WIIM PRO shutting off Yamaha receiver!

mass15181518

Has anyone else have this issue? My WIIM will cause the receiver to shutt off completely. I know the problem is caused by WIIM because If I cast music from the YAMAHA music cast there is no issue.
I have reached out to WIIM support and have not received any feedback.

Not really happy with the product thus far.

Can anyone let me know if they have experienced this?

Still having the same issue, receiver shuts off. Followed your recommendations, there is clearly and issue with my WIIM. It is only a couple of months old, I would like to find a solution here. I am disappointed with the product thus far.
I don't have any more ideas, but I'll test it by connecting a WiiM pro to my RX-A4A. Probably by today or tomorrow.

FYI, can you take the photos and screenshots below and post them here? Sometimes that can help with the solution.

• Terminals and wiring of all your devices
  • Screenshot of WiiM home app (Audio settings)
Thank you.

FYI, can you take the photos and screenshots below and post them here? Sometimes that can help with the solution.

• Terminals and wiring of all your devices
  • Screenshot of WiiM home app (Audio settings)
Yes, photos, please.

In particular photos showing the cable connected to the line output of the WiiM and where this exact cable goes to on the Yamaha.

You say, the WiiM is a couple of months old. For how long did it work previously?

Last edited:
20240426_062606.jpg20240426_062622.jpg

Attachments

• 20240426_062646.jpg
    20240426_062646.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240426_062722_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_062722_WiiM Home.jpg
    579.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240426_062733_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_062733_WiiM Home.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 12
Could you please show the Audio Output and Audio Input screen from the WiiM home app showing which connections you've told the WiiM to use?

Also, what is the red/white RCA Line In cable connected to?

Thank you.

The connection seems to be fine. It's TT that connects to the WiiM line-out, right?

I just tested it with my A4A and there are no problems.

WIIM Pro >(RCA)> A4A
(WiiM has a fixed volume on, 100% volume, 2V output. A4A has a volume of -35 dB.)

WIIM Pro >(Optical)> A4A
(WiiM has a fixed volume on, 100% volume, and an optical output resolution of 24bit/96kHz.)
(Noise occurs at 192kHz)

The AVR never shut down.

Is it only Tidal that the amplifier shuts down in your case? For example, what happens when I play TUNE IN radio in the WiiM app?

TT is connected into WIIM (LINE IN), then Coax from WIIM to receiver audio 1.

I have this issue when I am connected through thr Tidal connect app. I do not listen to the radio, will try to see if the issue occurs.

Could you please show the Audio Output and Audio Input screen from the WiiM home app showing which connections you've told the WiiM to use?

Also, what is the red/white RCA Line In cable connected to?
The cables come from my turntable.

TT (RCA) -- WIIM (INPUT) -- WIIM (COAX)-- YAMAHA (Audio 1)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240426_192522_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_192522_WiiM Home.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240426_192517_WiiM Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_192517_WiiM Home.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 6
Thank you.

The connection seems to be fine. It's TT that connects to the WiiM line-out, right?

I just tested it with my A4A and there are no problems.

WIIM Pro >(RCA)> A4A
(WiiM has a fixed volume on, 100% volume, 2V output. A4A has a volume of -35 dB.)

WIIM Pro >(Optical)> A4A
(WiiM has a fixed volume on, 100% volume, and an optical output resolution of 24bit/96kHz.)
(Noise occurs at 192kHz)

The AVR never shut down.

Is it only Tidal that the amplifier shuts down in your case? For example, what happens when I play TUNE IN radio in the WiiM app?
No issue when I play tunein radio..

No issue when I play tunein radio..
From what you've said so far, it seems that there is no problem with radio and TT playback, and only Tidal Connect is shutting down the amplifier for now.

Can you try more other sources to see if Tidal Connect is the culprit?
For example, what happens if you play Tidal on WiiM home app?

Edit;
If possible, I recommend that you test these as well.
Chromecast (e.g. Tidal)
Spotify connect
AlexaCast

Last edited:
From what you've said so far, it seems that there is no problem with radio and TT playback, and only Tidal Connect is shutting down the amplifier for now.

