Amazon Music app limits to HD

wunderkind

Major Contributor
Hi I noticed that when sending music from Amzn music native app it limits to HD. However when accessing Amzn music via wiim app, the same music is in UHD.

What am I missing? Thanks.

There are two settings needed to have AM in hi-res under all circumstances.
One is in setting of wiim's amazon music browser, the other in WiiM device Amazon alexa setting. Before that, WiiM has to be defined as alexa device.
Someone will be more precise, since is a long time that I don't use AM.

There are two settings needed to have AM in hi-res under all circumstances.
One is in setting of wiim's amazon music browser, the other in WiiM device Amazon alexa setting. Before that, WiiM has to be defined as alexa device.
Someone will be more precise, since is a long time that I don't use AM.
yeah, I guess linking the Alexa account has already been done as the WiiM is at least visible to the Amazon Music app, but as you say you need to make sure that the Amazon Music HD/UHD setting is toggled on under settings from the cog on the Alexa page in the WiiM Home app, as well as under settings on the Amazon Music page in the Wiim Home app. It wouldn’t do any harm to check the amazon music app’s own settings too.

I’d also check that ChromeCast isn’t being used - a WiiM speaker rectangular icon might appear for that in addition to the round AlexaCast icon. ChromeCast only supports HD.

In Amazon Music app Music Settings -> Streaming Quality select HD/Ultra HD
In Amazon Music app Connect to a Device you should see two icons

1697548031850.png

Select the round one

Thanks for the replies.
Interestingly if I access Amazon Music via WHA, I can stream full UHD. But native AMZN app continues to send HD off to Wiim; although when viewing via WHA simultaneously, it shows UHD quality. 🤔 Don't know who to trust.

All of the HD/UHD settings have been enabled in Alexa and CC sub-pages.
Native AMZN Music app streaming quality is forced HD/UHD.
In Amazon Music app Music Settings -> Streaming Quality select HD/Ultra HD
In Amazon Music app Connect to a Device you should see two icons

View attachment 2908

Select the round one

@deaste I can only see the CC icon as I do not have an Alexa account.

Further reading may have me turn of CC in WHA. However that means I can no longer cast anything via Youtube or something else. 😞

Thanks for the replies.
Interestingly if I access Amazon Music via WHA, I can stream full UHD. But native AMZN app continues to send HD off to Wiim; although when viewing via WHA simultaneously, it shows UHD quality. 🤔 Don't know who to trust.

That‘s just a quirk of the amazon music app - it used to show the source track resolution, the target device resolution and the resolution it was actually playing. For some reason, it shows none of that when casting…

All of the HD/UHD settings have been enabled in Alexa and CC sub-pages.
Native AMZN Music app streaming quality is forced HD/UHD.

@deaste I can only see the CC icon as I do not have an Alexa account.

If you have an Amazon music account, then you have an Alexa account, and a Prime Video account, and a Kindle account and…. They’re one and the same thing. What’s required in order to see a round casting icon (rather than the rectangular ChromeCast icon) for your Amazon Music app is linking your Alexa/amazon account via the Alexa menu in the Wiim Home app to enable AlexaCast.
However, as mentioned, your account may be in a region where AlexaCast isn’t supported - in what region is your Amazon account set up?

Hi @Brantome, I am in Canada region. I just scrolled through the WHA and the only indication of Alexa is in the Voice section where I can toggle the language and HD/UHD.
Do I need to install Alexa app too??

Hi @Brantome, I am in Canada region. I just scrolled through the WHA and the only indication of Alexa is in the Voice section where I can toggle the language and HD/UHD.
In the wiim home app. Browse menu, music services, amazon alexa.
Probably at the very end of the list; not alphabetical.

No, the Alexa app isn’t absolutely necessary. You should see an entry for Alexa in the Browse page in the WHA. If not, then choose manage under music services, and toggle on Alexa from that list. Once it appears on the main Browse page, select it then link your Alexa aka Amazon account.

Are you using a .CA Amazon music account?

Yes!!! That was what's needed. I didn't sign into the Alexa account. I just did and Amazon Music app now enables me to stream through Alexa through with the round icon!!! Thank you @Mr Ee and @Brantome 🥳

Interestingly going through AlexaCast method AMZN app doesn't show streaming quality whereas CC does but it is more like teasing you with "Music is 24-bits; 96khz but because you use CC it's 16bits 44.1khz!".

Yes!!! That was what's needed. I didn't sign into the Alexa account. I just did and Amazon Music app now enables me to stream through Alexa through with the round icon!!! Thank you @Mr Ee and @Brantome 🥳

Interestingly going through AlexaCast method AMZN app doesn't show streaming quality whereas CC does but it is more like teasing you with "Music is 24-bits; 96khz but because you use CC it's 16bits 44.1khz!".
iirc, you can see the sample rate info in the wiim app 'now playing' screen, but yes, the AMU app doesn't show it once casting.

Yeah, for some reason the amazon music app doesn’t show the resolution when casting but their help pages do say they respect the capabilities of the device being cast to. If your WiiM is connected to a DAC or digital Amp, you should be able to see the playing resolution there. I do and it does play at the actual source track resolution

Wiim Pro outputs via optical to my Cambridge Audio 640R's DAC. I don't see any resolution on the screen. I presume it works since it didn't go silent on max res during Wiim setup.

Hi I noticed that when sending music from Amzn music native app it limits to HD. However when accessing Amzn music via wiim app, the same music is in UHD.

What am I missing? Thanks.
Very good observation. I'm also concerned with this.

Very good observation. I'm also concerned with this.
Is this when casting to a single wiim, or just when part of a group?
If you are using alexacast, round cast icon in amazon app, to a single wiim then it should be uhd - if you've set the menu options in the wiim app correctly.

Is this when casting to a single wiim, or just when part of a group?
If you are using alexacast, round cast icon in amazon app, to a single wiim then it should be uhd - if you've set the menu options in the wiim app correctly.
Yeah, if the rectangular cast icon is used, then that's ChromeCast which Amazon Music only supports at HD resolution which WiiM can do nothing about, whereas the round AlexaCast icon supports up to 24/192 over AlexaCast

Yeah, if the rectangular cast icon is used, then that's ChromeCast which Amazon Music only supports at HD resolution which WiiM can do nothing about, whereas the round AlexaCast icon supports up to 24/192 over AlexaCast
@Mr Ee,
@Brantome,

I don't think so. Please remember. 😉

When I use Chromecast with Amazon music, WHA shows 24bit/48kHz. And I think it's probably actually SD sound quality.

Last edited:
@Mr Ee,
@Brantome,

I don't think so. Please remember. 😉

When I use Chromecast with Amazon music, WHA shows 24bit/48kHz. And I think it's probably actually SD sound quality.
Strangely though when I use Chromecast from the Amazon Music app on Android, a little HD badge shows on the progress bar viz.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231220-121116.png
    Screenshot_20231220-121116.png
    294.9 KB · Views: 3
Strangely though when I use Chromecast from the Amazon Music app on Android, a little HD badge shows on the progress bar viz.
Yes, sorry. sorry.

I had completely forgotten that I had canceled my Amazon music unlimited....😂😂😂

Back