Popping/clicking between songs

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I've started to face nasty popping on my Pro connected to miniDSP Flex. It can happen when songs with different sample rates are played, no manual switching is required. It can be captured on the DAC in the digital domain:

1685088422433.png
Sometimes it's rather seldom, sometimes quite often, I do not see a rule here.
Adding the delay to the port sample rate switching doesn't help. It seems to happen before the extended period, and before the port switches off:
1685088612511.png

Unfortunately it can be also quite loud...

since i didn't ever have any clicks with two different SMSL dac's and two mini's, which gear is the trouble source?
What about other streamers or other dac's? Is there a fixed ratio between brands and these noises?
Just to know...

I have no pops nor clicks either.
You know the simple answer.... set the wiim output to 44.1 / 16
;)
Not all dacs mute their output on a sample rate change.
It would be interesting to see if there's a pattern.

I have no pops nor clicks either.
You know the simple answer.... set the wiim output to 44.1 / 16
;)
Not all dacs mute their output on a sample rate change.
It would be interesting to see if there's a pattern.
I didn't even capture DAC's analog output here, it's just after the spdif input.

since i didn't ever have any clicks with two different SMSL dac's and two mini's, which gear is the trouble source?
What about other streamers or other dac's? Is there a fixed ratio between brands and these noises?
Just to know...
I've compared it with SMSL PO100 Pro connected to the same miniDSP DAC so far. No issue.

The tiny SMSL C100 is my first cheap "chinoix" item. Or, when I include the WiiM the second 😉 And when I include all the stuff and built-in technology what points in this direction it is surely even more, but was unfortunately not cheap.
Not a single problem with it in the first weeks. The performance and features are quite impressive for such a price range.

Last edited:
is this meaning that at beginning you didn't have noises?
Are toslink and coax both giving this issue?
I haven't noticed it before. I do not use Pro's coax output.

I had no time for a deeper investigation yet, but as a FW update was performed recently I was curious if it's a more common issue or just something mine exclusively.

Last edited:
This is Pro only issue. I don't have it with my Mini.

Of course both were connected to the same DAC with the same toslink cable. Analog output is not affected.

I've started to face nasty popping on my Pro connected to miniDSP Flex. It can happen when songs with different sample rates are played, no manual switching is required. It can be captured on the DAC in the digital domain:

View attachment 903
Sometimes it's rather seldom, sometimes quite often, I do not see a rule here.
Adding the delay to the port sample rate switching doesn't help. It seems to happen before the extended period, and before the port switches off:
View attachment 904

Unfortunately it can be also quite loud...
Hi Onlyoneme,

Please let me know which audio you're playing and what method you use to capture the above signal from the optical output. The above doesn't look like the audio waveform to me. Thank you!

If you suspect the new firmware update caused this issue, we can whitelist your device to the previous version to see if it helps.

Those waveforms are for sine 1 kHz test signals. My DAC - miniDSP Flex - can send the digital stream from its spdif input thru the usb to let it capture.
I would like to have it downgraded for testing purposes to a bit earlier FW if possible, like 4.8.511631.

Those waveforms are for sine 1 kHz test signals. My DAC - miniDSP Flex - can send the digital stream from its spdif input thru the usb to let it capture.
I would like to have it downgraded for testing purposes to a bit earlier FW if possible, like 4.8.511631.
Ok, we'll help downgrade it for you.

the question I ask myself is
if a new audio card ( dac mqa? ) is embedded on a future product as announced, will settle such stories of plocs, gapless etc constantly tempted to be bypassed camouflaged etc
?
what happens at his level or upstream?

Last edited:
Back