Can you try more other sources to see if Tidal Connect is the culprit?
For example, what happens if you play Tidal on WiiM home app?

Edit;
If possible, I recommend that you test these as well.
Chromecast (e.g. Tidal)
Spotify connect
AlexaCast
Also do you have mqa beta enabled and did you try different digital output settings (44.1kHz/16-bit to start with then go up from there) in case the Yamaha DAC is acting up ?

Also do you have mqa beta enabled and did you try different digital output settings (44.1kHz/16-bit to start with then go up from there) in case the Yamaha DAC is acting up ?
Yes, I think it's worth checking it out, but the OP had a problem with the WiiM line-out in the first place, so the resolution may not matter.

Thank you. I don't have Tidal, so I need insights from everyone. 🙂

I must admit to being confused as to the current issue!
Plugging the wiim analog out into the yamaha phono in - yes, not at all surprised the Yamaha shut down.
But now from the pictures it seems it's an optical connection to the Yamaha. Is it still causing issues? That would be surprising.

I must admit to being confused as to the current issue!
Plugging the wiim analog out into the yamaha phono in - yes, not at all surprised the Yamaha shut down.
But now from the pictures it seems it's an optical connection to the Yamaha. Is it still causing issues? That would be surprising.
Yes I'm kind of confused as well

A v. quick google for the yamaha model impies it accepts up to 96khz on optical, but that would just mean no sound for some tidal tracks, not a shut down.
Also might just be yamaha covering their bases - it might well work with 192 despite what the manual says; my Hegel does.
(Yes, I know I have coax to Hegel in my signature, but i used to use optical, and 192 worked with no issues.)

I'll summarize the connections that the OP seems to have tested so far.

[WiiM] > Line-out >> Line-in > [AVR]
Tidal Connect = NG
TT = OK

[WiiM] > Optical-out >> Optical-in > [AVR]
Tidal Connect = NG
TUNE IN = OK

A v. quick google for the yamaha model impies it accepts up to 96khz on optical, but that would just mean no sound for some tidal tracks, not a shut down.
Also might just be yamaha covering their bases - it might well work with 192 despite what the manual says; my Hegel does.
The RX-A2A can't play 192KHz with Optical, but I think it can play 192kHz with Coaxial. From my experience, Optical 192kHz doesn't shut down the amp, but it does silence or make noise.

I'll summarize the connections that the OP seems to have tested so far.

[WiiM] > Line-out >> Line-in > [AVR]
Tidal Connect = NG
TT = OK

[WiiM] > Optical-out >> Optical-in > [AVR]
Tidal Connect = NG
TUNE IN = OK

The RX-A2A can't play 192KHz with Optical, but I think it can play 192kHz with Coaxial. From my experience, Optical 192kHz doesn't shut down the amp, but it does silence or make noise.
You might be right, but the OP stated it was coax to the yammy, but the pictures show optical.
Of course, this could just be a simple mistake / misuse / misunderstanding of how most people use this term.

Anyway, I feel an update from the horse's mouth would be useful!!
The very original issue seemed to be that tidal into the amp caused a shut down, but that was when it was into the phono input.

You might be right, but the OP stated it was coax to the yammy, but the pictures show optical.
Of course, this could just be a simple mistake / misuse / misunderstanding of how most people use this term.

Anyway, I feel an update from the horse's mouth would be useful!!
The very original issue seemed to be that tidal into the amp caused a shut down, but that was when it was into the phono input.
Yes, I noticed it now.

And when I looked at the OP's image again, I found something strange.

@mass15181518,

Please can you tell me why Audio output ha AirPlay?
This should be Optical Out.
Screenshot_2024-04-27-13-26-02-767_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Last edited:
Something else that i don't think has been addressed yet is that the TT rca out into the wiim then analog out into the Yammy phono input didn't cause a shut down.
This implies, to me, that the rca out of the TT is not line level, but is a 'normal' TT phono output.
If so, it shouldn't be plugged into the wiim directly, but should have a phono preamp in between.
Or just plugged directly into the yammy phono input.

And the TT going via the wiim should have sounded off, surely, as there's no RIAA equalisation applied?

Come back, @mass15181518 , we need an update to retain our sanity! ;)

Back