WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Just getting aware that there are users which want to bring their turntables in the WiiM system for multiroom or things like that. May be for those the ground in the Ultra is helpful. Sometimes it might be good for me to look outside my box before posting ;-)
Right, also for the simple convenience of not having one more remote, source select & volume control, even without multi room, it makes sense for me to have my turntable feed into the WiiM. Right now I go through an old Schiit Mani 1 into the pro plus and the TV via optical. The Ultra, provided the phono preamp is good enough, will remove another device & wall wart from my setup and by going HDMI ARC for the TV, I will no longer have to juggle remotes for volume control.

None of these individually is a determining factor but they do add up in making the Ultra an attractive proposition for me

Right, also for the simple convenience of not having one more remote, source select & volume control, even without multi room, it makes sense for me to have my turntable feed into the WiiM. Right now I go through an old Schiit Mani 1 into the pro plus and the TV via optical. The Ultra, provided the phono preamp is good enough, will remove another device & wall wart from my setup and by going HDMI ARC for the TV, I will no longer have to juggle remotes for volume control.

None of these individually is a determining factor but they do add up in making the Ultra an attractive proposition for me
So the Ultra has a phono preamp. Does it offer different gain levels for moving magnet or moving coil cartridges? Does it offer facilities to change cartridge loading (load resistance and capacitance) ? If the answer is no to that… it’s a mediocre offering of no interest to serious vinyl listeners.

Never read about a dedicated phono section in any WiiM for now. Did I miss something?
And yes, it depends on how deep one is in the turntable rabbit hole. Guess personally I am for long too deep in ;-))

So the Ultra has a phono preamp. Does it offer different gain levels for moving magnet or moving coil cartridges? Does it offer facilities to change cartridge loading (load resistance and capacitance) ? If the answer is no to that… it’s a mediocre offering of no interest to serious vinyl listeners.
We'll see when it's released but probably ordinary MM like most integrated amps or preamps (especially in that price range) and amply sufficient for a whole lot of people.

I don't see the point in this complaining. If it doesn't work for you, so be it. Don't buy one. I guarantee you there will be plenty of people for who it does.

Never read about a dedicated phono section in any WiiM for now. Did I miss something?
And yes, it depends on how deep one is in the turntable rabbit hole. Guess personally I am for long too deep in ;-))
The Ultra has a phono in, it was announced early on and is in the pictures :)

imo, a serious vinyl listener would likely have a serious phono preamp already.

I would think that the phono input would be merely 'ok'. I'd expect the same for the headphone output.
Naturally, we all have great expectations for the dac section after the improvements in the pro plus and amp over the earlier models.
In no way am I trying to belittle wiim or the Ultra - I think these (phono and headphone) have been added to increase its appeal as a lifestyle product and to address some of the 'easier' to resolve user feedback, and for that wiim should be applauded.

The Ultra can't be everything to all people; just take a look at the frankly fanciful wish lists throughout this thread and the price people want to pay for it. Just like everythng else, this product has to be built to a price.

What we have seen though is wiim's commitment to continous improvement in their firmware and application.
For me that's the real value in these products, especially for the almost ridiculously cheap mini and pro.

I would think that the phono input would be merely 'ok'. I'd expect the same for the headphone output.
Naturally, we all have great expectations for the dac section after the improvements in the pro plus and amp over the earlier models.
In no way am I trying to belittle wiim or the Ultra - I think these (phono and headphone) have been added to increase its appeal as a lifestyle product and to address some of the 'easier' to resolve user feedback, and for that wiim should be applauded.

The Ultra can't be everything to all people; just take a look at the frankly fanciful wish lists throughout this thread and the price people want to pay for it. Just like everythng else, this product has to be built to a price.

What we have seen though is wiim's commitment to continous improvement in their firmware and application.
For me that's the real value in these products, especially for the almost ridiculously cheap mini and pro.
indeed but there is a slightly annoying element if the quality is relative... it is that your reasoning is very suitable for an "amp", but ironically they have neither a small phono nor a small headphone output, even modest... but on a sort of preamp-streamer, not all in one and with the rather pretentious name of "ultra"?
" wait and heard"... ;-)

Did we change improved from pro plus? the adc part? dac? digital inputs and outputs? better than a inexpensive " pro" in single num outing ? or better of ana outing of "plus"? dsp chip?
;-)

Last edited:
It’s a streamer and nothing more. The add-on freebies are there for the ride and are below average. YMMV, of course.

