Pro vs. Pro Plus as a streamer only

Bartolo

I'm looking for a Roon Ready (and I know the Pro Plus isn't quite there yet) device to add between my home UPNP network and my Naim UnitiQute2 streamer/player.

The Naim device supports digital in, both coax and optical.

Given that I wont be using the Wiim as a dac, should I expect the same performance as a streamer in the Pro vs. Pro Plus? If so, no need to pay for the Plus and wait for Roon Rediness.

I largely agree with the opinions given but I think there are a few cases where the Plus could still be worth paying the fairly modest extra sum. One might be if the Plus DAC happened to be superior to that in your amp (highly unlikely in your case). Another might be if there were any chance of later using the Plus elsewhere in the house where a digital input was not available. Or you do not wish to limit your future choice of kit to only those with digital inputs (can be a Naim trait).
In short, it can be an example of the old adage that states it is better to have and not need than need and not have.

I largely agree with the opinions given but I think there are a few cases where the Plus could still be worth paying the fairly modest extra sum. One might be if the Plus DAC happened to be superior to that in your amp (highly unlikely in your case). Another might be if there were any chance of later using the Plus elsewhere in the house where a digital input was not available. Or you do not wish to limit your future choice of kit to only those with digital inputs (can be a Naim trait).
In short, it can be an example of the old adage that states it is better to have and not need than need and not have.
As always, different views have equal justification. It is always tricky to save today and to pay more tomorrow. My response was about the "to expect" sound quality only. 😉

If I were him 😉 in such a scenario I wouldn't even think about using any WiiM internal DAC instead of the one in his Nait!
Another thing is that he seemed to be interested in the Roon Ready feature, which will most likely arrive for the Plus in future as it did for the Pro. But may be future is too much future for him?

I will say this because I am in the same situation as you since I have planned to buy wiim pro or wiim pro plus in a few days from now. The pro is excellent digital transport according to all measures but If you care about coaxial cable choices and fit go with the pro plus. There is also the thing with the square shape measurement from the digital out that is not currently examined anywhere for the wiim pro plus in order to compare if it matches or betters the pro if you care about such things. I will probably get the plus.

The pro plus has a little more space around the connector.
Some cables don't fit in the smaller recess in the pro.
I think the pro plus also has a little more space around the rca output terminals.
You’d have thought that recently manufactured Pro’s would have this too, but I don’t recall anyone having checked or mentioned that.

You’d have thought that recently manufactured Pro’s would have this too, but I don’t recall anyone having checked or mentioned that.
If anyone purchased in the last few months the pro version maybe he can report?

And....deciding for or against a streamer related to already possessed or wanted cables? Tried my Pro with a lot of my coax cables and not a single one did not fit. No idea with optical.

And....deciding for or against a streamer related to already possessed or wanted cables? Tried my Pro with a lot of my coax cables and not a single one did not fit. No idea with optical.
I have not seen for instance a person saying that I have used this qed coaxial with the pro. Or I have used supra trico with the pro or I have used mogami with canare connectors with the wiim pro.

Last edited:
Ok, if you have a bunch of expensive cables already and do not want to throw it in a bin I would likely also go with the Plus. My now in use Audioquest Forest and Cinnamon as well as my (old) Nordost fits all. But to be honest and I hope you will pardon that: What is to expect in sound quality regarding cables in case of a WiiM?
If I have to move around my stereo once I will measure the ports and its space around, for now I am too lazy 😉

And yet the very first cable I tried with my pro was too fat.
An old Nordost too!

The pro plus has a little more space around the connector.
Some cables don't fit in the smaller recess in the pro.
I think the pro plus also has a little more space around the rca output terminals.
Ah OK. Tbh I'm not a cable person, so am using a mix of inexpensive cambridge audio and some fairy dust coax made by a member of another forum which everyone claimed was as good as their £hundreds interconnects. That didn't surprise me, and they all sound the same to me anyway. I did notice that the design was a bit constrictive by recessing the ports.

Ok, if you have a bunch of expensive cables already and do not want to throw it in a bin I would likely also go with the Plus. My now in use Audioquest Forest and Cinnamon as well as my (old) Nordost fits all. But to be honest and I hope you will pardon that: What is to expect in sound quality regarding cables in case of a WiiM?
If I have to move around my stereo once I will measure the ports and its space around, for now I am too lazy 😉
For sound quality don't be so sure, it depends . It is a matter of ergonomics. You buy something and not have to worry about fit...

For sound quality don't be so sure, it depends . It is a matter of ergonomics. You buy something and not have to worry about fit...
For sound quality it is another religious and most likely never ending issue in HiFi circles 😉
My approach is always what am I able and willing to pay and what is well built. In case of sound quality I did all to be on the safe shore then. 😂

Back