WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
switching from spdif to aes is not that complicated or delicate...the solutions are found quite easily
,-)
A simple cable is enough in many cases. Although not always, spdif over coaxial from the Pro to the AES input in RME UCX II doesn't work for 192 kHz.

you try actif converter or specific transformer...?
(but ucx2 have spdif in, no??)

Last edited:
I’d be genuinely interested to hear what features people would like, and which are on other high end devices, which are not on the Ultra.
I was really hoping for a HDMI output to show a playscreen on a TV/display. I already manage the musicplayback with my iPhone or iPad, so no need for a smaller screen on the streamer itself. I rarely listen to music sitting on the floor in front of my rack.

I was also hoping for a AES/EBU output, but I can live with optical/coax to external DAC.

Maybe some new details will show up in Munich, but since my need is a pure streamer - it looks like the Ultra doesnt give me a good reason for upgrading my Pro :-/

I was really hoping for a HDMI output to show a playscreen on a TV/display. I already manage the musicplayback with my iPhone or iPad, so no need for a smaller screen on the streamer itself. I rarely listen to music sitting on the floor in front of my rack.

I was also hoping for a AES/EBU output, but I can live with optical/coax to external DAC.

Maybe some new details will show up in Munich, but since my need is a pure streamer - it looks like the Ultra doesnt give me a good reason for upgrading my Pro :-/
the dac part is very minimal in the "pro"..so really see what a "pure streamer" would be in comparison...what would that impact?

I think the elephant in the room is price. If the Ultra costs any where near 800 pounds then they will be shooting themselves in the foot. I believe many people just want a Pro plus with a USB output.
Pricing is going to be hard/interesting, particularly if the second device they’re talking about releasing at the time is the 110W version of the Amp. How much might that be - £50 or £100 over the £300 the Amp costs? Price that too close to the 60W Amp and most will go the little extra for the increase in power and whatever other enhancements it might have, say PFFB, potentially damaging sales of the cheaper version. Pricing it higher ( in the £400+ region) might then bring it closer in price to the Ultra and cause confusion to prospective less informed buyers.

We do live in interesting times ;)

the dac part is very minimal in the "pro"..so really see what a "pure streamer" would be in comparison...what would that impact?
I have no problem with it having a DAC. What I meant was that most of the new features are about screen, and connectivity/bassmanagement when use as preamp.

If Your usage of a streamer are only to stream music from Qobuz/Tidal/Spotify/Apple Music or from local network, then the only reason to upgrade is if You use the internal DAC or see the advantage of a screen.

Last edited:
Would also love something like a WiiM Pure ;-))
No internal DAC. Ethernet, WiiMs excellent software and support, AES/EBU in and XLR out. But that is a quite egocentric specification book, I know. Still live very good with the Pro.

No internal DAC. Ethernet, WiiMs excellent software and support, AES/EBU in and XLR out. But that is a quite egocentric specification book, I know. Still live very good with the Pro.
what do you gain from it? the cost of a small "first aid dac" like that of the pro is pinuts..almost nothing....

what do you gain from it? the cost of a small "first aid dac" like that of the pro is pinuts..almost nothing....
My mantra reply? Because I would like it ;-)
Thats what I meant with "egocentric".

This is just me responding to the same post twice, but I think this is important.

This is a streaming DAC preamp. Guesses as to the price are mainly ranging from £400-£800.

The ‘streaming’ bit will almost certainly be identical to all the other WiiMs, including the Mini which goes for £80. The actual streaming part of that device probably amounts to £60 tops (take away the DAC and ADC).

So this Ultra (£400-£800) is a streaming (£60), DAC pre amp (£340-£740).

Over the last few days I’ve started to think at what price I’d say no. What’s my limit. I think I’d maybe stretch to £600, but who knows.

But here’s the thing. The functionality it offers me, if I’d pay £400-£600 for that, I’d happily pay the same even if it had no streamer.

I have a mini. The streaming is covered.

I think we need to consider that this is a digital pre amp DAC with PEQ, room correction, sub out and bass management. With a great streamer thrown in.

In other words, the exact opposite of “a streamer and nothing more…(with)…add-on freebies there for the ride.”

It’s an extremely well-specced (and based on WiiM’s track record, excellent quality) digital preamp with a streamer there for the ride.

Many opinions. A lot of emotion from many posters. My opinions/interests do not matter in the grand scheme of things. I simply represent a fairly large number of WiiM customers who just want WiiM's excellent streamer with a clean USB out port.

I own a Mini and a Pro, both connected to high quality external DAC, many times the cost of those streamers. The Mini is OK, but it’s only toslink out and lacks chromecast control. The Pro is very good and OK with SPDIF/coax out. It would be excellent if WiiM would offer a clean USB port out to be used with Unison inputs or iFi filters.