Sorry, which features do you consider ‘add on freebies’ and what evidence do you have that they’ll be ‘below average’?

This is a digital pre amp streamer. It has lots of inputs (could do with coax in, but that aside has everything else), we already know the streamer is top quality, it looks like that DAC stage will be better than the Pro Plus, which was already transparent, it’ll have minimum 10 bands of PEQ, room correction, a sub out with bass management, and will be Roon ready.

That makes it the best featured digital pre amp on the market. I suspect the weakest link - and a feature many won’t use - will be the ADC stage. Of course, users have the ability to use their own ADC and one of the digital inputs.

Sorry, which features do you consider ‘add on freebies’ and what evidence do you have that they’ll be ‘below average’?

This is a digital pre amp streamer. It has lots of inputs (could do with coax in, but that aside has everything else), we already know the streamer is top quality, it looks like that DAC stage will be better than the Pro Plus, which was already transparent, it’ll have minimum 10 bands of PEQ, room correction, a sub out with bass management, and will be Roon ready.

That makes it the best featured digital pre amp on the market. I suspect the weakest link - and a feature many won’t use - will be the ADC stage. Of course, users have the ability to use their own ADC and one of the digital inputs.
"makes it best" for a non existing device? Brave statement.

Again, we need to consider usage. If you’re using this Ultra with a turntable, you’re already happy to have the signal AD converted; I presume the user would be wanting to take advantage of digital EQ and room correction. Again, if you have a great phono pre-amp, you can connect that to the regular input, or your own ADC, and that to one of the digital inputs.

"makes it best" for a non existing device? Brave statement.

I think you’ll find I said “makes it best featured digital pre amp”. So firstly ‘best featured’. Secondly ‘digital pre amp’.

Can you name another product with the Ultra’s feature set? Can you name another digital pre amp with this feature set?

Many have streamers such don’t offer the full range of digital services. Very few have PEQ. Very few have sub out with bass management. Very few have HDMI in (though that’s increasing). Most that have even some of them cost 4 figures plus. The only one I can think of with a similar range of inputs is the Arylic BP50, which has a poor DAC, measures poorly across the board, useless subwoofer implementation.

Is also say, yes you’re right in the implication that we should wait for it to be reviewed, and nothing’s broken, but it’s equally fair to say that, if they’ve got the streaming and digital side right on the Pro Plus and Amp, it’d be astonishing if they dropped the ball here.

Last edited:
For now I can see or read only marketing announcements. No facts yet. Makes me astonished reading that from an at least ASR near guy like you. As soon as this device is on the market it could be true it will be "the best and so on" but yet it is only a halo. Also it could be the competition is quicker. ;-)

there is one rather sad thing...even if there will still be the possibility of playing with the "razor" mains cable...no more playing with the power supplies...
😭😭😭😭

long live the "plus"!!!
and at least if the power supply dies...we can change it ;-))

For now I can see or read only marketing announcements. No facts yet. Makes me astonished reading that from an at least ASR near guy like you. As soon as this device is on the market it could be true it will be "the best and so on" but yet it is only a halo. Also it could be the competition is quicker. ;-)

You’re wrong, in that the marketing isn’t all we have.

Firstly, we have previous WiiMs and we know the standard. Secondly, we have WiiM’s track record.

Let’s go back to my actual claim (not an edited one). Best featured digital preamp.

Is there any chance this will appear without any of the features we’ve heard, or with some connectors missing? Vanishingly small chance of that, I’d say.

Is that possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. Indeed, it’s highly unlikely, almost to the point where we can safely dismiss the notion.

For clarity, which of the features announced do you think it’s possible we won’t be getting?

And then maybe we can have a wager. 😉

They can use the RME ADI-2 DAC as a reference for a highly useful display, and perhaps use the HDMI output for the artwork and song metadata to drive a display of our choice.

View attachment 6642
Yeah, I have the Adi-dac (fed by my Wiim Pro Plus), and the screen size is great for settings and if you‘re close (it is studio equipment after all), but I (mis)use it in the living room. :)

It‘s just a personal thing that I had hoped for a screen on the Ultra more the size of what the Cambridge Audio Evo line has, large enough to display album art „across the room“, so to speak.

But like I said, the Ultra looks like a great device.

Back