WiiM Ultra launch price

At what price would the WiiM Ultra be a compelling choice without sacrificing value?

• US $349, EUR 379, GBP 349

• US $399, EUR 429, GBP 399

• US $449, EUR 479, GBP 449

• Other - please specify price with currency in the comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ppl would go bluesound for 450, mark my word.
The node is $550.
It doesn't have a screen, no phono input, no rca input.
The node x is $750.

Now, we don't know the specs of the wiim DAC, but it should at least be as good as the node.
The app and the support being better.

I see no reason why someone would by the bluesound (unless they're already invested) compared to the wiim, even if priced the same.

Given the pro plus is bit perfect and you can't get much better than that, and is already $220. $250 seems a little daft given what the Ultra is offering in addition.

If you don't think the Ultra is a good deal, then you can get the pro plus and get a very nice sounding streamer for ~$250

The app and the support being better.

This is a critical point that gets lost with too many specs and features focused individuals. The non-fussy app and its constant software development is worth the price of admission compared to so many others.

I see no reason why someone would by the bluesound (unless they're already invested) compared to the wiim, even if priced the same.

Agreed, I don't see the value there at all. They will be forced to up their game with regard to their app and OS development, which had gone somewhat stale some years back, probably because they didn't perceive much competition threatening them except Sonos. Thats all changed now.

Media services on Wiim haven't improved since the first release - there's no comparison with Sonos which offers twice as many services (including podcasts and audiobooks). Also, Wiim lacks samba/cifs support).

The bluesound node is way overpriced.

Media services on Wiim haven't improved since the first release - there's no comparison with Sonos which offers twice as many services (including podcasts and audiobooks). Also, Wiim lacks samba/cifs support).

The bluesound node is way overpriced.
Wiim supports (I might miss a few so I'm sorry if I do)

• Spotify
  • Amazon
  • Tidal
  • Deezer
  • Quobuz
  • Soundcloud
  • Tunein
  • Vtuner
  • Alexa
  • Squeezlite
  • Roon
  • Chomecast
  • Airplay
What more do you propose they need to add?

Wiim supports (I might miss a few so I'm sorry if I do)

• Spotify
  • Amazon
  • Tidal
  • Deezer
  • Quobuz
  • Soundcloud
  • Tunein
  • Vtuner
  • Alexa
  • Squeezlite
  • Roon
  • Chomecast
  • Airplay
What more do you propose they need to add?
Here's the Sonos list

Also, Wiim lacks samba/cifs support).
I'd much rather have third party media server support than have to rely on the mediocre (bring generous) indexing that Sonos and BluOS provide. It's one of the reasons I use my Sonos speakers as UPnP renderers.

I'd much rather have third party media server support than have to rely on the mediocre (bring generous) indexing that Sonos and BluOS provide. It's one of the reasons I use my Sonos speakers as UPnP renderers.
So do I. I do however use Audible and IBroadcast on occasion, otherwise my sonos speakers are LMS endpoints.

So do I. I do however use Audible and IBroadcast on occasion, otherwise my sonos speakers are LMS endpoints.
I avoid Amazon where I can so no Audible for me, but I've never heard of iBroadcast.
It seems to be cloud storage for your music (with apps to access it). I would have thought limited use for LAN based audio, but I'll take a look.

I avoid Amazon where I can so no Audible for me, but I've never heard of iBroadcast.
It seems to be cloud storage for your music (with apps to access it). I would have thought limited use for LAN based audio, but I'll take a look.
It’s one of the trinity of Alexa skills I often quote when people ask about being able to play their own tracks with Alexa - the other two are MyMedia and Plex. It’s been around a long time and allows you to upload your tracks to the cloud then use the “Alexa, ask <skill> to play…” rather clumsy construct rather than the more natural “Alexa, play…”. The initial free version only played backed at 128kbps no matter the quality of the uploaded track - they may finally have released the paid premium version which allows higher quality playback. Being a skill, you can often hit constraints like not being able to play to a multi room music group or via a device group preferred speaker, although there are unsupported workarounds.

While some will swear by it, I find such skills not worth the effort - plus I managed to upload the tracks I have to Amazon Music when they offered that now retired feature :)

While I’m no Apple Music fan, it’s worth mentioning that it at least has the feature to sync your local library with iCloud and via that route allow Alexa access to your local tracks without the downsides a skill may have.

Last edited:
Audible, IBroadcast, Pocket Casts, Plex, storytel, Bookmate. BBC Sounds, Global Player, Apple Music are more than just a radio station.

BBC Sounds is very good. Whilst the app isn’t on the WiiM it is on my phone, and I don’t listen to it for hi res audio.

Im afraid that 250 will kill more than the competition. WiiM as a company cant survive solely on sales-volume if they’re not making a profit huge enough to be sustainable :-/

If WiiM can make money from a £90 Mini… ;)

I’m sure they’re not stupid enough to release a product which makes them a loss.

The options for prices (£350-£450) are all very competitive indeed, given the feature set.

That’s where LMS scores - it’s got a really good implementation of that, as well as Radio Paradise.
Most of the LMS implementations are way better than versions on Wiim & Sonos. Spotify on Sonos is particularly awful😝. Deezer is excellent via LMS. For me, the only missing plugins are Audible and IBroadcast.

It beats me why people shell out a hefty sub. for Roon when the excellent LMS is free and works fine with Wiim streamers (and many other endpoints, such as upnp, airplay, chromecast).

If WiiM can make money from a £90 Mini… ;)

I’m sure they’re not stupid enough to release a product which makes them a loss.

The options for prices (£350-£450) are all very competitive indeed, given the feature set.
Agree, but refered to the wish of 250. Given the specs we «know» the Ultra must cost more that 2,5 Mini’s to build 🙂

Last edited:
I'm currently running a WiiM Pro and a Raspberry Pi for Plexamp headless. I'm not going to upgrade to the WiiM Ultra until it's confirmed it'll support Plex at some point... I know it's already part of the roadmap, but not sure how longer it's going to take.

The LCD screen is a nice bonus though :)

Last edited:
I voted £349. If you look at what the LinkPlay based Arylic S50 Pro+ offers, hardware wise, for just £149 - aluminium case; screen albeit neither touch nor colour; all I/O except HDMI ARC and Phono; AptX HD; ES9023 DAC; twin external antennae; etc. - although with off-board PSU. It even has EQ control with PC ACPWorkbench; Web control via browser; albeit uses an older LinkPlay module lacking bit-perfect processing and limited to 16/44.1 SPDIF output, etc.. However, that allows £200 extra for WiiM to play with, such as latest LinkPlay module; better DAC, say ES9039Q2M; colour touchscreen; etc. Even at £399, it challeges or betters rivals such as Cambridge Audio CXN100 (4.8in screen and XLR o/p) @£899, Bluesound NODE N130 (no screen) @£449, and Audiolab 7000N (2.8in screen) @£549, so could seriously shake up the market once again as did the Pro and Pro Plus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back