WiiM Pro is now Roon Ready

WiiM Team

Administrator
Staff member
Latest update as of 06/30/23

Hi everyone,

We released the official firmware update today with Roon Ready and it will be rolled out in batches through the weekend version 4.8.521547. Those who were whitelisted with Roon Ready, will also get the latest official update. Hope you enjoy it!

For those who are interested in trying out Roon we have a 14-day free trial offer with Roon you can sign-up for.

We go more in-depth about Roon on our WiiM blog too.

Last edited:
Starting a new thread here about Roon Ready on WiiM Pro.

Current status as of 2/21/23 - Pro is currently going through Roon Ready certification. We'll provide more updates as it becomes available.
With Roon ready we mean fully supporting the RAAT protocol, right?
I'm looking to get all my home devices away from chromecast and onto RAAT. For some of my devices I could get away by adding a Wiim Pro but for some of my devices I'de prefer the smaller footprint of the Wiim mini, when Roon ready arrives for the mini both will be able to be combined, correct?

I'm looking to get all my home devices away from chromecast and onto RAAT. For some of my devices I could get away by adding a Wiim Pro but for some of my devices I'de prefer the smaller footprint of the Wiim mini, when Roon ready arrives for the mini both will be able to be combined, correct?

The Mini does not have Roon capability on its roadmap:

The Mini simply does not have the processor and memory to support Roon, I suspect.
https://wiimhome.com/WiiMPro/Overview (see the Pro/Mini comparison at the bottom of the page)

Last edited:

The Mini simply does not have the processor and memory to support Roon, I suspect.
https://wiimhome.com/WiiMPro/Overview (see the Pro/Mini comparison at the bottom of the page)
Been discussed quite a bit - looks like it’s more lack of memory tbh in the mini. There have been some harebrained (imho) suggestions to have an alternative firmware version for the Mini with Roon by taking out other features. I think that would be a logistical nightmare and I’m of the view that if you want Roon compatibility like you might want Chromecast or a coax or Ethernet connection, buy a Pro…

WIIM has stated they will strive to provide dual configurations. Like others, I question the feasibility of that but fully recognize they know their stuff and I know zip all.

There's two ways to support RAAT on an endpoint, Roon Ready or Roon bridge. Roon Ready is a step up from just installing Roon's bridge software on an endpoint (most RPi based endpoints are like this). The WiiM Pro Roadmap specifically says Roon Ready and they have said that it is now with Roon getting certified so that tells me this is a true Roon Ready product (some companies have simply installed bridge and claimed Roon Ready).

Starting a new thread here about Roon Ready on WiiM Pro.

Current status as of 2/21/23 - Pro is currently going through Roon Ready certification. We'll provide more updates as it becomes available.
Hi!

Do you have more information about when the device will be Roon compatible? Will it be possible to upgrade an existing device or will it be a new model?

There will be no date as WiiM is wisely waiting on ROON rather then missing timelines.

Currently the plan is that it will compatible with the existing WiiM Pro.

There was some talk about making different versions of the mini via (I think) software upgrades. No idea where that is.

If no one of the involved actors are lying... It is a clearly "political" question at this point.
Such an endless approval process is a no-sense... I'm an owner of other endpoints that took few weeks to receive the Roon firmware update.

If it is really "up to Roon" I cannot see different reason than allowing other (pricier) devices to be Roon ready before WiiM Pro.
I somehow suspect the Pro has been deliberately set aside.

Last edited:
Any feedback on this?

Roon is currently showcasing on their social accounts the list of devices enabled in May 2023... Some of these are "barely" available for shipping (as Bluesound Node X).

At this point I'd remove Roon Ready from Wiim roadmap... It is clearly becoming a joke.

Last edited:
Any feedback on this?

Roon is currently showcasing on their social accounts the list of devices enabled in May 2023... Some of these are "barely" available for shipping (as Bluesound Node X).

At this point I'd remove Roon Ready from Wiim roadmap... It is clearly becoming a joke.
It's not a joke...it's taking longer than you'd like.

You know the old saying money talks? If you give these people extra payment you will be put on front line instead of back burner. I bet you if this is bill gates or Elon musk company it will be certified in few days.

It's not a joke...it's taking longer than you'd like.

WiiM undisclosed the Roon Endpoint feature for marketing purposes from its earliest appearance, and did this when the WiiM Mini was the only product available.

This happened one year ago, and lots of Roon users bought this product for this reason.
One year after:
  1. WiiM Mini will not be Roon Ready anymore.
  2. WiiM Pro is the only device on planet that needs a 6 months of certification process.
This definitely starts sounding like a joke... ;)

Relax.
There are definitely other manufactures that took as long / longer to get roon ready, and marketed it early too.
Only buy something based on current functionality, never expectations / promises.
My understanding of the mini being unable to support roon was that this was discovered only when they started looking into it in more depth.
Just 'cos something is on a roadmap doesn't mean it'll happen, for numerous reasons.
I can think of another well known streamer manufacturer that stated they would support certain functionality "in a few months", telling people it was ok to buy other products that required this functionality, and then took many, many months to deliver on that feature.

Relax.
There are definitely other manufactures that took as long / longer to get roon ready, and marketed it early too.
Only buy something based on current functionality, never expectations / promises.
My understanding of the mini being unable to support roon was that this was discovered only when they started looking into it in more depth.
Just 'cos something is on a roadmap doesn't mean it'll happen, for numerous reasons.
I can think of another well known streamer manufacturer that stated they would support certain functionality "in a few months", telling people it was ok to buy other products that required this functionality, and then took many, many months to deliver on that feature.
Not to mention the major streaming service provider who promised FLAC or equivalent ............

PEQ is one most requested features and till now we have no idea what’s the status. MQA this features got stock on beta. When mini was the only streamer they had all the features and updates just keep coming in. In fact, mini started with basic functionality now it’s fully featured and reach its hardware limitations. Pro has has lots of processing and memory left before it’s reaching its limits. Maybe wiim has less employees now than before?

Back