Options for controlling LMS

Right, I've now had time to try playing MP3 files.

They play fine and can be controlled from my phone using Material Skin, so the problem is with ALAC files.

I will raise a ticket with WiiM.

Thank you to all of you who have helped and in particular to d6jg.
Were you transcoding the ALAC files using the UPNPBridge plugin? WiiM should be able to play ALAC files natively iirc

Were you transcoding the ALAC files using the UPNPBridge plugin? WiiM should be able to play ALAC files natively iirc
Isn't it more how LMS handles the Transcode for squeezelite. The post I can't find (grr) suggests disabling the native setting for alac in File Types (lms advanced settings). .

Isn't it more how LMS handles the Transcode for squeezelite. The post I can't find (grr) suggests disabling the native setting for alac in File Types.
I’m back.

Yes I agree that it is something in file types. I have no ALAC files to try with but I can create some over the weekend.

@Brantome the native WiiM can handle ALAC but Squeezelite maybe can’t.

@AlanB LMS can transcode virtually anything . It’s just a question of finding the right settings. And we need to make the Ethernet IP static

Have you checked the settings in the Logitech Media Server program Settings --> Advanced --> File Types?

Lots of different settings for a wide variety of file types there.

I had the same problem, I could not get my ALAC files to play through my WiiM Pro so I raised a ticket with WiiM support. They responded on October 30 saying:

"We regret to inform you that, currently, our WiiM Pro devices do not support the playback of ALAC when using Squeezelite. However ...will consider integrating this format in future updates."

So, if you have ALAC files please let them know you would like to see this integrated.

I had the same problem, I could not get my ALAC files to play through my WiiM Pro so I raised a ticket with WiiM support. They responded on October 30 saying:

"We regret to inform you that, currently, our WiiM Pro devices do not support the playback of ALAC when using Squeezelite. However ...will consider integrating this format in future updates."

So, if you have ALAC files please let them know you would like to see this integrated.

Thanks, I'll raise a ticket.

I have over 500 CD's ripped to ALAC and also MP3 for my mobile devices.

However only about 20 odd are not available on Amazon Music, so as a temporary measure I could rip those few to FLAC.

Thanks, I'll raise a ticket.

I have over 500 CD's ripped to ALAC and also MP3 for my mobile devices.

However only about 20 odd are not available on Amazon Music, so as a temporary measure I could rip those few to FLAC.
I’m sure LMS can transcode them to FLAC on the fly, no need to rip the CDs again. @d6jg can best advise.

Yes you can tell LMS to always transcode ALAC.
You do it in Server / Advanced / File Types
What actual settings you need I don’t currently know but I will convert some test files from FLAC to ALAC and fiddle in my test system and get back to you with screenshots.
Shouldn’t take long

Are they .M4A files?

If so change this File Type from Native to Disabled

Server / File Types

1699089843825.png

EDIT
Make sure you "Save Settings" at bottom after changing. No server restart required.

Last edited:
Is this a limitation of squeezelite or squeezelite on the WiiM?

I assume any fix - if one is needed at all - would need to come from upstream wouldn't it? No point asking WiiM.

Is this a limitation of squeezelite or squeezelite on the WiiM?

I assume any fix - if one is needed at all - would need to come from upstream wouldn't it? No point asking WiiM.
Not sure but since LMS can easily transcode it isn't a big issue.
There are tools available to convert files en masse if it ever became necessary to do so - dbPowerAmp Reference Edition for example which I used to convert from FLAC to Apple Lossless for testing.

There are tools available to convert files en masse if it ever became necessary to do so - dbPowerAmp Reference Edition for example which I used to convert from FLAC to Apple Lossless for testing.
I guess most people probably apply some form of replaygain anyway, so that would fix it.

Checked.
It is Squeezelite on WiiM. There must be some library or other missing

Worst case scenario just convert alac to flac, foobar can do batch conversions. Then delete alac files.

Back