WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
attention topping etc otherwise more experienced in audio than wiim (but the advantage on the streaming part for wiim) goes to "affordable" peq by their price positioning...
the pffb wave on the small Ti chip is launched, but the popular peq too.... wiim is in the general movement

It should go pretty quickly now...
(we can bet that peq modes will quickly become standard even in entry-level products, probably as soon as there is possible connection to a computer, phone, etc)

Last edited:
You’re wrong, in that the marketing isn’t all we have.

Firstly, we have previous WiiMs and we know the standard. Secondly, we have WiiM’s track record.

Let’s go back to my actual claim (not an edited one). Best featured digital preamp.

Is there any chance this will appear without any of the features we’ve heard, or with some connectors missing? Vanishingly small chance of that, I’d say.

Is that possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. Indeed, it’s highly unlikely, almost to the point where we can safely dismiss the notion.

For clarity, which of the features announced do you think it’s possible we won’t be getting?

And then maybe we can have a wager. 😉
Nothing to do with the features, quite sure they will be there. But nothing said about quality. The conclusion from what they done till now and what they will do in future is dangerous. Ask f.e. some Mercedes Benz clients ;-)
To make it clear, I bet it will be good too. But still old school waiting. ;-)

So, we don't actually know too much:
- pictures are renders
- we don't know which dac chip will be implemented and whether it will be better/different implementation than in Pro Plus
- what type of screen will it be (OLED or something else) and what type of information will it be able to display
- pricing is just a speculation at the moment

On the other hand, if they plan to unveil it in Munich, it's really not too far away, 20 days or so... we can wait that long and we'll learn everything then :)

What's interesting to me is the proposed software upgrade of the WiiM platform with new features (multi-band EQ and PEQ, display-related features, and especially room correction), which will hopefully filter down to the WiiM Amp.

As well, possibility to use the USB port as an output is really important, since I presume a lot of people will be interested in upgrading the DAC part of this story.

Finally, I do hope this "another WiiM product" which is mentioned in the Digital Trends will be a matching power amp (maybe in class with those new Fosi Audio products ;)). That would be a scary good combo for hopefully not a lot of money.

I will be with Kuzma more or less the whole day. But for sure will have a look in pavilion 2 too ;-)
(aside...the brand is respected and present around me...on the other hand I realize that I don't really have any feedback on their cartdriges even though they have already been there for a while....)

Nothing to do with the features, quite sure they will be there. But nothing said about quality. The conclusion from what they done till now and what they will do in future is dangerous. Ask f.e. some Mercedes Benz clients ;-)
To make it clear, I bet it will be good too. But still old school waiting. ;-)

My thinking is, I agree we don’t have empirical knowledge, but that aside we have the strongest of suggestions.

Just think. The Mini arrived, was measured, and shown to be an excellent streamer, with bit perfect output. But the DAC wasn’t great. Now just that first part, that must have taken a lot of doing, especially at the price. WiiM went away and worked on it, and eventually delivered the Pro Plus. Everything good about the Mini, but transparent DAC. That doesn’t happen by accident, they clearly know what they’re doing.

As for this one, there’s a “promise of an improved digital-to-analog converter (DAC)”,

Now yes, they could get it wrong somehow, but I just think that’s extremely unlikely. The DAC will almost certainly be better than the Pro Plus - which was already more than good enough - and even if it was only ‘as good’ that’d be fine.

Time will tell, Fender.

(aside...the brand is respected and present around me...on the other hand I realize that I don't really have any feedback on their cartdriges even though they have already been there for a while....)
Personally I am a friend of "families" in audio. So if a turntable manufacturer offers not only the tt and the arme but also the cartridge I love to have a one-point-shopping. This is an example for the cartridge I use.

My thinking is, I agree we don’t have empirical knowledge, but that aside we have the strongest of suggestions.

Just think. The Mini arrived, was measured, and shown to be an excellent streamer, with bit perfect output. But the DAC wasn’t great. Now just that first part, that must have taken a lot of doing, especially at the price. WiiM went away and worked on it, and eventually delivered the Pro Plus. Everything good about the Mini, but transparent DAC. That doesn’t happen by accident, they clearly know what they’re doing.

As for this one, there’s a “promise of an improved digital-to-analog converter (DAC)”,

Now yes, they could get it wrong somehow, but I just think that’s extremely unlikely. The DAC will almost certainly be better than the Pro Plus - which was already more than good enough - and even if it was only ‘as good’ that’d be fine.

