What do you think about WiiM Mini so far?

I'm quite happy. I bought a second Mini for the bedroom. In the spring, I plan to buy a Pro for the listening room and locate that Mini to a porch/deck system. Like many music hobbyists, I have several redundant systems in storage. Maybe they'll get new sources from more WiiMs.
I've been soldiering along with 16/41k on Amazon HD Music. I haven't figured out how to get both systems to play higher res -- but the music is okay for casual listening in two rooms.
If I ever get running in high res on the Mini, I'll probably quit using my present AMHD > iPad > Modi DAC > preamp > amp > speakers in the listening room.
If I had any complaint, it is that stuff like getting AMHD to play in high res thru the Wiim seems like juggling with two software, AMHD and WiiM -- and I have been guessing wrong.

Enjoying the Mini and have been very impressed with the pace of feature updates. Currently using Airplay and TOSlink to stream to a DAC Head-fi system. Looking forward to Roon Ready.

Other than the broken optical port door, great!
I plugged in one of those full size to 3.5mm toslink adapters into mine as I felt the door was a bit loose. Tightened it up nicely, although you do have to use 3.5mm toslink cable. Not sure if it will work with a busted door but could be worth a go as they are only a couple of pounds

I have been pleasently supprised by the WIIM. I bought 1 for a portable system for the garden as it was 5G wifi rather than 2.4G wifi. It joined into the Multiroom arylic system, that uses another manufacturers streamer as a source, really well. Then the updates started and another WIIM was bought and they now form sources of my office system, relegating the laptop to surfing only duties, and the source in the bedroom. AMHD casting from the app works but I use the WIIM app mostly as it works really well with multiple apps. Works with all the Dacs I've used it with. Very useful bit of audio kit. 👍

I'm loving the Mini. The hardware really overdelivers in terms of QPR, which isn't a bad thing. but it makes me want to geek out and see what I can get out of the app -- and that's the part where I'm finding lots of room for improvements. (One example: Radio Paradise's FLAC stream via a Foobar2000 server install delivers between 700 and 1400kbs to the DAC, depending on content; the Mini app's RP stream seems set at 524 and doesn't display either the track info or album art.) Not a complaint -- I realize it's a fast-developing work in progress, and the RP option is brand-new -- just noting that the software isn't yet up to the hardware's capabilities.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy. I bought a second Mini for the bedroom. In the spring, I plan to buy a Pro for the listening room and locate that Mini to a porch/deck system. Like many music hobbyists, I have several redundant systems in storage. Maybe they'll get new sources from more WiiMs.
I've been soldiering along with 16/41k on Amazon HD Music. I haven't figured out how to get both systems to play higher res -- but the music is okay for casual listening in two rooms.
If I ever get running in high res on the Mini, I'll probably quit using my present AMHD > iPad > Modi DAC > preamp > amp > speakers in the listening room.
If I had any complaint, it is that stuff like getting AMHD to play in high res thru the Wiim seems like juggling with two software, AMHD and WiiM -- and I have been guessing wrong.
Right now multi-room doesn't support to play hi-res content and outputs 16/48kHz. We will Multiroom of hi-res audio early next year.

Last edited:
Hello,
So what I find bad is that with Amazon Music and also Tidal, the search does not deliver the results as in the original app. Even if the screen goes to sleep, you have to start over in the app to get to the album/song that's playing.

One of the my most used and useful features is the universal search across streaming services

One of the my most used and useful features is the universal search across streaming services
How does it work? My search finds nothing but TuneIn stations. No Playlists, Albums from my Music Server, etc. Yesterday while in Amazon music if I did a search it did find Albums I searched for - only in Amazon Music. I still cannot find music in my Home Music Server. I have thousands of songs on that server. It sure would be helpful to find them using Search......

Last edited:
I like the streamer but I find the user interface (the App) pretty basic. Lot of room for improvement to make the streamer more enjoyable to use. A real user manual could go a long way to answer questions on how to use the App. All the manual explains to me is the initial setup which is very easy to do.
I have two Minis. One for whole house music and one for the music room.

Right now multi-room doesn't support to play hi-res content and outputs 16/48kHz. We will Multiroom of hi-res audio early next year.

Will that be available on the current mini's or will it just be for the Pro?

I have read conjecture (on ASR) that the AMHD on multi-room non-high-res quality is due to Mini's insufficient onboard memory. This inspires doubt as to whether it can be made to work on the Mini in 24/192 in multi-room, ever. Is this true? (This would not be a crisis for me, as multi-room at CD quality is generally sufficient.

On another issue, gapless playback efforts in updates have occasionally resulted in a long symphonic work being cut off early and the next movement starting up (gaplessly!).

Is there a way extant or planned to turn off gapless playback? Many of us have no need for it. Ever.

I've been very careful when plugging in the optical cable, and so far so good...

Maybe my use case is simpler than some others' here - I simply cast Spotify / Tidal / Amazon to it and 'cos I can do so bit perfect from their native apps I'm very impressed with the Wiim's functionality / simplicity, especially for the price.
Despite the comment just a couple of posts above, I really appreciate the gapless-ness of the Wiim; one of the main reasons I tried the Wiim as my previous streamer (upnp inbuilt into amp) didn't support gapless.

As others have said in other forums, it seems there really is no discernable difference in the listening / quality experience between the Wiim and other streamers such as the bluesound, heos link or cxn.
I have a both the blueaound and heos (and a streamer in my amp), and a rather hasty comparison didn't show any obvious differences.
Maybe I just like to enjoy the music rather than over analyse it...
Despite this, I'm still being told by some that I need to invest in a better streamer!
Maybe that's the Wiim Pro ;)

I think it's a fantastic product that is (has been) selling itself short with its home page.
For example, someone I was chatting to recently wasn't aware that the Wiim had Tidal Connect - it seems this has only recently been added to the Wiim website (although it is onTidal's site).
Similar for Amazon - the Wiim website mentions Alexa Cast, but it's not clear that it's bit perfect, unlike Heos's casting implementaton; although you can get bit perfect from Heos but only within their app - and we all know how bad integration to Amazon is for 3rd party apps....

The transparancy on what updates are upcoming is fantastic - I've not see anything like that for other products.

Mainly, it's the support and development transparancy that really makes Wiim stand out from the crowd.

How does it work? My search finds nothing but TuneIn stations. No Playlists, Albums from my Music Server, etc. Yesterday while in Amazon music if I did a search it did find Albums I searched for - only in Amazon Music. I still cannot find music in my Home Music Server. I have thousands of songs on that server. It sure would be helpful to find them using Search......
I've only tried it when i am logged into Amazon and Qobuz and it returns the results from both of the services, works well. not tried to search content from a music server.

Excellent product. Been using with Amazon HD files exclusively via optical to my DAC and the sound is fabulous. Did some unscientific comparisons with my iPhone (AMHD app) via USB, which I used for a little over a year, and the sound was every bit as good through my considerably resolving system. Not sure sending CD quality streaming via Airplay2 is quite at the same level when comparing to the 16/44.1 files via optical directly from the Wiim. The only so-so comment is the multi layers of menus which at times can get tedious.

Given the price/performance ratio, this little puck should be the budget hifi product of the year!

Back