Wiim Mini and Dac:is it necessary?

JFL

Hi,

Before ordering two Wiim Mini,is it a good way to not use an external dac and using only the one in the Wiim Mini?
Will it affects the sound quality?
Thx for sharing your thoughts..
Jean-François Laferté
Terrebonne,Québec
Canada

Hi,

Before ordering two Wiim Mini,is it a good way to not use an external dac and using only the one in the Wiim Mini?
Jean-François Laferté
Terrebonne,Québec
Canada
Depends... Analog output of mini is not so bad and is absolutely usable and satisfactory.
I did a lot of direct comparison with an SMSL DO100 and a subtle but clear difference in favor of the latter so, I kept it. I suggest, if possible, a tryout...

Reactions: JFL
I put it in a drawer for a sound quality story on the analog output..(for a modest use i preferred the modest old Chromecast via bubble etc)
but the "plus" seems a good compromise for those who want to avoid an external dac...
that's the idea
;-)
(I will definitely come there... ;-) )

Last edited:
Reactions: JFL
Eventually could it be interesting how the other components of the "chain" are and what the OP wants and awaits. "Better sound quality" is not a hard factor and pure nonsense without knowledge what is already existing.
If the other components are serious like f.e. lets say Marantz, Naim or a step higher Accuphase I would answer: Yes, go for a better DAC! If the other things are f.e. chinois toys like Fosi or Douk or "smart speakers" my answer would be: Forget it! 😉

Last edited:
Depends... Analog output of mini is not so bad and is absolutely usable and satisfactory.
I did a lot of direct comparison with an SMSL DO100 and a subtle but clear difference in favor of the latter so, I kept it. I suggest, if possible, a tryout...
Thx

Eventually could it be interesting how the other components of the "chain" are and what the OP wants and awaits. "Better sound quality" is not a hard factor and pure nonsense without knowledge what is already existing.
If the other components are serious like f.e. lets say Marantz, Naim or a step higher Accuphase I would answer: Yes, go for a better DAC! If the other things are f.e. chinois toys like Fosi or Douk or "smart speakers" my answer would be: Forget it! 😉
For your info:BC Acoustique EX 214 integrated amp+Monitor Audio Bronze 50 speakers+FIIO Q1 Mark ii(dac)..

For your info:BC Acoustique EX 214 integrated amp+Monitor Audio Bronze 50 speakers+FIIO Q1 Mark ii(dac)..

@JFL
And added: As far as the optical input of your BC is free I would highly recommend to try this first!!
But AFAIK its "restricted" to 96/24. If you care about big digits in resolution it would change the view.

between a mini and a pro if you clearly want to use an external DAC... you might as well take a pro....
(maybe one day there will be a more revision of the mini "plus"? but seems not up to date)

Hi,

Jean-François Laferté
Terrebonne,Québec
Canada
You are always in time for buying an external dac.
First try with the integrated one and after, if the quality don't fits your expectations go for an external dac...

Back