What SPDIF Output Resolution should I use?

Wiim User #6832

I'm using my Mini to stream Spotify Premium to my powered speakers via optical output. What sample rate and bit depth should I select for best performance? Thanks.

I'm using my Mini to stream Spotify Premium to my powered speakers via optical output. What sample rate and bit depth should I select for best performance? Thanks.
Spotify is lossy so set it to 192khz and 24 bit and play the tune, if your hear sound you’re good. Reason I said 192khz just in case you have that music or switch to different streaming in future you don’t have to make a change.

As you suggested I set it to 192/24 but didn't hear the tone. I tapped "Yes" anyhow which seemed to make the switch effective. Then I went back to streaming Spotify and it played fine. To my ears, there's no difference in the sound (which is quite excellent). Is there a way to confirm what is actually being output? The highest setting where I'm hearing the test tone is 48/24.

As you suggested I set it to 192/24 but didn't hear the tone. I tapped "Yes" anyhow which seemed to make the switch effective. Then I went back to streaming Spotify and it played fine. To my ears, there's no difference in the sound (which is quite excellent). Is there a way to confirm what is actually being output? The highest setting where I'm hearing the test tone is 48/24.
Lossy like Spotify still show 44/16. For the money you pay, you could get high resolution from amazon, tidal, deezer among other. Spotify their app and connect among the finest but it’s sound quality leave so much to desire on revealing system. For earpiece or casual listening while doing errands it’s ok but not meant for audiophile.

Good information about Spotify and its competition. Thanks for that. I'm definitely not at the audiophile point. More like a late-blooming audiophile-in-training. As with most new fields, one of the earliest challenges is getting a handle on the lingo. 😄

You cannot hear the difference because Spotify will always send 44.1/16 regardless of the resolution set in WiiM. This resolution setting it to define the maximum allowed over spdif output, but no upsampling will be performed.

You should set the test to the highest output that the speakers support. Probably only 16/48 if they are basic powered speakers but Spotify is as others have said only 16/44.1 and although delivered as Ogg Vorbis it is only similar in quality to 320kbps MP3.

(Tongue in cheek) Obviously that will all change when Spotify release their long awaited HiFi channel. If you think WiiM's Roadmap is optimistic Spotify announced this as imminent in Feb 2021. Breath don't hold.

You should set the test to the highest output that the speakers support. Probably only 16/48 if they are basic powered speakers but Spotify is as others have said only 16/44.1 and although delivered as Ogg Vorbis it is only similar in quality to 320kbps MP3.

(Tongue in cheek) Obviously that will all change when Spotify release their long awaited HiFi channel. If you think WiiM's Roadmap is optimistic Spotify announced this as imminent in Feb 2021. Breath don't hold.
I'm using Edifier R1280DB's. I'll probably pass on into the next realm before Spotify HiFi is a reality. 😁

Spotify promised of hifi but to this day it hasn’t materialized. I would cancel all my other services if they moved to hifi. Hifi is more than enough for me. I listened to hi resolution but to my ear the music was soft and lack excitement maybe this high resolution is just upsampling from 16/44.

Don't worry too much about lossy/lossless etc Spotify sounds good to me and I'm a good way up the hifi ladder so to speak.
Bit rate numbers can look impressive but in reality there's not a great deal of difference.
I enjoy qobuz and Spotify equally.

Back