WiiM as available output quirks (iOS)

rarewolf

I just set up the Mini as a streamer between my JRiver server and my Topping DX3 Pro+ (via optical). I found the WiiM app unpolished, but was pleasantly surprised to see it show up as an alternative output device for the JRiver client app, JRemote. The JR player reports bitperfect playback.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I found that could switch over to Youtube transparently. That is, I couldn’t find a choice for Youtube audio output, but that it simply worked. However, when I switched back to the JR app to play the next track, the next track played, but was the only track in the playlist. Further, the connection to the library on the server didn’t work until I killed the app and restarted. I also noticed that, whereas I could browse with Safari while listening with the JR app, if I wanted to use the Google search app, the music would stop playing.

I haven’t troubleshot this problem extensively, but I’m also at a loss as to how to troubleshoot(?) What additional info can I provide? In the meantime, I’m using a smartphone for accessing the WiiM/JRiver, while I browse all else with an iPad, occasionally switching the DX3P+ over to Bluetooth for audio.

Other than small problems with the app, the WiiM Mini is a miracle!

I just set up the Mini as a streamer between my JRiver server and my Topping DX3 Pro+ (via optical). I found the WiiM app unpolished, but was pleasantly surprised to see it show up as an alternative output device for the JRiver client app, JRemote. The JR player reports bitperfect playback.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I found that could switch over to Youtube transparently. That is, I couldn’t find a choice for Youtube audio output, but that it simply worked. However, when I switched back to the JR app to play the next track, the next track played, but was the only track in the playlist. Further, the connection to the library on the server didn’t work until I killed the app and restarted. I also noticed that, whereas I could browse with Safari while listening with the JR app, if I wanted to use the Google search app, the music would stop playing.

I haven’t troubleshot this problem extensively, but I’m also at a loss as to how to troubleshoot(?) What additional info can I provide? In the meantime, I’m using a smartphone for accessing the WiiM/JRiver, while I browse all else with an iPad, occasionally switching the DX3P+ over to Bluetooth for audio.

Other than small problems with the app, the WiiM Mini is a miracle!
Curious about your Jriver settings. I get no output using the JRemote , the Wiim Pro shows as a zone (I did add it to Jriver) but nothing happens. Any hints on what you did that works? I agree the Wiim app is clunky, my collection is too big to not have the JRemote functioning correctly. Thanks in advance. Day 2 with the Wiim Pro.

Curious about your Jriver settings. I get no output using the JRemote , the Wiim Pro shows as a zone (I did add it to Jriver) but nothing happens. Any hints on what you did that works? I agree the Wiim app is clunky, my collection is too big to not have the JRemote functioning correctly. Thanks in advance. Day 2 with the Wiim Pro.

I’ll look into my JR server settings and report back tomorrow. In the meantime, let me know what your WiiM’s output (e.g., SPDIF, RCA) is connected to and how, just so I have the context. Is your server on a Windows platform? Is your JRemote app on iOS or Android? (I generally use an Android phone as an DAP, but I can test iOS)…

Cheers

In spite of which JRemote app is running on whatever platform, both of mine show the WiiM as a zone available locally on my LAN. ALL zones associated with my JR server show up, as well as ‘this device’. However, my smarttv and sound bar also show, and now the WiiM.

The JR server should be as bare bones as it gets. That is, I wanted bitperfect PCM and avoided associating any output settings that would otherwise a simple file transfer.

When I set up the WiiM—and forgive me for for what I don’t remember—I chose the JR server showing up along with my other DLNA (NAS). I played a few tunes just for comparing with the DAC’s USB input, but as a result hoped I never again had to use the WiiM app as a player.

For tonight’s test, I’m using JRemote on my iPad instead of using the Android LG G8. The output zone is the WiiM, and because the WiiM can see the JRiver server it can pass the instruction to send the track out the WiiM’s SPDIF to my DAC & amp, and ultimately to my ears. Indeed, if I simply open all instances I have of JRemote (.., iPhone, LG G8), they all show the WiiM as a zone, and all are playing the same track in sync. I believe the WiiM may have shown up on my local LAN simply by plugging it in.

Frankly, it probably had nothing to do with me running the WiiM app. That is, I don’t believe playing a couple of tracks accomplished anything other than testing whether it could “see” the JR server and pass the proper instruction. I may have used the WiiM app only to give it a name on the LAN. Indeed, it is the Remote apps that pass the userid and pw to the server.

#HTH

I’ll look into my JR server settings and report back tomorrow. In the meantime, let me know what your WiiM’s output (e.g., SPDIF, RCA) is connected to and how, just so I have the context. Is your server on a Windows platform? Is your JRemote app on iOS or Android? (I generally use an Android phone as an DAP, but I can test iOS)…

Cheers
Toslink output to a DAC. If I use the Wiim app to play from my Synology NAS it works fine. Jriver is windows, runs server and MC at windows startup. I have JRemote on a variety of devices both android and apple. Final goal for this spot though is android.

Seems my issue is file format. Mp3 plays as desired, JRemote from Jriver server to Wiim pro. Higher bit rate will not play. I’ll dig into this deeper, the connection is OK there’s a hiccup somewhere in the File format decoding settings. DAC is capable of MQA so it’s not the issue.

Seems my issue is something in the Jriver settings. If I use Wiim app to play from Jriver (Flac, WAV or M4a) it works.
Jriver is getting hung up as if it was trying to sent a high res file to a low res device. I’ll take this to the Jriver Forum if I can’t get it straightened out.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back