Does WiiM bring anything to the SONOS party?

Pcryan5

Major Contributor
A friend is impressed with my WiiM Mini (who isn’t?) and is thinking of getting one.

He has two SONO Fives and an ARC and uses Apple Music exclusively.

I don't see any way a WiiM would be of value but thought I best ask the experts. :)

I hope so … would love to cast to Sonos speakers so that I can use 1 app/ecosystem for all my musical needs (including Roon Ready endpoint). And I believe its gonna happen if I understand this correctly on their roadmap:

• Cast to Sonos and other 3rd DLNA devices

I hope so as well. That is one of the pieces I was looking for when I bought the Wiim pro. I'm brand new to this whole streaming arena, but reading the description, it appeared to support any input to any output. The scenarios I wanted to try were streaming from my legacy stereo / CD system to a DLNA capable system in another room. Can't do that today. I also thought I understood that you could cast TO a Chromecast device from the Wiim Pro. Also apparently untrue. I even tried going from line in to a Bluetooth destination. This also appears to be unsupported. I'm hoping one or more of these scenarios get filled in soon.

When I get the Pro unit (I only have Mini for now), I plan to put Mini in kitchen and analog out to Sonos Connect input to give me the Sonos speakers option. Not sure how well this will work and sound. In my main listening room I will then have the new Pro to listen (using either Bluetooth headphones or my receiver speakers via SPDIF like I do today with the Mini). With the Pro I also plan to hook TV SPDIF output into Pro to have that option available as well.

A lot of people seem to be talking about TV audio into Pro optical in.
2 potential issues spring to mind that some may not have realised

1. Latency. You are almost certain to see (hear) some as the actual audio is delivered one further step onward
2. I’m led to believe that the WiiM won’t pass 5.1 audio. It will be limited to stereo

In these circumstances I’d avoid using the optical in for TV but a CD would be fine

1. Latency. You are almost certain to see (hear) some as the actual audio is delivered one further step onward
2. I’m led to believe that the WiiM won’t pass 5.1 audio. It will be limited to stereo

In these circumstances I’d avoid using the optical in for TV but a CD would be fine
I agree with your points - for my use case with TV optical into WiiM Pro, it’s for multi-room audio (so I can stream sports or TV music apps for example around the house), so not overly concerned about latency when using it this way.

I’ve done tests using Bluetooth headphone connections direct to TV, AVR, and Apple TV 4K when watching movies. Apple TV wins for me, but curious how well it will work with the WiiM Pro bluetooth connection via TV optical in when I get it (just to try and simplify things a bit).

Linkplay has declared that the latency had been lowered to 20 ms in the latest FW.

Linkplay has declared that the latency had been lowered to 20 ms in the latest FW.
Are they referring to Aux Out?
If using digital pass through the latency will depend as much on the external DAC as the WiiM

Are they referring to Aux Out?
If using digital pass through the latency will depend as much on the external DAC as the WiiM
Well, it was about processing incoming digital or analog signal. No idea if latency differs then on WiiM outputs. Latency introduced by an external DAC is another story.

Back