USB-C Jack?

@sgwnew you are not the only person who has thought that the WiiM will work that way. I’m serious when I say I wonder why the product description causes the confusion.
I think perhaps it's because without a proper understanding of the technology involved, it is very easy to presume that a device capable of sending and receiving lossless information wirelessly from around the world (even further?), it might be able to retrieve some from the other side of my living room.
;)

A Raspberry Pi plus files on USB. There are all sorts of media server options you can install. You don’t then need the PC on at all.

If you are put off by Linux don’t be. A Raspberry Pi can be fully configured via a web browser.
I really like the Pi suggestion for many reasons but am trying reduce/simplify the tech. 10 years ago maybe.

One wonders what people misread in the product description to arrive at the idea that any of the current WiiM product range can work as a USB DAC?
One wonders why, of all the reviews I watched/read, not a single one ever mentioned this deficiency. All streamers include DACs. They are the heart of any streamer. Almost exclusively, most, if not all consumer music streamers include the ability to handle data from a USB source without the need for additional adapters, or software.
Having direct acces to files via usb would remove any need to be sat at a pc or even owning one.

I too have "my sources", but the idea of streaming lossless copies was among my reasons to buy the WiiM. Having no on board storage or usb access reduces it to an upgrade to a cd player.

My own fault for just assuming that easy direct access to the files it is designed to work with would be a given and built In. Seems a very srange omission to me, for users of any generation.

Flip it and wait for the upgrade I suppose.
The point I was trying to make was, I was dumbfounded by the omission. I don't necessarily need this feature, but having the device be directly recognizable by Windows, or Linux, makes it more flexible in meeting some users connectivity needs. Additionally, having it recognizable by Windows as a playback device (via a USB connection), allows the user to use it as their general playback device - including hi-res music files using local client software like JRiver, or foobar200. Many music lovers listen to their library off of a thumb drive, or external SSD drive. From desktop users to simple laptop users with powered speakers.
At a basic level any thumb drive USB Soundcard into the PC then connected to the line in on the WiiM will allow you to play on PC and have output via WiiM.
Who wants to use Line-In on an inherently digital device when you shouldn't have to.
A Raspberry Pi plus files on USB. There are all sorts of media server options you can install. You don’t then need the PC on at all.

If you are put off by Linux don’t be. A Raspberry Pi can be fully configured via a web browser.
Agreed. I've been doing this for years and have built several streamers based on the RPi, and VIM family of SBCs(Single Board Computers). I can stream to just about every room in my house using Roon end-points I've built from my music library on my NAS. All of streamers, have the ability to accept either I2S (network) data, or from a USB device - recognized by a thumb drive or a recognized device.
Thanks for the suggestions, all appreciated.

I have tried the native Windows sharing options serving files directly from a pc but this of course means the pc must be on all the time.

It was partially successful though in that it eventually saw, read, and played files from a "test" library from the attached external usb drive.

The pc app listed the files but I was surprised to find the files under "My Music" and not "Home Music Share". "Home Music Share" currently only offers a path to the usb drive, but when followed, only leads to two identically named unopenable folders called music. These are ghosts of the experimental test libraries I loaded via the pc and later deleted. I used it for a few hours with no problems. It did though take a few experiments with file structures and naming before I got it right. This resulted in a few differently named "test" libraries being created and deleted. End result is that I can currently access and use the files from my pc. Which is the element I wanted to get rid of.

While doing the above I occasionally opened the android app on my phone to check progress. In the early stages it seemed to be working and I played a few songs. It seemed to all go wrong after I edited either individual files or the library name via the pc app..

When I go to the library on my android tablet, "Home Music Share" shows the same now deleted test library which leads to the same two unopenable folders called music as seen on the pc. The "My Music" tab shows local music files. On my android phone it shows the same as the tablet.

I can't find a way to reset to the current library address and stop the android app trying to instantly read non existent folders?
All of the issues you describe above would go away if the WiiM had a USB-C data port. All WiiM would need to do is add the XMOS circuitry to support USB to I2S radio.

I picked up the Wiim Pro/Plus to see what it had to offer. Not just it being a Roon supported device, but other, more local computer connectivity.

Some rather sweeping generalisations there, and who knows it might be a generational thing. I for one wouldn‘t dream of sitting at a desk on my PC listening seriously to music: I have my source devices like turntable, CD player and WiiM streamer connected to my main shelf mounted amp which in turn feeds some quality speakers that I can listen to from my armchair. And my music files are on a shared NAS, not an PC, accessible by any device with suitable client software.

I guess I, like others, don’t see DACs and streamers purely as PC accessories. Having said that, WiiM will be releasing a new model later this year, the WiiM Ultra which will offer USB audio. Check out its spec when it’s released and see if that better meets your needs.
While I don't need the WiiM Pro/Plus, the Ultra sounds like they heard from other users as well. USB-Audio will enhance the usefulness of the WiiM streamer. Good to hear.

When I go to the library on my android tablet, "Home Music Share" shows the same now deleted test library which leads to the same two unopenable folders called music as seen on the pc. The "My Music" tab shows local music files. On my android phone it shows the same as the tablet.

