Bluetooth latency problem - bug or expected behaviour?

Another question. When you are casting isn,t another factor how you connected the AMP itself?
I mean..via cable of wifi? Could the option via WIFI be the cause for more delay when watching video,s.

I've done all this and no joy - Tried a factory reset on the amp this morning and made no difference whatsoever.

What firmware version is yours running?

It's odd; during a youtube video this morning I noticed the delay was quite minimal, almost in-sync, but when I clicked a different video it played way out-of-sync again. There's something quite floaty about it all.
The firmware version is 606744 (Feb 5).

In my subsequent tests, I found something that bothered me a little.

If change the quality to a higher quality while the video is playing, or if repeat 10 seconds of fast forward, the delay will increase (for some reason, rewinding 10 seconds will cure the delay.) However, when I connect my WiiM amp to Ethernet, this problem doesn't seem to occur.

By the way, there is no problem when I connect my Bluetooth earphones to smartphone. And the delay was 0.1 seconds.

I also tested Chromecast for Youtube with the Google home app. Unfortunately, there is a delay of almost 5 seconds at the beginning of the video. 😵‍💫

Edit: I think I probably need to do a little more verification, but I think there is something wrong with the WiiM's Bluetooth, both sending and receiving.

The firmware version is 606744 (Feb 5).

Edit: I think I probably need to do a little more verification, but I think there is something wrong with the WiiM's Bluetooth, both sending and receiving.

Will you contact WIIM About it?
I ask myself why doesn't WIIm doesn't add Bluetooth codec's like Aptx or aptxll?
Maybe this would solve some issues with Bluetooth..being it lagging(movies) or Bluetooth stutter.

That's being said..
I think if one one buys an Bluetooth receiver, transmitter all problems would be solved don't you think so?. Especially when you want t watch movies in this way.( Bluetooth,Chromecast ).

But it's important to inform WIIM maybe they can improve this issues..

Last edited:
Will you contact WIIM About it?
I ask myself why doesn't WIIm doesn't add Bluetooth codec's like Aptx or aptxll?
Maybe this would solve some issues with Bluetooth..being it lagging(movies) or Bluetooth stutter.

Yes, I'll test it a bit more and report back to support when the issues become clear. 🙂

That's being said..
I think if one one buys an Bluetooth receiver, transmitter all problems would be solved don't you think so?. Especially when you want t watch movies in this way.( Bluetooth,Chromecast ).

I don't use Bluetooth on my WiiM, but as you say, I think you can substitute it with other Bluetooth devices. However, the WiiM's Bluetooth capability looks excellent compared to that of my AVR. 😅

The reality is that it's very difficult to create an all-in-one device that does everything perfectly. But, the WiiM seems to be up for the challenge. So I can't help but be excited about this product. 🤗

Really i think a bluetooth transmit
Yes, I'll test it a bit more and report back to support when the issues become clear. 🙂

I don't use Bluetooth on my WiiM, but as you say, I think you can substitute it with other Bluetooth devices. However, the WiiM's Bluetooth capability looks excellent compared to that of my AVR. 😅

The reality is that it's very difficult to create an all-in-one device that does everything perfectly. But, the WiiM seems to be up for the challenge. So I can't help but be excited about this product. 🤗
Agree with you totally.

An excellent product.

I've done all this and no joy - Tried a factory reset on the amp this morning and made no difference whatsoever.

What firmware version is yours running?

It's odd; during a youtube video this morning I noticed the delay was quite minimal, almost in-sync, but when I clicked a different video it played way out-of-sync again. There's something quite floaty about it all.
@pjay,

When I turned off AAC in my phone's Bluetooth pairing settings, the latency went below 0.1 seconds. If you haven't tried this yet, give it a try.

I think @Brantome mentioned this before.

Somebody here on this forum stated he's been using it with SBCXQ. Cannot rember who and when, though.
See reaction @e6es6rd6z:
"Yes, absolutely, I use it all the time with the SBC-XQ codec, but it also supports AAC. Latency is usually only a split second, but as always with Bluetooth, its performance is highly dependent on how many other wireless signals are crossing its path."End quote.

https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-amp-bluetooth-input-is-it-possible.2475/

I am a bit sceptical about SBCXQ support.
I understood that SBCXQ was a hack for Android and Linux to transmit at a higher bit rate.
If Wiim have implemented it then great but I'd like to see confirmation

My experience with the Wiim Pro was also that Bluetooth latency was too great to use the device with a Fire stick, even when the Fire stick's own sync function was used to adjust the delay between image and sound. However, this is not a problem unique to the Wiim Pro.
In my experience (and after testing many combinations of devices) the only way Bluetooth works reliably and with acceptable latency for video is if you're using devices that support an explicitly low-latency codec such as AptX Low Latency. I use a MEE Audio AFT-1 transmitter and a 1Mii DS200 Pro receiver to transmit audio via Bluetooth from my TV/DVD to an old Marantz amplifier and there's so little latency that it's unnoticeable in filmn and TV dialogue.
My impression is that the Wiim devices - which are, after all, designed for audio, not video - could only eradicate the latency you're experiencing by adding AptXLL to the feature set - which would of course introduce additional cost.

I am a bit sceptical about SBCXQ support.
I understood that SBCXQ was a hack for Android and Linux to transmit at a higher bit rate.
If Wiim have implemented it then great but I'd like to see confirmation

Wiim don't need to implement it, actually! Pretty much any modern device that supports SBC also supports SBC-XQ. SBC's "high" quality setting defaults to (is hard-coded to) 320 kbps, but the SBC protocol itself doesn't actually place a limit on how high the bitrate can go. SBC-XQ is not a separate protocol but just a way to make use of modern Bluetooth chips' full potential. See my reply here:

One thing I don't know is whether the Wiim Amp can also *transmit* SBC-XQ. The device runs on Linux, so in theory it should be able to, but I'm not sure how to test whether it actually does.

Last edited:
One thing I don't know is whether the Wiim Amp can also *transmit* SBC-XQ. The device runs on Linux, so in theory it should be able, but I'm not sure how to test it whether it actually does.
Thank you for all the information.
I wonder if it can transmit SBCXQ.

I've been using Chromecast and splitting out the audio to a cheap (£15) bluetooth transmitter sending to an equally cheap BT receiver connected to a stereo amp. Watching YouTube videos was perfect with no noticeable latency. When I got the Wiim Pro Plus I paired it direct to the Chromecast and expected a better sound but latency is severe.. about 1 sec.. So gone back to previous setup.. I don't know if the problem is with the Chromecast or the Wiim.

I also have a problem with Bluetooth on the Wiim Amp. There is too much delay, about 1 second too much. I connect the phone from about 1m away and when listening to music from files there is a long delay when rewinding or changing the song. The other Bluetooth devices I connect to do not have this problem. I wonder if the problem will be solved. Or maybe someone knows how to improve it?

I tested it and noticed that after reconnecting there was no such delay. Now it's ok. I don't know what it depends on.

Back