Echo Plus 2nd Gen??

NSM86

Hi Guys.

So I have replaced my Sonos with some better speakers and 2 wiims. The sounds incredible.

However…..

The missus likes a speaker in the bathroom. We currently have a Sonos 1 on the bench top. The problem is we usually stream music around the house so we can’t use the Sonos and the wiims together.

I have looked at the Amazon echo plus 2nd gen that has a 3.5mm jack which I could add a wiim mini to. But the question is can a wiim play directly out of this speaker?

Afaik all WiiM devices can be grouped with Echo speakers. You should be able to group an Echo Plus 2gen with one (or all) of your WiiM devices and stream the same music to that group.
No need for an additional device.

Afaik all WiiM devices can be grouped with Echo speakers. You should be able to group an Echo Plus 2gen with one (or all) of your WiiM devices and stream the same music to that group.
No need for an additional device.
Yeah, but you'd need to be playing a music service supported by Alexa

I use Spotify which I think is supported.

So if wiim supports Alexa devices do I still need a wiim mini?

I have 2x wiim already. A pro and a pro plus but they can’t stream to an Alexa at the same time as playing to a wire connection?

In answer to your question, according to the product page on Amazon, the 3.5mm jack on the Echo Plus 2nd Gen can be either an audio input or output, so yes can have the output of a WiiM play through the Echo Plus.

As Brantome has pointed out, when WiiMs and Echos are combined into one ecosystem, the WiiMs become endpoints in the Alexa ecosystem. The Echos do not become endpoints in the WiiM ecosystem. This means using Alexa you cannot send content connected through one of the WiiM inputs (line in, SPDIF in) to a group of speakers that include Echos unless the Echo has a WiiM connected to it.

...Long winded way of saying you still may want a WiiM connected to an Echo. Or just get a speaker with a 3.5 mm input and connnect a WiiM to it.

I think you can stream Spotify to a group of Alexa speakers but it may be only with the paid Spotify subscription.

In answer to your question, according to the product page on Amazon, the 3.5mm jack on the Echo Plus 2nd Gen can be either an audio input or output, so yes can have the output of a WiiM play through the Echo Plus.

As Brantome has pointed out, when WiiMs and Echos are combined into one ecosystem, the WiiMs become endpoints in the Alexa ecosystem. The Echos do not become endpoints in the WiiM ecosystem. This means using Alexa you cannot send content connected through one of the WiiM inputs (line in, SPDIF in) to a group of speakers that include Echos unless the Echo has a WiiM connected to it.

...Long winded way of saying you still may want a WiiM connected to an Echo. Or just get a speaker with a 3.5 mm input and connnect a WiiM to it.

I think you can stream Spotify to a group of Alexa speakers but it may be only with the paid Spotify subscription.
This is a fantastic reply.

So if I use a wiim mini to the Alexa I can use it like any other speaker on my wiim setup?

Can you recommend a speaker I can put in a bathroom with a 3.5mm jack similar to a Sonos 1. It’s just my Sonos was always on. So would an Alexa. I just want something I can open Spotify and hit play and it goes to all my wiims

This is a fantastic reply.

So if I use a wiim mini to the Alexa I can use it like any other speaker on my wiim setup?

Can you recommend a speaker I can put in a bathroom with a 3.5mm jack similar to a Sonos 1. It’s just my Sonos was always on. So would an Alexa. I just want something I can open Spotify and hit play and it goes to all my wiims
If you connect a WiiM Mini to an Echo Plus (input) using a 3.5 mm cable, the Echo Plus speaker should behave like any other speaker on the WiiM setup. I say should because I have not done this to be able to confirm it.

I don't have any specific recommendations for a speaker. The Echo Plus looks pretty good to me. Perhaps a JBL Charge 4 as an alternative?

If you connect a WiiM Mini to an Echo Plus (input) using a 3.5 mm cable, the Echo Plus speaker should behave like any other speaker on the WiiM setup. I say should because I have not done this to be able to confirm it.

I don't have any specific recommendations for a speaker. The Echo Plus looks pretty good to me. Perhaps a JBL Charge 4 as an alternative?
Well I just bit the bullet on the echo plus with a wiim mini. Will know if it works when it all comes haha

Thanks for the help

Back