WIIM PRO shutting off Yamaha receiver!

mass15181518

Has anyone else have this issue? My WIIM will cause the receiver to shutt off completely. I know the problem is caused by WIIM because If I cast music from the YAMAHA music cast there is no issue.
I have reached out to WIIM support and have not received any feedback.

Not really happy with the product thus far.

Can anyone let me know if they have experienced this?

Something else that i don't think has been addressed yet is that the TT rca out into the wiim then analog out into the Yammy phono input didn't cause a shut down.
This implies, to me, that the rca out of the TT is not line level, but is a 'normal' TT phono output.
If so, it shouldn't be plugged into the wiim directly, but should have a phono preamp in between.
Or just plugged directly into the yammy phono input.

And the TT going via the wiim should have sounded off, surely, as there's no RIAA equalisation applied?

Come back, @mass15181518 , we need an update to retain our sanity! ;)
I have completely unplugged the TT from the WIIM and Im still have the same issue. Once again, I reiterate that the issue is not the TT, rather when I airplay music from TIDAL connect.

Also do you have mqa beta enabled and did you try different digital output settings (44.1kHz/16-bit to start with then go up from there) in case the Yamaha DAC is acting up ?
Yes I do have the MQA beta enabled and did try different digital output, my receiver should be able to support a higher bit rate

Tidal Connect doesn’t/ shouldn’t use airplay…
How am I suppose to cast music through my phone.

At the moment I am connecting through my phone Tidal app and then connecting through the WIIM app .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240427_084828_TIDAL.jpg
    Screenshot_20240427_084828_TIDAL.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240427_084854_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240427_084854_WiiM Home.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 6
It’s a confusion of terms - Airplay is Apple’s proprietary wifi/networking protocol, while Tidal Connect is Tidal’s . When you’re using Tidal Connect, you’re not “airplaying” just asking the Tidal Connect server to send the track over the internet to your home network and your device.

Edit: once that audio gets to your device via Tidal Connect, you can then choose its destination output either via coax, optical etc and even airplay to a different device, but that Airplay output is independent of the Tidal Connect/network input.

Please change the "Audio output" of the WiiM to Optical.

Next, change "SPDIF Output Resolution" in Audio Settings to 24bit/96khz.

Then, set the input of A2A to "Audio 1" and turn down the volume of the amplifier.

If you play it on Tidal Connect in this state, will it work normally?

No, unfortunately we can't.

Right now everyone lost track on what connection you use between your WiiM and your Yamaha.

You posted information like the optical out of the WiiM was for your turntable only and that you set the WiiM audio output to Airplay. Frankly, none of that makes any sense, neither individually nor in combination.

Your WiiM needs either an analog connection (WiiM line out to Yamaha line in, but not phono in) or a digital connection (WiiM coax out or SPDIF out to Yamaha digital coax in or SPDIF in) to your Yamaha. The audio output setup in the WiiM Home app on your phone must be set to the one output used, exactly. Either line out or coax out or SPDIF out.

If you use the analog line out, you can configure the maximum output voltage in the WiiM Home app on your phone (setting the lowest possible value is the safe route for testing). If you use one of the digital outputs instead, you can configure the maximum sample rate and bitrate (again, the lowest values are safe for testing).

Your pictures seem to show that there is an optical toslink SPDIF connection between your WiiM and your Yamaha and you mention the Audio 1 input. However, in the same post you talk about Audio 1 as being a coaxial input, which it isn't. This makes it very hard to follow what you are actually doing.

It would also be very helpful if you could permanently keep the turntable disconnected from the WiiM until the issue is resolved. Nothing should be plugged into the WiiM but the power cable, the network cable and the optical toslink connection going to the Yamaha.

When you have been connecting the WiiM line out to either Audio 3, Audio 4 or Audio 5, there had been a theoretical chance of an issue with the Wiim putting out DC voltage or just too high AC voltage. This is absolutely impossible using the optical toslink SPDIF connection since it is not an electrical connection at all. There's nothing the Yamaha could protect itself from. It could only not be supporting the sample rate and bitrate you set up in the WiiM Home app on your phone.

You also never told us if this setup has ever been working during the previous months since you own the WiiM. So, did it work fine at any point in time before? If so, what did you change in your system before it stopped working?

Please understand that this is not WiiM support. We are all just WiiM customers trying to help out other WiiM customers. We don't really care if you are not satisfied with any WiiM product (*), we just want to share our experience and try to get your issue solved, if this is possible.

(*): I take this statement back and now declare that I personally don't care if you are not satisfied.

Last edited:
As stated, the wiim optical out to the yammy optical in simply shouldn't be causing the yammy to shut down.
Are there any stray strands of speaker wire anywhere at all? Either at the avr or speaker end?

Shut off again! After all this, can we state that there is something wrong with the WIIM!??

From the fact that TUNE IN was able to play without any problems, I don't think the WiiM is broken. But we don't know the truth, and we don't know where the cause is. As @harkpabst said, accurate and detailed information from you is essential.

Can you try this again, keeping your current connection and settings unchanged?
(WiiM and A2A are connected by optical, and the audio output of the WiiM is Optical. )

1. Unplug the WiiM and A2A power cables. (ideally this is where you should reset the two devices.)
  2. Unplug the connection cable between WiiM and TT.
  3. Unplug any speaker cables connected to the A2A.
  4. Unplug any HDMI cables connected to the A2A.
  5. Unplug the subwoofer cable and LAN cable connected to the A2A.
  6. Plug in the WiiM and A2A power cables.

Once these are done, only the WiiM and A2A will be connected with an optical cable, and the A2A will not be connected to the network. There is no sound from the speakers, but in this situation, you can test some sources other than Tidal Connect to see if there is a shutdown.

• Open and play Tidal from Browse on the WiiM home app.
  • Browse "My Music" to play a music file in your phone's storage.
  • If possible, play music on streaming services other than Tidal.

If you haven't given up yet, Please try a little harder. Also, submit a support ticket again and talk to the WiiM team. Please give them the URL of this thread.

Back