Wiim Pro Plus - room ready soon?

wombat

Has anyone heard if it's still the plan for the Wiim Pro Plus to get Roon ready status? I heard that Roon has been bought out.

I lost all interest in Roon instantly when I heard Harman bought it. That can only mean it is going down hill from here

Has anyone heard if it's still the plan for the Wiim Pro Plus to get Roon ready status? I heard that Roon has been bought out.
Last WiiM reported it’s still undergoing certification. Fingers crossed it makes the Roon partners list this or next month which will mean it took as long as the Pro did to get certified.

I lost all interest in Roon instantly when I heard Harman bought it. That can only mean it is going down hill from here
Glass half empty perspective perhaps? So we know Harman is a very large company and this inherently means the little guy looses, right?
What if, and maybe in this case theres a big chance of success, the original Roon team, that are remaining onboard, now have even better resources and funding, simply make Roon even more amazing. I’ll hope for this scenario.

Glass half empty perspective perhaps? So we know Harman is a very large company and this inherently means the little guy looses, right?
What if, and maybe in this case theres a big chance of success, the original Roon team, that are remaining onboard, now have even better resources and funding, simply make Roon even more amazing. I’ll hope for this scenario.
There's a lot we don't know, such as:
  • The state of Roon's financials in the current economic environment. Were they doing OK, were they just making it month to month, or were they periodically on the edge of bankruptcy?
  • Why did the owners sell? Was it a great offer from Harman, or was it more of a lifeline for them to get out before things got worse?
  • Why did Harman want Roon?
I think the answer to the last question will become clear in time. Obviously they want to make back as quickly as possible whatever they spent -- a number we don't know -- to acquire Roon, so how they plan to do so could take a number of forms. Do they want to control and deploy the technology or infrastructure in their own products for competitive advantage (therefore to their competitors' disadvantage)? Do they want this group of software developers for their own non-Roon projects? Do they think they can gradually jack up the cost of Roon subscriptions to increase revenues, if they regard their customer base as captive? Is there another acquisition in the works -- e.g., Qobuz -- that will dovetail in with their overall long-term corporate strategy?

Harman (and ultimately Samsung) definitely wants to monetize Roon, so I think changes will be coming. Whether they'll be successful ultimately -- this kind of reminds me of the acquisition of SlimDevices by Logitech -- as well as what happens to Roon's current user base, remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Our lifelong subscriptions have over the years amortized. So I am relaxed. There was a life before Roon and there will be one after. And the only thing "we" know is that "we" know nothing.

Our lifelong subscriptions have over the years amortized. So I am relaxed. There was a life before Roon and there will be one after. And the only thing "we" know is that "we" know nothing.
For those who got in early. For those who paid the much higher prices in the last couple of years, how that's going to turn out has suddenly become a lot dicier to predict.

Last WiiM reported it’s still undergoing certification. Fingers crossed it makes the Roon partners list this or next month which will mean it took as long as the Pro did to get certified.
Nothing on the latest Roon newsletter.....:(

Back