The group I am part of only wants a WiiM Pro with that extra USB port. Nothing else. We do not care about a screen, volume control, EQ of any kind, room correction, sub out, and even less a phono preamp.

So the Ultra is not for us. Will the Pro ever be upgraded? Who knows? What about replacing the Pro with a board with the same circuitry, sans internal DAC, add a clean USB port out and call it WiiM Midget? :)

Last edited:
Many opinions. A lot of emotion from many posters. My opinions/interests do not matter in the grand scheme of things. I simply represent a fairly large number of WiiM customers who just want WiiM's excellent streamer with a clean USB out port.

I own a Mini and a Pro, both connected to high quality external DAC, many times the cost of those streamers. The Mini is OK, but it’s only toslink out and lacks chromecast control. The Pro is very good and OK with SPDIF/coax out. It would be excellent if WiiM would offer a clean USB port out to be used with Unison inputs or iFi filters.

The group I am part of only wants a WiiM Pro with that extra USB port. Nothing else. We do not care about a screen, volume control, EQ of any kind, room correction, sub out, and even less a phono preamp. Will the Pro ever be upgraded? Who knows?
The ultra seems aimed at being everything anyone might need apart from an AMP, in effect an "all in one" system without the drawbacks of traditional "all in one systems" I don't see why so many people are being negative about the WiiM Ultra, it seems like a strong product for people who want one box that does it all.

No-one shopping in this price bracket will need XLR, or i2s, or have a $4000 DAC. Appreciate the product for what it is, and the need it fills.

Some of my 70s vintage kit has the option for DIN inputs, perhaps I should be moaning it doesn't have that too.. (For the record, I'm not)

Just wiim pro plus with sub out and balanced out. Let the streamer be a streamer, not a receiver.

The ultra seems aimed at being everything anyone might need apart from an AMP, in effect an "all in one" system without the drawbacks of traditional "all in one systems" I don't see why so many people are being negative about the WiiM Ultra, it seems like a strong product for people who want one box that does it all.

No-one shopping in this price bracket will need XLR, or i2s, or have a $4000 DAC. Appreciate the product for what it is, and the need it fills.

Some of my 70s vintage kit has the option for DIN inputs, perhaps I should be moaning it doesn't have that too.. (For the record, I'm not)
Its not AGAINST anything. Quite sure the Ultra will find its place.
Its only FOR a pure streamer.
The Ultra is already in the pipeline. So whats wrong discussing another device? Its WiiMs decision how the develop their portfolio. And yes, also people with expensive DACs use WiiMs for its streaming skills.

I don't feel that talking about other things that the ultra is not is this thread's purpose, which was to hype the new product.

We probably need to post ideas for what we want in other thread that serves that purpose, where I spoke about an Amp Pro recently.

What purpose do the XLR-out serve, if "No Internal DAC"?? Without the DAC, there is no Analog output (if any Analog inputs, they would only go straight-through - might as well save the pair of patch cables). Without the DAC, there is no EQ / PEQ or Volume Management. So, while it might save a few $$ on parts, the pricing pressure would be upwards due to so little utility as to have few/none buyers. (Now if you want LinkPlay to engineer a one-off for you at Full Cost-plus - just email them...)

Its sometimes quite difficult to keep the overview in such forums. But anyway, it will happen what will happen. We had a lot off topic in this and other threads, might be the nature.

What purpose do the XLR-out serve, if "No Internal DAC"?? Without the DAC, there is no Analog output (if any Analog inputs, they would only go straight-through - might as well save the pair of patch cables). Without the DAC, there is no EQ / PEQ or Volume Management. So, while it might save a few $$ on parts, the pricing pressure would be upwards due to so little utility as to have few/none buyers. (Now if you want LinkPlay to engineer a one-off for you at Full Cost-plus - just email them...)
Your right, XLR was nonsense of course. Written with too much elan. Anyway, looking for a puristic dream machine will go on for me.

Hm. XLR doesn’t have much to do with the price bracket, just with the *type* of gear you have. With XLR, all you’d need was a pair of (entry level, if you insist) Neumann or Genelec active monitors on top, and be happy for the rest of your days. Three devices. Ultra, left speaker, right speaker. :)

Wouldn‘t be surprised if there was an Ultra Pro on the horizon, with XLR.

Hm. XLR doesn’t have much to do with the price bracket, just with the *type* of gear you have. With XLR, all you’d need was a pair of (entry level, if you insist) Neumann or Genelec active monitors on top, and be happy for the rest of your days. Three devices. Ultra, left speaker, right speaker. :)

Wouldn‘t be surprised if there was an Ultra Pro on the horizon, with XLR.
Why not just use rca to xlr adapters?

Back