PEQ bands

Just another plug for HouseCurve (https://housecurve.com/) for those in the Apple universe, what’s more I think this little app could easily be Integrated into Wiim Home app (well easily for a developer that is! :))

You may have no problem, but many find REW close to impenetrable, certainly at first.
Agreed. To dive into such detail takes a lot of effort, know how, trial and error. For the everyday user/listener automatic room correction would be great. And if provided cleverly, it could be combined with different PEQ settings which might be tuned to different house curves.

Housecurve is the most fun app I’ve bought in long time, well worth the $8. Anything I can connect my phone to I can measure. Boy was my car stereo off.

I had first hick-ups today with the WIIM Pro Plus. Tidal Connect was no longer working. I made several tries, restarted the WIIM App and the Tidal App and it did not work. Then I restarted the WIIM Pro Plus and I could use Tidal Connect again. BUT, sadly my PEQ settigs were gone! To put them back in again is cumbersome and you need to know them. Does anybody know, if this is a known issue. I not willing to try another Restart yet 🙃

I had first hick-ups today with the WIIM Pro Plus. Tidal Connect was no longer working. I made several tries, restarted the WIIM App and the Tidal App and it did not work. Then I restarted the WIIM Pro Plus and I could use Tidal Connect again. BUT, sadly my PEQ settigs were gone! To put them back in again is cumbersome and you need to know them. Does anybody know, if this is a known issue. I not willing to try another Restart yet 🙃
It happened again. PEQ settings lost. I really assume a bug here and will contact WIIM support. This way the PEQ is unusable.

I don't have that problem either, and I switch mine off at the mains every evening. Nothing is left powered up, so gets rebooted daily.

It happened again. PEQ settings lost. I really assume a bug here and will contact WIIM support. This way the PEQ is unusable.
As @Brantome said, you probably didn't save PEQ. One suggestion is to take a screenshot of the PEQ screen in case the data is lost.

So, I finally managed to set up my own WiiM Pro, which I purchased to replace a BlueSound streamer. (I'm using an external DAC, so no need for Pro Plus).
I was hoping for some basic sub-500Hz Room Correction with the built-in PEQ - and I was not disappointed!
Despite poor speaker placement and overall room conditions, I believe that the 4-band PEQ managed to make the setup quite listenable again - with some assistance from an iPad and HouseCurve!

Before
1702416198949.png

...and after
1702416236451.png
BTW: Don't mind the 16kHz peak. It appears to be a microphone calibration issue with certain Apple Devices and HouseCurve. (I believe that @steadyshot had the same experience).
It appears on two out of three devices I have tested with.
(I may get a proper microphone later - but for the current basic correction my iOS devices will have to do)

In addition to appreciating the Interface and Service Support, I am quite impressed with the PEQ - and since WiiM seems to be on a roll in terms of development, I'm really hoping for more bands (and perhaps separate R/L channels?) in Q1 '24 as well!

Best regards from a happy WiiM'er
Martin

i’m not seeing that when I reboot my Pro Plus. Have you saved the settings as a custom PEQ preset in the WiiM Home app?
Thanks for the hint. Now, I have done it. At least, I will not have to enter again, if it switches.

As @Brantome said, you probably didn't save PEQ. One suggestion is to take a screenshot of the PEQ screen in case the data is lost.
Thanks, I have the data stored in Room EQ Wizard. Meanwhile, I have saved it into a custom EQ within the WIIM and hope that this does not get lost.

Presumably the Housecurve app only works on Apple devices that are up to a certain age? I have an iPhone 7Plus running iOS 15.8 but cannot install and run the app.

Presumably the Housecurve app only works on Apple devices that are up to a certain age? I have an iPhone 7Plus running iOS 15.8 but cannot install and run the app.
Yes and no...
I have installed HouseCurve on an iPhone 7 with iOS 15.7.5, for testing purposes - but it only allowed me to install "an older version" (4.2.0)
On the bright side, the iPhone 7 measurements did not exhibit the 16kHz peak, which my iPhone 12 and iPad Pro (2018) did. :)

Best regards
Martin

Totally understandable @bixite and @bernard23 .

From my (very limited) experience it seems that HouseCurve measurements below 1kHz are reasonably consistent across different Apple Devices.
So I think that it's a good, user friendly and cheap option for basic correction of the most common and prominent room issues.

But aside from the 16kHz issue, I do see some general +/- 2-3dB discrepancies, when measuring with different phones and tablets.
So for "fine tuning" (a well treated room/system or +4 PEQ bands), I would probably invest in a calibrated microphone anyway (like UMIK-1 or similar).
...and continuing down that road, one might just venture into the REW Windows app for more advanced options. :)

Best regards
Martin

Yes and no...
I have installed HouseCurve on an iPhone 7 with iOS 15.7.5, for testing purposes - but it only allowed me to install "an older version" (4.2.0)
On the bright side, the iPhone 7 measurements did not exhibit the 16kHz peak, which my iPhone 12 and iPad Pro (2018) did. :)

Best regards
Martin
I’ve just tried again but get the message that the app needs iOS 16.1 or newer and although my 7Plus is up to date it’s only on 15.8. So unable to install

I’ve just tried again but get the message that the app needs iOS 16.1 or newer and although my 7Plus is up to date it’s only on 15.8. So unable to install
Hmmm... I did some Googling - and it sounds like I may be allowed to install the older app, because my Apple ID has previously been used to download a (newer) version of the same app - and hence it's on my "Purchased" list.

Perhaps one of the suggestions here might work for you?

Best regards
Martin

Hmmm... I did some Googling - and it sounds like I may be allowed to install the older app, because my Apple ID has previously been used to download a (newer) version of the same app - and hence it's on my "Purchased" list.

Perhaps one of the suggestions here might work for you?

Best regards
Martin
Thanks Martin. Tried the options in the link but no, they will not work. I don’t have access to another Apple device so it’s a no go I’m afraid

So, my enthusiasm has cooled down a bit...
HouseCurve applied a rather wide (Q) boost to correct the dip shown below (uncorrected measurement) - but it seemed to add a bit of muddiness, which I did not like.
1702473697771.png
I then switched to the iPads rear microphone (within HouseCurve app) - and I got a completely different result!
(And yes, I did test that HQ actually switched microphones by covering the relevant holes - and seing this reflected in measurement :) )
1702473922383.png

I am unsure about which measurement is closest to the truth - but I definitely preferred the corrections based on the second one!
So perhaps you should take the Apple-microphone measurements with a grain of salt.

I will purchase a properly calibrated microphone - and then I will eventually compare the results.

Best regards
Martin

Last edited:
Back