Casting from Amazon Music app

Thanks. I thought I might be onto something but still at square one. It happens on an Android and iOs device so not just the Android app, but I've uninstalled/reinstalled it a few times anyway. Guess we might never know what the problem is

Amazon Music's Alexa has slightly different specifications. Basically, it is a function for voice control of the AM app on the phone.
I’d disagree on that - it’s an interface to Alexa same as that in the Alexa app. For example, lying here in bed, I can ask my Amazon Music app to “play music on bathroom dot” and it works ok.

For the OP, I’d change the name of his WiiM device in the Alexa app to something shorter, maybe just Pro, as the simpler the name, the better chance it has to be understood. Alexa seems to struggle with how WiiM is pronounced in my experience.

There does seem to be a disjoint between his Alexa and Amazon Music account that perhaps a call to Amazon might help.

Having set up the everywhere group, does that too fail to appear in the Amazon Music app when the cast icon is chosen?

I’d disagree on that - it’s an interface to Alexa same as that in the Alexa app. For example, lying here in bed, I can ask my Amazon Music app to “play music on bathroom dot” and it works ok.

For the OP, I’d change the name of his WiiM device in the Alexa app to something shorter, maybe just Pro, as the simpler the name, the better chance it has to be understood. Alexa seems to struggle with how WiiM is pronounced in my experience.

There does seem to be a disjoint between his Alexa and Amazon Music account that perhaps a call to Amazon might help.

Having set up the everywhere group, does that too fail to appear in the Amazon Music app when the cast icon is chosen?
Yes changing the name to Pro worked when I said "Alexa play Born to Run on Pro". (Hate to think what it made of my Australian accent when i said Wiim. I'm surprised it can understand Pro!) Still nothing appears when the cast icon is presses in the Amazon Music app (other than a couple of chromecast devices).

Yes changing the name to Pro worked when I said "Alexa play Born to Run on Pro". (Hate to think what it made of my Australian accent when i said Wiim. I'm surprised it can understand Pro!) Still nothing appears when the cast icon is presses in the Amazon Music app (other than a couple of chromecast devices).
It’s weird that the AM app doesn’t see the everywhere group either. Given AlexaCast has been confirmed by another user as available in Australia , there must be something awry with your Alexa/Amazon Music account setup that Amazon might be able to spot. Pity you don’t have a real echo to try as that would make things a lot easier when you speak to Amazon - as I’ve said, there’s a snowball’s chance in hell that the agent you speak to will know what a WiiM device is…

I may be wrong,
But i don't think Alexa in Amazon Music can add or like tracks to playlists with voice Control.
It differs from Echo devices in these respects.

I may be wrong,
But i don't think Alexa in Amazon Music can add or like tracks to playlists with voice Control.
It differs from Echo devices in these respects.
I think you can only ask the echo device that’s playing the music to do that, and given your phone isn’t an echo, maybe that’s not surprising. Anyway, we digress :)

By the way,
Can you cast to Pro with Chromecast from the AM app?

Amended response: while the original post would suggest so, it doesn’t appear in his later screenshots.
Yes, I thought the same way.

If he you can't use Chromecast, it's less likely that there's a problem with his Amazon account, right?

Yes, I thought the same way.

If he you can't use Chromecast, it's less likely that there's a problem with his Amazon account, right?
Yeah. Maybe a network issue? I might have suggested checking that the app has local network permissions but the fact that he can see other ChromeCast devices, that’s maybe ok. Maybe the app and WiiM are on different access points, although that if itself shouldn’t cause an issue as local networking isn’t mentioned as a prerequisite in the AlexaCast help page

Yeah. Maybe a network issue? I might have suggested checking that the app has local network permissions but the fact that he can see other ChromeCast devices, that’s maybe ok. Maybe the app and WiiM are on different access points, although that if itself shouldn’t cause an issue as local networking isn’t mentioned as a prerequisite in the AlexaCast help page
Sorry for the confusion. In my initial setup I enabled both Chromecast and Alex, and the Pro was in my list of devices to cast to. In later reinstalls i did not enable Chromecast.

I have been delving into my Amazon account and I'm getting a bit confused. To manage content and devices, from amazon.com.au, where i can't see anything, I am told to sign in to Amazon.com - where I can see all of my content and devices, including the WiiM. In the Amazon shopping app, I can't see any devices at all, like the .au site

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. In my initial setup I enabled both Chromecast and Alex, and the Pro was in my list of devices to cast to. In later reinstalls i did not enable Chromecast.

I have been delving into my Amazon account and I'm getting a bit confused. To manage content and devices, from amazon.com.au I am told to sign in to Amazon.com - where I can see all of my content and devices, including the WiiM. In amazon.com.au I can only see a Fire TV. In the Amazon Prime app, I can't see any devices at all!
No problem.

Re your account, what does the music settings link I posted show re where your music account is?

Ok, that’s as I would expect. However, the differences you note between .com and .com.au might be the source of your issues - Amazon may be able to help there.

@Mr Ee - you said AlexaCast does work in Australia - if you still have an active amazon music subscription, do you notice the same disparities re devices that @DubZ mentions above between .com and .com.au?

Forgive me if I missed the mark.
What would happen if all WiiM settings were set to US?

Forgive me if I missed the mark.
What would happen if all WiiM settings were set to US?
Given that Amazon Australia seems allied to Amazon.com (I seem to recall that the .com.au domain came later), then it could well be a source of confusion. Maybe checking the country/region preference under manage devices and contents needs to be done too - that tends to dictate the “marketplace“ for things like Alexa and maybe music too.

I’ll keep googling Alexa and amazon music resources to see if they have any clues as the root cause

Ok, that’s as I would expect. However, the differences you note between .com and .com.au might be the source of your issues - Amazon may be able to help there.

@Mr Ee - you said AlexaCast does work in Australia - if you still have an active amazon music subscription, do you notice the same disparities re devices that @DubZ mentions above between .com and .com.au?
Sorry, I ditched Amazon a number of months back.
That app...!

Sorry, I ditched Amazon a number of months back.
That app...!
Given that every Amazon account still has access to the basic free amazon music service, could you please check your Amazon account settings around manage your device and content etc parts that @DubZ mentions above to see if your Wiim sit’s where his does? Unless you’ve totally zapped your amazon account of course ;)

Back