Time will tell, Fender.
Hope so too, Steve ;-)

Personally I am a friend of "families" in audio. So if a turntable manufacturer offers not only the tt and the arme but also the cartridge I love to have a one-point-shopping. This is an example for the cartridge I use.
made by a Japanese company(????) with more than 50 years of existence etc. not from Slovenia ;-)
the camber one thing but the cantilever-diam-moteur... another ;-)

for "ultra"....
just wait....
This allows off-topics..
hihi

made by a Japanese company(????) with more than 50 years of existence etc. not from Slovenia ;-)
the camber one thing but the cantilever-diam-moteur... another ;-)

for "ultra"....
just wait....
This allows off-topics..
hihi
It was a bundle. And it impressed me from the very first moment. Even if it is not build "in house", the only company doing that is still Linn, I believe. But who knows. Nevertheless they did the job of choosing quite well.
The p/p relation was the best for me, within the Car range. In which I wanted to shop. When getting to this costs every rationalism is switched off. Its fun and feeling. And one has to decide what is important for him.
Hopefully, this off topic is pardoned ;-)

It was a bundle. And it impressed me from the very first moment. Even if it is not build "in house", the only company doing that is still Linn, I believe. But who knows. Nevertheless they did the job of choosing quite well.
The p/p relation was the best for me, within the Car range. In which I wanted to shop. When getting to this costs every rationalism is switched off. Its fun and feeling. And one has to decide what is important for him.
Hopefully, this off topic is pardoned ;-)
let's say that until the actual arrival of this new device... everything is rather off topic ;-)

It’s a streamer and nothing more. The add-on freebies are there for the ride and are below average. YMMV, of course.

This is just me responding to the same post twice, but I think this is important.

This is a streaming DAC preamp. Guesses as to the price are mainly ranging from £400-£800.

The ‘streaming’ bit will almost certainly be identical to all the other WiiMs, including the Mini which goes for £80. The actual streaming part of that device probably amounts to £60 tops (take away the DAC and ADC).

So this Ultra (£400-£800) is a streaming (£60), DAC pre amp (£340-£740).

Over the last few days I’ve started to think at what price I’d say no. What’s my limit. I think I’d maybe stretch to £600, but who knows.

But here’s the thing. The functionality it offers me, if I’d pay £400-£600 for that, I’d happily pay the same even if it had no streamer.

I have a mini. The streaming is covered.

I think we need to consider that this is a digital pre amp DAC with PEQ, room correction, sub out and bass management. With a great streamer thrown in.

In other words, the exact opposite of “a streamer and nothing more…(with)…add-on freebies there for the ride.”

It’s an extremely well-specced (and based on WiiM’s track record, excellent quality) digital preamp with a streamer there for the ride.

By the way @WiiM Team @WiiM Support
Will you be represented by a distributor in May in Munich? Or will we have the chance to meet some company's stuff live?

Fender, and anyone else, please go armed with a notebook and whole string of questions from us. 😉

I must admit to being quite envious that you have the opportunity. But the high end audiophile trade fare I tried to organise for Slaithwaite never got off the ground.

This is just me responding to the same post twice, but I think this is important.

This is a streaming DAC preamp. Guesses as to the price are mainly ranging from £400-£800.

The ‘streaming’ bit will almost certainly be identical to all the other WiiMs, including the Mini which goes for £80. The actual streaming part of that device probably amounts to £60 tops (take away the DAC and ADC).

So this Ultra (£400-£800) is a streaming (£60), DAC pre amp (£340-£740).

Over the last few days I’ve started to think at what price I’d say no. What’s my limit. I think I’d maybe stretch to £600, but who knows.

But here’s the thing. The functionality it offers me, if I’d pay £400-£600 for that, I’d happily pay the same even if it had no streamer.

I have a mini. The streaming is covered.

I think we need to consider that this is a digital pre amp DAC with PEQ, room correction, sub out and bass management. With a great streamer thrown in.

In other words, the exact opposite of “a streamer and nothing more…(with)…add-on freebies there for the ride.”

It’s an extremely well-specced (and based on WiiM’s track record, excellent quality) digital preamp with a streamer there for the ride.
I agree with you Steve and I would also stretch to £600 but my feeling is it will be below that (hopefully!). I will repurpose my Pro Plus to replace the HEOS built-in on my Denon AVR so I have multiroom with Alexa control/casting. We will have to wait but not for too much longer.

Fender, and anyone else, please go armed with a notebook and whole string of questions from us. 😉

I must admit to being quite envious that you have the opportunity. But the high end audiophile trade fare I tried to organise for Slaithwaite never got off the ground.
The date for Munich was over the years always a little bit tricky for me. This year the 12th, the last of the days which is a Sunday and most likely the best visited (by numbers) day. One day only is nonsense normally, if you look at the companies which are there. But I got that invitation and we will go from Munich for a few days to Tirol for walking, relaxing and Tyrolish food and drink consumption.

Back