Another external DAC connection question

jb007

Hi,

Apologies for the noob question, new to streaming and DACs.

I have just ordered the Wiim Mini and would like to connect it to a SMSL SU-1 external DAC, then connect to my Audiolab 6000 amplifier.

How do I do this so I use the SMSL SU-1 DAC and I don’t end up using the DAC in the Audiolab or the DAC in the Wiim Mini?

Many thanks!

And do not forget to choose SPDIF (which means optical in the WiiM app) in the settings for audio out. Just in case...😉

I have the same gears and have one question for the setup. Should I turn on the MQA beta in Audio settings in Wiim home APP since I am a Tidal Hi Fi plus user? If so, what should I select in MQA section? No MQA, Decoder and renderer, or Renderer only?

I have the same gears and have one question for the setup. Should I turn on the MQA beta in Audio settings in Wiim home APP since I am a Tidal Hi Fi plus user? If so, what should I select in MQA section? No MQA, Decoder and renderer, or Renderer only?
Apparently the smsl su-1 is a renderer on all inputs.

Last edited:
I am also considering the same. Is the mini or the pro (not the Plus) and the SMSL SU-1 considered a good pairing?

Ron

I am also considering the same. Is the mini or the pro (not the Plus) and the SMSL SU-1 considered a good pairing?

Ron
Well.......

Some would argue that both the wiim (mini or pro) and the su-1 are cheap as chips therefore can't possibly be any good.
Others would argue that a digital output from mini or pro gives a bit perfect signal, so it's then up to the rest of the chain.
Still more would argue that all dacs sound pretty much the same, so an su-1 is perfectly adequate. My opinion in my admittedly fairly limited, chip based experience so far is that a bad dac sounds bad and all the rest sound very similar!

You can see in my signature below that I have a pro (used to be a mini) feeding an su-9, and it sounds great to me.
I can't personally comment on how much different that'd be if it were an su-1 instead.

The words wiim and su-1 do seem to be a fairly common pairing, so my take from that is that many are quite satisfied.

Ron
Had a very short love and test affair with the Pro (without Plus) and a SMSL C100. Read much that the SU-1 is at least comparable. Quite sure the measurement department can tell more. My opinion was that the WiiM and the SMSL have been a perfect match IN THIS PRICERANGE. Would be my recommendation up to ≈ 250 or 270 Euro.

Well.......

Some would argue that both the wiim (mini or pro) and the su-1 are cheap as chips therefore can't possibly be any good.
Others would argue that a digital output from mini or pro gives a bit perfect signal, so it's then up to the rest of the chain.
Still more would argue that all dacs sound pretty much the same, so an su-1 is perfectly adequate. My opinion in my admittedly fairly limited, chip based experience so far is that a bad dac sounds bad and all the rest sound very similar!

You can see in my signature below that I have a pro (used to be a mini) feeding an su-9, and it sounds great to me.
I can't personally comment on how much different that'd be if it were an su-1 instead.

The words wiim and su-1 do seem to be a fairly common pairing, so my take from that is that many are quite satisfied.
Thanks.

Back