Pro+, Pro, Mini digital streaming

Sliphorn

Last night I watched a video by YouTube reviewer Passion for Sound. I find him to be very thorough. He claims the Pro+ and Pro far outshine the Mini when they are used only as a digital streamer. He believes it is down to the Quad Core used in the two Pros vs the Dual Core used in the Mini and probably other circuitry enhancements in the Pros.

For those that have both and use them as a digital streamer only, what say you? Thanks.

Last night I watched a video by YouTube reviewer Passion for Sound. I find him to be very thorough. He claims the Pro+ and Pro far outshine the Mini when they are used only as a digital streamer. He believes it is down to the Quad Core used in the two Pros vs the Dual Core used in the Mini and probably other circuitry enhancements in the Pros.

For those that have both and use them as a digital streamer only, what say you? Thanks.
I’d say he hasn’t a clue.

Love to look this videos. But for entertaining and a good and often loud laugh only. A handful of these guys (no girls, I believe. Sad!) tells less nonsense than others 😂
But making a decision because a YouTuber praises it? Follow the money!
Talk to friends, other enthusiasts in forums or buy in old-fashioned hifi stores where you can compare and first of all: Make your own decision! Be a hero for yourself 😉 If one fails he or she there has no chance to blame another. These YTs give a sh.... for what a viewer thinks, they want clicks for their bank account. And be skeptic if one tells you he can have "more soundstage, better channel separation, more warmth, more flesh" or other bs... from self-declared "audiophiles".

Love to look this videos. But for entertaining and a good and often loud laugh only. A handful of these guys (no girls, I believe. Sad!) tells less nonsense than others 😂
But making a decision because a YouTuber praises it? Follow the money!
Talk to friends, other enthusiasts in forums or buy in old-fashioned hifi stores where you can compare and first of all: Make your own decision! Be a hero for yourself 😉 If one fails he or she there has no chance to blame another. These YTs give a sh.... for what a viewer thinks, they want clicks for their bank account. And be skeptic if one tells you he can have "more soundstage, better channel separation, more warmth, more flesh" or other bs... from self-declared "audiophiles".
I hear ya! I have three mini’s and am very pleased with the sound quality. I generally like his videos but found this particular one curious, which is why I started this thread. He essentially said the mini is a dog as compared to the pros when used as a streamer. I thought, really? No way, man. I have no intention of upgrading. Thanks. Wait a minute. I just said upgrade. When used solely as a streamer, as I use my mini, then the Pros are not really an upgrade, are they?

The only reason I bought a PwP and not a mini was ** that it is Roon Ready and it the offers Ethernet connection. I still rely more on wires than on waves 😂
Using it as a streamer "only" has no competition.

** added

Last edited:
He also says the streamer in the WIIM Pro and Pro plus is as good as the Eversolo A6/A8 streamer. (using digital output)

If a device just use as transport it’s on the external dac to do the heavy lifting. Even in today’s day and age some think earth is not round.

I have a Pro and 3 Minis, I have tried them with various Dacs into spidf inputs and have heard no difference between them when used with their digital outs. The only time I have heard any difference in Dacs with good quality sources is when a source is input into usb over spidif. I have preferred the usb input but that's an apple and pears comparison and could be a personal preference kind of thing. 😁

It is an interesting video because it attempts to answer the question most of us will likely have asked ourselves at some point, namely, if a streamer’s digital output is bit-perfect and fed into an external DAC, from a purely sound quality perspective is there any point in considering an expensive streamer over a cheaper one? All the streamer comparison articles I can recall have only concentrated on line-out SQ, so one that just compares the digital domains is to be welcomed.
However, like others here, I am surprised by Passion for Sound’s conclusion but that in itself is probably no reason to just dismiss his claims. The question is a really important one, both from a general (almost philosophical) perspective and from the specific viewpoint of the WiiM family.
As a long-standing Mini user who is happy with its digital output, I am not in a position to compare with other WiiM digital outputs and so cannot comment myself. Nonetheless, dispassionately confirming or refuting Passion for Sound’s conclusion is something of a priority for everyone who enjoys streaming.

However, like others here, I am surprised by Passion for Sound’s conclusion but that in itself is probably no reason to just dismiss his claims.
There are very good reasons to dismiss his claims:

1. All three WiiM streamers have been measured. All are bit-perfect through the digital outputs when at fixed volume with no EQ applied.
2. These YooToob clowns NEVER do double-blind listening comparisons, which are absolutely essential to eliminate confirmation bias. Non-blind tests are meaningless rubbish.

Some prefer these "clowns", some prefer "The Cult".
Few days ago I've found this cartoon and it called something to my mind...sure I'll find out later.

IMG_1817.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi to all
Just to have my say. I have always thought, and I still think, that a Streamer used as a pure Streamer cannot have any differences between one and the other.
It costs €200 or €2,000 used as a streamer alone, there is no difference.
The difference comes from the various DACs used and your chain. At least this is my belief. ;)

Hi to all
Just to have my say. I have always thought, and I still think, that a Streamer used as a pure Streamer cannot have any differences between one and the other.
It costs €200 or €2,000 used as a streamer alone, there is no difference.
The difference comes from the various DACs used and your chain. At least this is my belief. ;)
Agreed! But for sure you would expect me to change the order in the last row!? 😉

But a few posts above it leaves the topic and comes to a meta discussion:
Everyone has to find his own Road to Decision.
Some chose the money-grubbing You Tube "clowns".
Some chose the "freaks" from The Cult.
The smart chose to make own decisions based on their ears (and bank accounts).
Kind of a model how life works.

Clowns and freaks are quotes out of the forum, therefore the quotation marks 😉

Agreed! But for sure you would expect me to change the order in the last row!? 😉

But a few posts above it leaves the topic and comes to a meta discussion:
Everyone has to find his own Road to Decision.
Some chose the money-grubbing You Tube "clowns".
Some chose the "freaks" from The Cult.
The smart chose to make own decisions based on their ears (and bank accounts).
Kind of a model how life works.

Clowns and freaks are quotes out of the forum, therefore the quotation marks 😉
Sorry mate. ;) I immediately change the order in the last row
Your chain and the DACs used
Does that sound better to you? 😂😂

I have all 3 - mini, pro & pro plus - streaming into external DAC not a lot of difference, only differences for me is mini hasn't got Chromecast or Squeezelite, and to my ears the Pro Plus internal DAC is a better sound etc

To me there is a big difference between pro/pro plus and mini. Both measurably and in sound quality. Especially when using coax and ethernet.i can easily distinguish them in a blind test due to very different bass output . That is why I eq the mini

Last edited:
Back