I can't find a way to reset to the current library address and stop the android app trying to instantly read non existent folders?
Assuming you're using MinimServer on the PC - as recommended - you'll need to perform a rescan as it doesn't monitor for file changes (for performance reasons). You can trigger a rescan from either the MinimWatch application or the web configuration interface:
http://<MinimServer IP>:9790/

Last edited:
After trying numerous reinstalls, resets, etc I have eventually reverted to a Mechen M30 player line out to RCA on WiiM giving optical to amp or bluetooth to headphones as a stopgap.

I think I once nearly got it to read my full library of over 900gb on a usb hd share attached to a laptop. But getting no feedback as to progress, I had to stop it after almost 48hrs! It was using nearly all the wifi and almost 40% of 3.8gb cpu. Occasionally reading the usb drive and using memory made me think it may have been making progress but it could have crashed from the start.

At least it means I can now access and play my library files 250gb at a time via SD cards in the Mechen without booting a pc. But no decent control, browsing or playlists. Also frequent noise in headphones via Bluetooth. The phones are fine on Bluetooth with various windows and android devices.

I think I will resort to setting up a dedicated windows server.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, it's been....."interesting" ; )

After trying numerous reinstalls, resets, etc I have eventually reverted to a Mechen M30 player line out to RCA on WiiM giving optical to amp or bluetooth to headphones as a stopgap.
Reinstalls, resets of what?
It sounds like you didn't get something working on Windows, but you then go on to say that you'll get a dedicated Windows server.
If you're more comfortable on Windows then any mini-PC/NUC should be more than enough.

It sounds like you didn't get something working on Windows, but you then go on to say that you'll get a dedicated Windows server.
Windows works fine with local files in My Music. But no go with a remote drive and Home Music Server.

I didn't really mean "server" I meant an old laptop and plenty of storage. Means that the whole of My Music would be permanently accessible even when the main pc is not booted.

Windows works fine with local files in My Music. But no go with a remote drive and Home Music Server.
Did you enable Windows Media Sharing or install MinimServer?
To make your files visible in the WiiM Home app (Home Music Share) on your phone/tablet you need to run a UPnP server on your Windows machine. This is what you'd need to do on the new Windows "server" too.

Did you enable Windows Media Sharing or install MinimServer?
To make your files visible in the WiiM Home app (Home Music Share) on your phone/tablet you need to run a UPnP server on your Windows machine. This is what you'd need to do on the new Windows "server" too.

As mentioned above, widows sharing worked to a certain extent in that the app could (sometimes) get to the drive but failed either to find any files, or spent hours trying to read them.

I won't need to set up any server software. The app will find, list and play from My Music as local files. I won't need to use Home Music Server in the app.

As mentioned above, widows sharing worked to a certain extent in that the app could (sometimes) get to the drive but failed either to find any files, or spent hours trying to read them.
I've never heard of anything like that before, but it's not the best server which is why MinimServer was suggested.

I won't need to set up any server software. The app will find, list and play from My Music as local files. I won't need to use Home Music Server in the app.
Oh, so you're going to use the WiiM Home app on the laptop for indexing and browsing, no phones/tablets involved. I guess it keeps things simpler!

I've never heard of anything like that before, but it's not the best server which is why MinimServer was suggested.
I seem to recall someone mentioning that the WiiM app could see files shared by Windows Media Server if they were on local but not network drives. Or it might have been the beta Windows WiiM app that had the issue...

Oh, so you're going to use the WiiM Home app on the laptop for indexing and browsing, no phones/tablets involved. I guess it keeps things simpler

Currently using an android tablet with 256 gig sd card. and it's working well. Recognising additions, deletions, edits, etc on the card and updating library list. The tablet will be (chained) next to the amp and just use for control and playing it's own content. No playlist control and only single files though.

I have also found VLC on windows 11 can "cast" local files and playlists direct to the WiiM. Choose the WiiM as the renderer in VLC. They then appear in the app and they can be controlled from there or from the device VLC sent them from. VLC allowing the advantage of setting up and sending current playlists.

I have also found VLC on windows 11 can "cast" local files and playlists direct to the WiiM. Choose the WiiM as the renderer in VLC. They then appear in the app and they can be controlled from there or from the device VLC sent them from. VLC allowing the advantage of setting up and sending current playlists.
Yeah, looks like VLC can play to UPNP renderers like WiiM devices viz. https://www.5kplayer.com/vlc/vlc-dlna-upnp.htm

If you're looking for a Windows player then take a look at foobar2000 and its UPnP plugin as it's a very powerful music player. I primarily use it for tagging but it can bring in artist bio's, lyrics etc

If you're looking for a Windows player then take a look at foobar2000 and its UPnP plugin as it's a very powerful music player. I primarily use it for tagging but it can bring in artist bio's, lyrics etc
I keep meaning to look at that - I’ve been a dbPoweramp users for donkeys’ years and hadn’t realised it was from the same developer…

I keep meaning to look at that - I’ve been a dbPoweramp users for donkeys’ years and hadn’t realised it was from the same developer…
I use dbPoweramp for CD ripping but for needledrops I use VinylStudio and then process through foobar2000 for Replay Gain.
I also use foobar2000 to play the odd audio track on pc

I think the default setup is better than it used to be, but customising the layout isn't intuitive at all. I must have tried it a number of times over the years before being forced to learn it as Mp3tag couldn't do what I wanted.
Crazy flexible and a great community too - although its home is hydrogenaudio so don't talk about how x sounds better than y without having carried out an ABX test first :)

Back