Qobuz or Tidal or AmazonHD

Achim1811

Major Contributor
Does anyone really notice a difference in sound quality when using CD quality only?
This is not a question about sound quality! For me the design of an app or the algorithms are absolutely not relevant. I never uses playlists or suggested "my mixes". I listen to albums. And I choose them from other information sources.
Yesterday I talked to a friend who is obsessed with "better sound" from Tidal.
I pay for all three above mentioned services. Reason is only the minimal difference in program.

PS: I can hear absolutely no difference!

Last edited:
Do you ask if there are people who claim to hear a difference? Of course they are.

Tell me more! Do you hear differences?
for songs originally produced at 44.1 i didn't ever hear differences among the mentioned services, even in rapid switch of synchronized songs from similar gears on the same dac.
Regarding those productions birth at 44.1 that Tidal changes in MQA, my biases let me hear miss something if i disable it, compared to themselves and to others non destructives services...

Last edited:
That is more or less my experience and i cancelled the HiFi Plus option from Tidal a few month ago. The fraud with this MQA BS ended at least in filing for bankruptcy from the runner of this company and was more or less overdue. In my eyes. But i have to confess: i also stepped in this trap.
But anyway, i am pleased not to be the only person not hearing differences. The part with CD 16/44.1 back from MQA i will check tomorrow. With rested ears 😉

Does anyone really notice a difference in sound quality when using CD quality only?
This is not a question about sound quality! For me the design of an app or the algorithms are absolutely not relevant. I never uses playlists or suggested "my mixes". I listen to albums. And I choose them from other information sources.
Yesterday I talked to a friend who is obsessed with "better sound" from Tidal.
I pay for all three above mentioned services. Reason is only the minimal difference in program.

PS: I can hear absolutely no difference!
Hi @Achim1811
I've asked myself your same question 1000 times.
After hours of listening between different formats, I've come to a conclusion.
I can't hear any difference, by ear, between 16/44 and 24/192.
Probably all this push on HD files is a bit of a hoax.
It's a physiological question. As children we perceive 20 to 20,000 Hz, but by the age of 40 we can no longer.
So, cui prodest? :unsure: :unsure:
I can hear the difference between two different recordings of the same album, but not the difference between bit depth and Khz.

I’m sure I will get criticized on this but I have all 3. Qoboz to my ear has longer decay and like longer decay.

My fight lasts since 51 years...and i hope it will last longer.
It is more or less sparring. My wife collects graphic art, so sometimes it is even more expensive than my krimskrams.
The one who brings it up wins always. But no one loses this game.
Take care!

16/44.1 (Redbook CD standard) is good enough for me, in terms of archiving and enjoying music. Online streaming? I'm perfectly fine with Spotify Premium @ 320k OGG. I'd love it if they went to lossless, but I wouldn't pay one more dime for it.

I prefer the fuller and more balanced sound of Apple Music compared to Tidal. No Qobuz in my country and did not try Amazon music .

However , I prefer 24/44 more than 16/44. Also usually 24/48 sound worse than the former two. It kind of sounds muffled. Maybe due to downsampling by AirPlay 2 or WiiM mini?

Last edited:
I prefer the fuller and more balanced sound of Apple Music compared to Tidal. No Qobuz in my country and did not try Amazon music .

However , I prefer 24/44 more than 16/44. Also usually 24/48 sound worse than the former two. It kind of sounds muffled. Maybe due to downsampling by AirPlay 2 or WiiM mini?
Apple Music and Airplay can be a bit of a disaster - it could even be just delivering AAC not hi res lossless streams.

Edit: see https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-music-lossless-mess-part-2-airplay-r1026/

There are many variables to this question. The most important thing is the quality of the recording. The next thing is do you know what you are listening for. HiRez offers more details, but if your recording is bad then your sound quality will be worse.

I have Amazon for a while, but recently signed up to try Qobuz. I do hear a difference, Amazon is a bit more dynamic when I test them by switching between the two playing the same songs. I prefer Amazon sound and UI.

Thank you all for now.
To make it clear again: My question was NOT about CD or HiRes. Or which app or algorithm is better. The HiRes-or-not question will stay as a bombshell in these forums. For me the decision was simple because i want to have the highest available quality. Even if i hear no difference. Maybe in future will be gear that allows this. Mine, for the moment, does not. And i am convinced it is not so bad. But thats another part of the game.
The question was only (if CD quality and same recording/production/mastering are fixed parameters) is there a listenable difference between the three mentioned services?
As an example take "The Long and Winding Road" from the 2021 mix. Available on all services.

As @Achim1811 says, me too "i want to have the highest available quality. Even if i hear no difference."
Regarding the various Streaming services, I had Amazon Unlimited and Spotify. I recently canceled Spotify and activated Qobuz, so I can say I've tried all three.
It is true that there are some differences between the three services, subtle but they are there.
However, the differences concern not the audible difference between bit depth and the Khz, but the way in which the music is presented.
More or less wide and deep soundstage; more or less dynamic; channel separation; brilliance and so on.
I'd like to say that however, if the services broadcast the masters without manipulation on their part, these differences shouldn't exist.

Back