Music party question? How to have multiple users 5-6 send to Mini?

FrankC1450

Hi, I have a Wiim Mini connected to my stereo with phono cables. We have music parties with everyone (5-6) taking turns streaming music while the others listen. We used to burn the music to CDs and I would be the DJ. Now everyone's music is on their phones. I used to use a cheap BT adapter. Now I have the Mini.
I've tried BT connections but BT doesn't want to let go once you're connected. Two people can connect but I have to force it into pairing mode to connect to the third.
We tried airplay connections last time. But after two people have connected the third gets locked out again. It's even harder to disconnect them.

Any ideas on how I can do this? It is a very fun party idea if you want to try.

Frank

If you disconnect from airplay each time someone is finished, are you saying a second can’t then connect? I would have thought disconnecting then reconnecting from a new device wouldn’t cause an issue, but I would expect issues If you were attempting to maintain multiple connections.

So, you don't really disconnect from airplay. You just select airplay, hit play, hit stop.
I suppose we could try to select the iPhone speaker when the song was done. Then go to the next person's song. I'll have too setup a test.

So, you don't really disconnect from airplay. You just select airplay, hit play, hit stop.
I suppose we could try to select the iPhone speaker when the song was done. Then go to the next person's song. I'll have too setup a test.
Yeah, I'd disconnect by reverting back to the phone speaker each time someone's time was up

Answering your other question, two sources can connect at the same time. Whoever hits play last takes over the Wiim.

Yes, I need more than two sources, 5-6. I'll try your suggestion that's not too hard for most people.

I would just have everyone, in turn, ask Alexa to play from whichever default music service you're using. No connecting / disconnecting hassle. An Echo Dot or the WiiM remote will do the job.

I would just have everyone, in turn, ask Alexa to play from whichever default music service you're using. No connecting / disconnecting hassle. An Echo Dot or the WiiM remote will do the job.
Won't work though for the music on their phones unless you mean asking for the streaming version instead

Who has music on their phones anymore!!
How about a single phone / tablet that everyone fights over to choose the next song, or just keep on adding to the Mini's playlist ;)

Or maybe Spotify has a social solution for multiple people to listen to a shared, constantly changing playlist?

Who has music on their phones anymore!!
How about a single phone / tablet that everyone fights over to choose the next song, or just keep on adding to the Mini's playlist ;)

Or maybe Spotify has a social solution for multiple people to listen to a shared, constantly changing playlist?
Spotify does have a feature for this but I'm not sure it will work exactly how you want and it requires each user to have a premium subscription and is limited to 5 accounts.

Over in the LMS world we would probably do this with tablet and/or phones controlling LMS using Material in party mode - limits control to a single player (WiiM Pro) and only allows playlist management.
You’d only need one decent Music Service account whether Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer or Spotify.

Over in the LMS world we would probably do this with tablet and/or phones controlling LMS using Material in party mode - limits control to a single player (WiiM Pro) and only allows playlist management.
You’d only need one decent Music Service account whether Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer or Spotify.
I thought about bringing this up but I had a feeling you would and you do so much better of a job explaining the LMS stuff. 🤪

As @Mr Ee said, I think it's worth a try with Spotify's Jam feature. Of course, in this case, all members need to use Spotify premium.

Another suggestion.

Buy one or two tablets (example, Fire tablets) and share a single account with everyone.

Exactly. Pretty much everything is on the streaming services now. Besides, Alexa will get something wrong, adding to the fun and games.
A Qobuz account might be a good answer they would just have to tell me what they wanted to play. The songs get pretty obscure at times; some might not be findable but it's a good option. If they tell me ahead of time I could make sure too have it.

We're getting ready for Thanksgiving here, not much time left in the day too test options.

A Qobuz account might be a good answer they would just have to tell me what they wanted to play. The songs get pretty obscure at times; some might not be findable but it's a good option. If they tell me ahead of time I could make sure too have it.

We're getting ready for Thanksgiving here, not much time left in the day too test options.
Is there an issue with having them use Wiim home app, as that would be the obvious solution?

you could just make a collaborative playlist in spotify. This is also available for free accounts (adding songs to the playlist).

Back