Worth upgrading from stock RCA cables?

ZoydWheeler

Hi all

Would anybody recommend upgrading from the stock RCA cables that come with the WiiM Pro Plus?

I’m interested to hear opinions and experiences on this. If it would genuinely improve my sound quality then I’ll invest in some.

Thanks for any advice, tips or thoughts 🙏

Whereas i thought the wiim rca cables sounded rubbish ;)
Seems to most likely to have been noise transmitting through them from other gear, v. close proximity to mains cables etc.

'Borrow' some from a dealer / friend if possible?

Whereas i thought the wiim rca cables sounded rubbish ;)
Seems to most likely to have been noise transmitting through them from other gear, v. close proximity to mains cables etc.

'Borrow' some from a dealer / friend if possible?
yeah I think I'll borrow some and see if they make a difference - my wiim is behind the telly, next to a mass of mains wires, but tbh it sounds pretty decent and 'clean' to my ears :)

I've had no complaints with the default cables, they also look suitably minimal, cannot stand the garish designs of some cables.
yeah think I might be with you... will test out some others to put my mind at rest

I actually want to put a positive word out here for WiiM vs a lot more pricey competition, because regardless of what you think of the cables, you get enough kit in the box to start using it right away, which is more than I can say for the competition, where you get the box and have to buy the interconnects (and in some cases also the psu cable) separately.

Hi all

Would anybody recommend upgrading from the stock RCA cables that come with the WiiM Pro Plus?

I’m interested to hear opinions and experiences on this. If it would genuinely improve my sound quality then I’ll invest in some.

Thanks for any advice, tips or thoughts 🙏
The usual answer would be - it depends. In close to perfect conditions regarding the audio path, any changes probably won't bring any benefits.

What is a properly designed device ? How do you measure the immunity of a device to noise reduction tweaks ( such as cables, noise isolators , current filtering )with respect to audio quality ? What are the relevant metrics for this assessment? Will you hear it ? Will you care enough ? So yes don’t start with properly designed power supply and properly designed devices without concrete examples and a full suite of measurements that examine every possible aspect that can affect sound quality .

My very subjective opinion to answer your question is : yes

In audio every part of the chain matters, whether you will hear a difference or not, depends on where you bottlenecks are. I can hear clear differences between cables, depending on where I apply them. rca cables with shielding will always be better than the unshielded shoelaces that are usually supplied. Goobays (cheapest shielded cables) are noticeably better than the black shoelaces with red an white plugs.

I used to work at an electronics store to pay for my college. Cables are one of the highest margin products to sell. Especially blink blink ones.

Back