WiiM Pro Plus - now ROON ready and certified

Got I call from my Junior telling me about and before I managed to go to roonlabs partner on my tablet one was faster than me. Another senior moment 😉

A question I asked me since I've seen the certification.
As far as I knew since years is that "Roon Tested" says every component connected via USB is identified as kind of soundcard and will work with Roon. Did I miss that the Plus has an USB not only for power??

Why’s the Plus both Roon Ready and Roon Tested, while the Pro is just Roon Ready?
It was likely Roon tested at the off using Chromecast so must have passed that with flying colours as it has the nice artwork. Some devices they ask to test all bits. Roon Ready is very different as it’s using Roons RAAT SDK in the device and its API not another protocol like Chromecast where the functionality is different. Roon Ready has a lot of other stuff for reporting back, artwork metadata, power management etc.

It was likely Roon tested at the off using Chromecast so must have passed that with flying colours as it has the nice artwork. Some devices they ask to test all bits. Roon Ready is very different as it’s using Roons RAAT SDK in the device and its API not another protocol like Chromecast where the functionality is different. Roon Ready has a lot of other stuff for reporting back, artwork metadata, power management etc.
So, this is a far better explanation and I've learned again that not only the USB is the reason.

As far as I knew since years is that "Roon Tested" says every component connected via USB is identified as kind of soundcard and will work with Roon. Did I miss that the Plus has an USB not only for power??
Roon tested covers Airplay and Chromecast over network and USB for DACs and Amps with a USB input. Roon has no control of CC of Airplay as they are proprietary streaming protocols so has limited reporting back to Roon.

If you missed it, then so did I ;) I don’t think it has…

Why’s the Plus both Roon Ready and Roon Tested, while the Pro is just Roon Ready?
Roon Tested is the most useless certification anyway. It would just apply to any DAC, that is recognised as bitperfect through USB (ASIO or WASAPI) in Audio settings. I'm not sure why any company would pay for this. Even if I have a a little idea... :censored:

Why, then, the WiiM Pro is Roon Tested without any USB input whatsoever? I don't know...

Roon Tested is the most useless certification anyway. It would just apply to any DAC, that is recognised as bitperfect through USB (ASIO or WASAPI) in Audio settings. I'm not sure why any company would pay for this. Even if I have a a little idea... :censored:

Why, then, the WiiM Pro is Roon Tested without any USB input whatsoever? I don't know...
No one pays for it at all certification doesnt lcost them anything but shipping nor do they charge for Roon Ready certification. No licensing charges. It’s tested you know it will work as advertised not all DACs work well across all OS platforms. It’s up to the vendors if they want it, it’s a marketing checkbox for sure but it’s doesn’t break the bank to get it.

And it also applies to non RAAT streaming protocols. Airplay, Chromecast, Sonos, Kef streaming, Linns Songcast to name a few. Wiim PP is Roon Tested for Chromecast

Hi! It looks like you got an early peek ;) Good news! WiiM Pro Plus has been officially certified, and we'll make our official announcement tomorrow. We'll start releasing the update in batches starting tomorrow and through the weekend.

Note: WiiM Pro Plus and WiiM Pro will both have the Roon Ready and Roon Tested badges on the Roon website.

Here's the reasoning from Roon:

Roon Ready certification means that the device is using RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) as its streaming protocol. RAAT is the way music gets from the Roon Server (Nucleus, PC, etc.) to the endpoint (WiiM Pro).

Roon Tested devices receive music in Roon via Airplay, Chromecast, and/or USB, instead of RAAT.

A device usually has both Roon Ready and Tested certification which allows users to have more flexibility overall, and especially when grouping devices.

Hi! It looks like you got an early peek ;) Good news! WiiM Pro Plus has been officially certified, and we'll make our official announcement tomorrow. We'll start releasing the update in batches starting tomorrow and through the weekend.

Note: WiiM Pro Plus and WiiM Pro will both have the Roon Ready and Roon Tested badges on the Roon website.

Here's the reasoning from Roon:

Roon Ready certification means that the device is using RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) as its streaming protocol. RAAT is the way music gets from the Roon Server (Nucleus, PC, etc.) to the endpoint (WiiM Pro).

Roon Tested devices receive music in Roon via Airplay, Chromecast, and/or USB, instead of RAAT.

A device usually has both Roon Ready and Tested certification which allows users to have more flexibility overall, and especially when grouping devices.
Sorry but when is "tomorrow", which time is it?

Back