Dual Network Interface for WiiM Amp

JirkaT

Currently, WiFi is mutually exclusive with Ethernet. (When Ethernet cable is inserted, WiFi is disabled and vice versa.)

Would it be possible to have both network interfaces active at the same time? No routing, only 2 interfaces.

E.g., I would appreciate if I can control WiiM via WiFi (using mobile phone) while WiiM Amp can have Ethernet as source at the same time.

DLink DIR-505 does have a repeater mode and and reading the manual you can also disable DHCP even when using Router mode.

I think the solution is in your hands and you don't need any extra equipment just some configuration changes of what you already have

BTW. It looks, that WiiM Amp (now connected via Ethernet) has both interfaces (Ethernet and WiFi) "live" at the same time!
I can minimally "see" both in Advanced IP scanner running on PC (Ethernet). And from mobile (WiFi) I can ping both.
It may indicate answer for my previous still unanswered question (from where the mutual exclusivity of both interface stems): it is not the hw that prohibits dual interface usage, the brake must be at some higher level (OS or app).
That is quite normal. Does the WiFI have a different IP / Subnet to the Ethernet ?

@d6jg

see post #3

the OP has two subnets
I know. I'm asking whether there is one interface on each with different IPs/subnets to check that the DHCP server on his routers are working correctly but the issue is that the discovery mechanism won't hop across subnets when one is NATd from the other.

the issue is that the discovery mechanism won't hop across subnets when one is NATd from the other.
Yes, the issue is with that there is used discovery mechanism tha is able to work only inside of (one) network. I.e. the mechanism is not able to "hop" to another routed network.
No, there is no NAT, in this case it is pure routing.
And the discovery mechanism is (mis)used for "normal" operation.

My idea of workaround (for no dual interface) would be to try to connect secondary ip address if connection mechanism (the discovery) fails (using the same interface for both attempts). Note that the configuration can "know" both device's addresses: keeping WiFi address as apscil0 and Ethernet address as eth0.
Maybe, shall I rather stop this and start a new thread possibly named "Add fixed ip address and second/backup connection mechanism"?

You can easily try
https://<your_wiim_ip>/httpapi.asp?command=getStatusEx
In case of active Ethernet, there is "apcli0": "0.0.0.0", "eth0": "192.168.10.76", while when WiFi is active, there is "apcli0": "192.168.0.111", "eth0": "0.0.0.0". In both cases there is also (probably unused) "eth2": "0.0.0.0".

BTW, there are other not pleasant features:
Only 4 buttons for presets on the remote control without possibility to reach presets 5-12.
Missing "Music Services" in windows version of WiiM Home app.

It would be fine, if set of API (up-to-date and complete) will be published. We could perhaps learn more :)

Last edited:
Back