Pro+, Pro, Mini digital streaming

Just want to share my experience, which can be different from others as the environment is different. My Oppo supports HDMI, optical and coax. I have a Firestick, a min and a pro. Firestick is the cheapest solution. It can stream video, and music is still enjoyable. The mini connected to optical sounds better than Firestick connected to HDMI. Connected to optical, the pro has a larger sound stage and more bass than mini. For the pro, coax is better than optical. Instruments and voices can be heard more clearly. I have mix feeling about connecting a LAN cable to the pro. It has more bass, but with 5G WiFi, the sound is cleaner and more relax.

You are saying that there is a difference between using an ethernet cable versus WiFi? I can't see any reason for this, unless either the cable or the WiFi is broken.

I personally may not agree with many, or indeed any, of the above assertions but hi fi is very subjective, so if the OP perceives differences between the items above then so be it, just as long as we understand it’s their experience and opinion, and not immutable fact.

You are saying that there is a difference between using an ethernet cable versus WiFi? I can't see any reason for this, unless either the cable or the WiFi is broken.
Wherever possible and practicable I prefer cabled LAN. But definitively not because soundstage or more precise bass ;-)

Just want to share my experience, which can be different from others as the environment is different. My Oppo supports HDMI, optical and coax. I have a Firestick, a min and a pro. Firestick is the cheapest solution. It can stream video, and music is still enjoyable. The mini connected to optical sounds better than Firestick connected to HDMI. Connected to optical, the pro has a larger sound stage and more bass than mini. For the pro, coax is better than optical. Instruments and voices can be heard more clearly. I have mix feeling about connecting a LAN cable to the pro. It has more bass, but with 5G WiFi, the sound is cleaner and more relax.
I would think about changing your DAC. It seems to be rather low quality.

There is no superman dac that can handle all noise, jitter and whatever nasty things caused upstream . Some handle it better than others .

You reach a point that you cannot purchase new units or fix your space further . Then you can tweak (to a sensible degree), if you care… If you don’t accept that, it is your choice .

Last edited:
Reactions: KCS
It’s nice to see on paper that a device has 200 sinad but anything that’s not audible in the hearing range it don’t matter. It’s nice to brag to have such number. Remember audioquest Ethernet cable?

Like everyone say, your dac is the bottleneck. Get RME dac and you will never look back.

Like everyone say, your dac is the bottleneck. Get RME dac and you will never look back.

Usually amps are the bottleneck since they have lower figures than dacs. The ultimate one is speakers .

However they all contribute to the total system transparency which will be of course much less transparent than the individual components

The reason the 3 devices exist is largely down to improvements in the built in dac, if you have your own dac, a mini is fine.

Maybe this could help (if you trust my feelings), I have an amp with integrated Bluos and digital inputs. I can switch instantly from Bluos to WiiM mini toslink and with one more touch, return on Bluos, whilst Tidal connect is playing something. It's the best situation for compare sources, no delay and no holes. I'm absolutely sure that no difference is audible. Following transitive relation, probably mini and pro's are the same.

Well, me neither. I have two different ethernet cables. Some thing. The only thing I can think of is noise. My stereo is plugged into one outlet in the living room. The router and modem is plugged into another at the other side. Also there is a Comcast cable coming into the modem. I am not an expert, but I think DC-wise the ethernet is isolated from ground. So maybe AC noise coupled into the ethernet cable is the culprit. I have not given up yet. Will try different setups.

I personally may not agree with many, or indeed any, of the above assertions but hi fi is very subjective, so if the OP perceives differences between the items above then so be it, just as long as we understand it’s their experience and opinion, and not immutable fact.
Agree. This is my own experience. Just want to see if anyone else has similar experience.

I was happy with my Firestick streaming Amazon Music. When I saw the mini for $90, why not. Surprisingly (or not :=) it sounds better. Then I saw the pro for $150. I decided to give it a try too and keep the mini in my bedroom. Guess I can keep going, but my wife would not agree :=)

I was happy with my Firestick streaming Amazon Music. When I saw the mini for $90, why not. Surprisingly (or not :=) it sounds better. Then I saw the pro for $150. I decided to give it a try too and keep the mini in my bedroom. Guess I can keep going, but my wife would not agree :=)
Yeah, the Firestick’s ok for Amazon music but it’s not bit perfect and plays everything at the max resolution of the device it’s attached to. I found it thin and lifeless compared to a Heos Link HS2 and then my WiiM Mini

My Oppo has two ESS Sabre32 DAC chips. Supposed to be top of the line at that time. Now, who knows :=)
I didn't mean DAC chips, I meant DAC digital inputs and how the transmission is handled.

Back