dots) in the top right corner of your USB Media Library and you will be presented with an option to rescan.
Thanks! For a short while nothing happened when I tap the three dots but then it responded and I was able to rescan. All sorted.

By now (WiiM Amp firmware 5.0.609856, WiiM Home App on Android 2.8.7.240305.162dbd) the USB media server works exceptionally well for me. In most cases, changes to the thumb drive contents seem to be detected automatically. Indexing might take some time, but works very reliably here.

Only from time to time I need to initiate a reindexing manually.

Looks like others are still having troubles. Luckily, not me.

Last edited:
My Amp's Media Server had been working, at least until I decided to update my library. I edited the music files to update/change the genre tags. I also added a few songs and a few playlists.
Now when the app rescans the drive I get:
Songs = 0
Albums = 0
Artists = 0
Playlists = 7 The playlist names appear but underneath it reads 0 Songs
Genres = 0
Folders = This is where I see data. From here I can view albums (including art) and tracks. Music plays fine so it's definitely there but the App won't display it anywhere else.

I haven't yet submitted a ticket, but I intend to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240326-181441.png
    Screenshot_20240326-181441.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 3
I submitted a ticket. Here is their response via email:
Thank you for reaching out to us, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you've encountered.

To assist you further, we recommend downloading this special version of the WiiM Home app. Please use this version to reproduce the issue you're experiencing. After doing so, we kindly ask that you submit a new piece of feedback through the 'Settings' tab, then select 'Feedback' within this special version of the app.

Your patience and cooperation in this matter are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
WiiM Support
Special version of the app? That's new!
Followed the instructions And received this:
Thank you for your cooperation.

Your problem has been escalated to our engineers and efforts are being made to check and fix the problem.

We appreciate your patience and understanding while we address this. Rest assured, we are making every effort to rectify the situation and improve your experience with our product.

If you have any additional information to share, or if there's anything else we can assist you with during this time, please feel free to reach out.

Best regards,
WiiM support

🤞

Probably no more than a version with more verbose logging. The app for my Linn amp for example, has a setting for verbose logging that they ask you to turn on if you’re raising a bug report.
Thanks. I assumed it has some enhanced diagnostic features. I just hadn't seen it before. Does Linn actually use the word "verbose"? I find that amusing.

Does Linn actually use the word "verbose"? I find that amusing.
It's really a standard term used for the highest (maybe except the logging level "insane" used by few ;) ) logging level. Totally standard. Many command line tools in the UNIX world support the parameter -v which simply stands for - you guessed it - verbose. :)

It's really a standard term used for the highest (maybe except the logging level "insane" used by few ;) ) logging level. Totally standard. Many command line tools in the UNIX world support the parameter -v which simply stands for - you guessed it - verbose. :)
Doesn’t the windows command line use that too, for example on the ‘dir’ command? It’s a slight misuse or re-use of the word verbose which normally suggests more words than necessary, but it wouldn’t be the first time a word has been hijacked by technology…

Call it programmer's humor. :p
Or a definition from the Devil’s DP Dictionary (or Computer Contradictionary) whose entry for mainframe engineering “preventative maintenance” has stuck on my mind for decades and was described as “the exchange of one set of error states for another”…

This morning I received this from Customer Support
We have identified and addressed the potential cause of the issue. We recommend that you download and use this fixed version of the WiiM Home app. Once installed, please attempt to access your USB media server again to verify if everything is now displaying correctly.
I installed the"Fixed" version. Here is my reply via the Audio Help Center:
Thank you. The "fixed" version of the app appears to have worked. Although the total songs presented after the rescan (6000) doesn't agree with the number copied to the drive (12000+). This disparity is also present in albums and artists. Despite the disparity I can't yet find anything missing. Questions: 1. What was the cause? 2. Is there something I should be doing differently as my library continues to grow and change. 3. Will these "fixes" be incorporated into the widely available version in the event it needs to be reinstalled?
I'm hoping to learn from this experience in order to avoid future issues.
Again 🤞

Back