New setup - optical out 192kHz/24 bit 'interference'

Takedown

Hi everyone πŸ‘‹πŸ» Nube to Wiim & this forum (e.g. be gentle πŸ˜‰)

My lovely lady has bought me a Pro Plus for Christmas, which arrived today. Like any caring husband/recipient would do, I set about testing my present prior to her wrapping it for the big day, so as she wouldn't be upset if there were any problems with it πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‰

Unfortunately there does appear to be a problem!

I set up the 'soon to to be mine' Pro Plus - super easy by the way πŸ‘ŒπŸ» Connected my Amazon Music account, connected the Wiim to my DAC, set the SPDIF output resolution to 192kHz/24.

OH DEAR - a combination of clicks and 'mis-stepping' on both the test audio and various tracks I play πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜Ÿ

I changed optical cables, 2 just didn't work, the one that did made NO difference! On the verge of returning it I looked on line and saw people had various issues with the Wiim optical output. So I decided to try switching to coaxial at 192kHz/24 - PERFECT πŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Have others experienced similar problems with the SPDIF output? is it just my device? Have I done something wrong?

Btw FW version 4.8.536232

Thanks for your help.
Paul

Are you using the supplied optical cable and is it firmly seated at both ends? Which DAC are you using? Have you tried anything else that delivers 24/192 into your DAC over optical?

I’ve used the supplied optical cable with my WiiM Mini since day one into my Linn MDSM/4 with no issue. I used coax for my Pro and analog for my Pro Plus coincidentally but only because I only have one of each input.

Thanks @Brantome πŸ™
Yes, using the supplied optical cable and it's properly seated - one of the first things I checked as I thought it was an installation error on my part - but it all appears good.

DAC wise I'm using a K5 Pro ESS. I don't have another source with optical output at 192kHz/24 unfortunately. What I haven't tried is the optical output into my CXA61 directly - I'll try that tomorrow (if I can persuade her in doors I should keep it for another day before she has it back πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜‰πŸ€£), thanks again πŸ™

Thanks @Mr Ee,
That looks like the answer right there - I need to RTFM before asking questions on forums πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ‘ŒπŸ»
Well, sometimes manufactures only state support for up to 96khz on optical even though 192 often works, to cover themselves for when it doesn't!
For manufactures to state 96 for coax too usually means 192 is v. likely to not work, but as 192 over coax seemed to work for you then I guess your options are to stick with coax, or go optical and set the wiim to 96 max.
Either way, enjoy it!

Edit: or use the pro's dac, wiim analog out to fiio line in.
I'd recommend getting a different (read better ;)) rca cable than the one provided.
However, I'm not sure if the fiio does adc on the line in signal. Website implies it does, how I'm reading it anyway...

Last edited:
Thanks @Mr Ee - I appreciate your input πŸ‘πŸ»

I think there are a few things here, in no particular order EXCEPT the last which is the most important!:
  • I have the options to run line out either to the Fiio OR directly to my CXA
  • I can run the optical to the Fiio and drop the resolution 96Khz/24bit
  • I can (as you rightly point out again) just stick with the coax - although I should try dropping the resolution on that to 96khz and A/B it to make sure there is no degradation at 192khz that I haven't noticed in my rush!
  • I can run optical out to my CXA and use its inbuilt DAC.
  • LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST - I probably need to stop worrying about whether my streams are at 96khz or 192khz - I probably can't HEAR the difference anyway if blind tested! MOST importantly I need to enjoy the music (and my Wiim) πŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

Thank you for you input and suggestions πŸ™

Yeah, your last point is very important. A lot of us, myself included, were number and LED light chasers when we first got our hands on DACs, hi res streaming services and our WiiM devices. After a while, even leaving aside the argument as to whether we can hear the differences at higher resolutions, we realised that a well mastered source trumps all irrespective of whether it’s CD or 24/192 quality. Or rather, enjoyment of the music itself trumps all…

Enjoy what Santa brings you ;)

Back