Music party question? How to have multiple users 5-6 send to Mini?

FrankC1450

Hi, I have a Wiim Mini connected to my stereo with phono cables. We have music parties with everyone (5-6) taking turns streaming music while the others listen. We used to burn the music to CDs and I would be the DJ. Now everyone's music is on their phones. I used to use a cheap BT adapter. Now I have the Mini.
I've tried BT connections but BT doesn't want to let go once you're connected. Two people can connect but I have to force it into pairing mode to connect to the third.
We tried airplay connections last time. But after two people have connected the third gets locked out again. It's even harder to disconnect them.

Any ideas on how I can do this? It is a very fun party idea if you want to try.

Frank

Ok, I had some time today to experiment with Wiim and airplay. I got four apple devices, two iphones and two ipads.
So, I was able to reproduce the problems I had on my music party night.
I started playing songs from each of the devices in turn.
Paused each device before going to the next.
When I got to the fourth device it hung when trying to select airplay. I had to kill the Music app on that device and several of the others.
Second try: unselecting the Wiim after pausing the song.
I had all the devices in front of me, open to the music app.
As I played music from the first device if I opened any other device's airplay window I could see the Wiim and what song was playing.
Then I paused the first device and opened the airplay window and selected it's self instead of the Wiim. The other devices noticed as soon as I did this.
So,I repeated this with all four devices over and over.
Bottom line, as long as the device releases the Wiim ( i.e. selects it's self for speaker) the next devices had no problem.

So, I think I have my fix! Each device has to disconnect from the Wiim before the next player goes. I think even my technophobe friends will be able to manage with a little coaxing.

Brantome had the answer!
And thank you for all the great suggestions. Passing around a Quobuz or Tidal device would also have worked unless we couldn't find a song version.

Thanks everyone!

If you install (free) bubbleupnp server on a suitable device (Mac/pc/Linux/Nas), and a suitable upnp control point on your phone/tablet/pc (bubbleupnp, kazoo, lumin, upnplay), you can have multiple users controlling the same upnp queue. Some of those control points will proxy Qobuz or Tidal.

Back