WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I hate to say, but I have no interest in a touch screen device.

First, most stereo equipment is not at a convenient height for using a touch screen. My Pro is about 2 feet off the ground, with my DAC and amp. A touch screen at that level is not useful.

Second, I want a mobile interface, not one I have to walk across the room to access. Alexa or my phone/tablet are my preferred interfaces. An on-device touch screen reminds me of changing a record (vinyl) or putting a CD into a player.

Maybe it's just me, but I really do not see a screen as a major feature of this device.

First, most stereo equipment is not at a convenient height for using a touch screen. My Pro is about 2 feet off the ground, with my DAC and amp. A touch screen at that level is not useful.

Second, I want a mobile interface, not one I have to walk across the room to access. Alexa or my phone/tablet are my preferred interfaces. An on-device touch screen reminds me of changing a record (vinyl) or putting a CD into a player.

Maybe it's just me, but I really do not see a screen as a major feature of this device.
Yes, I did think that too , that a touch screen is not necessary for me plus it's more to go wrong. I employ the remote to use all my kit and never touch, indeed rarely go near their front panels.

I do like the idea of a display screen though showing album covers and VU meters etc, just doesn't need to be a touch screen.

Yes, I did think that too , that a touch screen is not necessary for me plus it's more to go wrong. I employ the remote to use all my kit and never touch, indeed rarely go near their front panels.

I do like the idea of a display screen though showing album covers and VU meters etc, just doesn't need to be a touch screen.
Ditto. I can see myself enjoying album covers and/or VUs on the screen (provided it can go off when using HDMI, i.e. watching a movie), but I don't see myself using a 'touch' feature beyond maybe troubleshooting config if for some reason it's not talking to my phone/tablet.

Maybe for users thinking of it as a desktop / headphones amp ?

A touch screen doesn't cost much more than a regular screen - in fact, I'd imagine all small high-resolution screens you can get nowadays are phone and therefore touch screens - so even if you won't use it, at least it won't have had any influence on the price.

Right, okay…look…yes…and no.

I don’t desire or require a touch screen, or even a non-touch screen, though if it has one and looks nice, I’m not going to cover it with masking tape, or prop a book in front of it.

I’m more interested in the other aspects of its performance (as I’ve said, a WiiM pre amp with a DAC ‘as good as or better’ than the Pro Plus, and arriving with 8 bands of PEQ (or more) and room correction already up and running.

Unless the screen takes the price up into silly money, its presence won’t stop me buying it.

But yes, I have no interest in a touch screen. I just might have lots of interest in this touch screen device.

Last edited:
Right, okay…look…yes…and no.

I don’t desire it require a touch screen, or even a non-touch screen, though if it has one and looks nice, I’m not going to cover it with masking tape, or prop a book in front of it.

I’m more interested in the other aspects of its performance (as I’ve said, a WiiM pre amp with a DAC ‘as good as or better’ than the Pro Plus, and arriving with 8 bands of PEQ (or more) and room correction already up and running.

Unless the screen takes the price up into silly money, its presence won’t stop me buying it.

But yes, I have no interest in a touch screen. I just might face lots of interest in this touch screen device.

A lot of people don't want analogue section in a streamer. I have no need for it in my system.

I'd want audio transport

A lot of people don't want analogue section in a streamer. I have no need for it in my system.

I'd want audio transport

A lot of people will want a lot of different things.

If you want a streamer with no analogue stage, then buy the Mini - it has an analogue stage, but it’s hardly wasted a lot of money on it. Attach your DAC to that and away you go.

If that further I needed (it doesn’t, but there you go), find be happy to buy it, and wouldn’t dream of coming to a thread for a different product, trying to persuade people how wrong they were for not wanting the same as me.

Counting one's chicken before they hatch. Bet all the research and production schedule is done already. After the Ultra is before the Ultra.

Same here. All I need is control from my phone and high quality analog output. The Pro Plus does both, so that what I plan to buy soon.

I have no problem with them introducing the Ultra though, I'd love to see the more expensive streamers get some direct competition

A screen isn't necessary, but it can, if executed well, look nice. Aesthetics matter for a lot of us. Touch, if the form factor is the same as the amp, is a curious one. If it's on the front, it'll be visible but potentially awkward. If it's on the top, it could be more practical but not add so much to the look… I can't wait to see it in any case.

I would like a real analog input, one that doesn't get sampled and reconstructed later but I understand it would mean a big change in the internal architecture. About the display, nice to have, better allowing simple interaction. In case the Ultra will be an amp, pre out is almost mandatory :)

I would like a real analog input, one that doesn't get sampled and reconstructed later but I understand it would mean a big change in the internal architecture. About the display, nice to have, better allowing simple interaction. In case the Ultra will be an amp, pre out is almost mandatory :)
One thing I've noticed about modern amps compared to their vintage cousins is a lack of a true line-out for connection of tape / recording devices, does anyone know why this is?

One thing I've noticed about modern amps compared to their vintage cousins is a lack of a true line-out for connection of tape / recording devices, does anyone know why this is?
I guess because not that many people have or need a recording device. Why would you when most of the services can be also run on a PC from where you can record if need be

The few who still loves their reels will find an amp ;-)
I have a Yamaha R-S700 with a tape out and line out. As cool as it is to have a modern receiver with those features, I've used it less than ten times over the 7 years I've had it.

Found this line outs always useful. For external hpas without internal dacs for example.
An old Revox tape still waiting for revitalization. Fear this will never happen. But agreed its a niche today.

I have a Yamaha R-S700 with a tape out and line out. As cool as it is to have a modern receiver with those features, I've used it less than ten times over the 7 years I've had it.
I still have a functional tape deck that I use mostly for playback of tapes that remind me of family members who regrettably are no longer with us. However as long as I have tape deck I would like to be able to use it's record functionality, should the need ever arise.

There are other reasons to need a line out: such as multi-room

To Recap
The WiiM Support Admin has been kind enough to post 9 times to date about the Ultra. I’d say we know quite a bit about it already.

Post #195 had the most info.

By feature
- USB out - Post #195. Additionally, the USB out will 1) support room correction EQ functionality - Post #239, 2) be able to split off the low end output to the sub out - Post #239, 3) serve as a media server - Post #199
- USB media server - Post #195. It will have an onboard music server which will be DLNA/UPnP compliant - Post #241
- Sub out - Post #195
- HDMI ARC - Post #195
- Wi-Fi 6/BT LE audio - Post #195.
- A display - Post #195. The display will be touch screen with a custom UI providing access up to 80% of the app's functionality directly on the device itself - Post #707
- Integrated power supply - Post #195
- Phono input - Post #195
- 12v trigger - Post #203. It will be 3.5mm - Post #208
- Form Factor similar to WiiM Amp - Post #707
- Price - the most economically accessible option in its class - Post #707

A standout feature of the WiiM Ultra is its touch screen, equipped with a custom UI that empowers you to access up to 80% of the app's functionality directly on the device itself—redefining convenience.

We've poured our efforts into ensuring the WiiM Ultra sets a new benchmark for sound quality and aesthetics, all while being positioned as the most economically accessible option in its class. Stay tuned for an audio experience that promises to be unparalleled.

The amount of focus on touch screen capabilities is concerning. A new benchmark for sound quality is encouraging.

Back