Squeezelite and LMS

If you don’t mind wiping clean the Mac Mini - Daphile runs on older Macs just fine and will give you a pretty speedy LMS. Might run from a USB stick if I remember and you can test before installing to the internal storage. It’s Intel, I presume.
Does daphile see the Wiim Pro+ as a player? I can't seem to get it to do that. Since I am running daphile on a 2012 MacBook I still have the option of an optical out from the headphone jack so I could connect that to the TOSLink IN of the Pro+ but just curious if anyone managed to get daphile to show the WiiM as a player.

Thanks.

Cheers…Kishore

@d6jg - Here is a bit of an update for my LMS saga. I scrubbed the install on that first mini PC (ECS LIVA Celeron with only 2GB of RAM and a 32GB SSD, both non-upgradable.) I picked up better mini PC (Lenovo M710 with a quad-core i5, 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD) which is much better equipped. I split the drive for a dual boot with WIN10 Pro and Mint Cinnamon 21.2, then installed LMS on both sides for testing. I ended up liking the Linux side better, btw. Unfortunately, I was still having network stability issues with either OS. I was still trying to link to the NAS for the music directory across my Wi-Fi. At this point, I decided to add LMS to my dedicated Roon server laptop, which is attached to the network via ethernet with an attached external 2TB HDD for the music directory. This has worked a great for more than a week now (see attached screenshots.) I plan on installing both Roon and LMS server on the newer mini PC under Linux and attaching to the network via ethernet. I'm still up in the air about the music directory being an external HDD or on the NAS. What is your option, HDD or NAS? Sorry for the book, lol.

SS2.png
SS1.png

@d6jg - Here is a bit of an update for my LMS saga. I scrubbed the install on that first mini PC (ECS LIVA Celeron with only 2GB of RAM and a 32GB SSD, both non-upgradable.) I picked up better mini PC (Lenovo M710 with a quad-core i5, 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD) which is much better equipped. I split the drive for a dual boot with WIN10 Pro and Mint Cinnamon 21.2, then installed LMS on both sides for testing. I ended up liking the Linux side better, btw. Unfortunately, I was still having network stability issues with either OS. I was still trying to link to the NAS for the music directory across my Wi-Fi. At this point, I decided to add LMS to my dedicated Roon server laptop, which is attached to the network via ethernet with an attached external 2TB HDD for the music directory. This has worked a great for more than a week now (see attached screenshots.) I plan on installing both Roon and LMS server on the newer mini PC under Linux and attaching to the network via ethernet. I'm still up in the air about the music directory being an external HDD or on the NAS. What is your option, HDD or NAS? Sorry for the book, lol.

View attachment 3605
View attachment 3606
I use a NAS because I can use the same files attached from different devices (I often have multiple LMS servers running) AND because of the built in syncing options - I have a second NAS down a VPN. Many just use a single HD attached to LMS server and as long as you backup then it is just as good.

Cool, thanks for the insights. I'll probably keep using the attached HDD, it's been working, like forever, for the Roon server side and the stability of the LMS side has been great. I like keeping the NAS for dedicated storage and as needed access, be it on or off-site. Additionally, I have three other backups of my media files (two other ext. HDDs and the add on SSD in this newer laptop.) Being in IT as long as I've been, has definitely hammered home the importance of backups. This new Lenovo mini PC will be running headless and will only be doing LMS and Roon, so it should do great. Well, it should do much better than the old Dell laptop with Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM, that they are both currently running on. Geesh, all of this loading, re-loading and setting up of LMS on different platforms and configurations is gonna make me a resource, lol. Thanks again, @d6jg !! :cool:

I've got the standard LMS installed on a Mele mini PC running win10. The main reason was to add a usb cd drive. Using squeezelite-X as the primary squeezebox device, but other players can easily be switched on to access the cd-rom. All a bit overkill as I hardly ever can be bothered to hunt out an actual cd to play!

Is there any chance of WiiM adding a squeezelite server IP option? Due to the way that the discovery works, I have to turn off the firewall on my LMS machine for the WiiM to find and negotiate with it. I have the same problem if I run squeezelite on another one of my linux boxes, and supplying the server ip to squeezelite fixes the problem.

TIA

Is there any chance of WiiM adding a squeezelite server IP option? Due to the way that the discovery works, I have to turn off the firewall on my LMS machine for the WiiM to find and negotiate with it. I have the same problem if I run squeezelite on another one of my linux boxes, and supplying the server ip to squeezelite fixes the problem.

TIA
I suggested that this would be a good idea ages ago. The lack of it stops anyone from using a WiiM as a remote SB player (via VPN).

I suggested that this would be a good idea ages ago. The lack of it stops anyone from using a WiiM as a remote SB player (via VPN).
Wasn’t there a request to change the Squeezelite client name as well? A small config/settings section would be handy

Wasn’t there a request to change the Squeezelite client name as well? A small config/settings section would be handy
You can easily change the name of your WiiM which also changes the Squeezelite instance ie my Pro is now “Kitchen”

You can easily change the name of your WiiM which also changes the Squeezelite instance ie my Pro is now “Kitchen”
But you cannot have a separate name for the Wiim and Squeezelite client which would be helpful when one wants to use the Spotify plugin in Squeezelite vs the Wiim Spotify connect. And yes I put in a request for this along with the IP assignment.

But you cannot have a separate name for the Wiim and Squeezelite client which would be helpful when one wants to use the Spotify plugin in Squeezelite vs the Wiim Spotify connect. And yes I put in a request for this along with the IP assignment.
Fair point.
I don’t use Spotify anymore and when I did it was via LMS so that issue would not have concerned me.

Fair point.
I don’t use Spotify anymore and when I did it was via LMS so that issue would not have concerned me.
I don't use it but my wife does. Using Spotify connect through LMS allows us to use our material skin now playing screen and sync with our picoreplayer. I worked around it by using the group player plugin which allows a different name for the group player. Wiim acknowledged the request but nothing has come from it.

For those interested DietPi is a good way to get LMS running on almost any low powered hardware. There are versions for the Pi (obviously), x64 and VM versions too. DietPi provides simple install menus for lots of apps inc. LMS. All open source too.

You can give the Squeezelite client a different name than the WiiM name if you go to the Player settings in Logitech Media Server. That name will also be used by Spotty. If you enable Spotify Connect for that player, the same device will show up in Spotify with two different names, the name for WiiM device and the name that you gave it in LMS. Logically they are two separate devices.

Note that if you use Last.FM scrobbling a Squeezebox device (including a Squeezelite software defined device) will behave in two different ways when playing Spotify content. It will always follow the LMS scrobble settings for the player, so if that is enabled it will scrobble the played songs. If you play the content via LMS, so selecting it in the LMS interface, Spotify will not log that you have played a song, so will not scrobble it (if enabled) end will also not use the played song to update your profile. If you play it via the LMS Spotify Connect player, it will log the songs played and scrobble them as well, which might lead to double scrobbles.

For me that is essentially why I replaced my two Squeezeboxe devices (a Touch and a Boom) with two WiiM Pro+ devices. I can play Spotify through LMS and through Spotify connect on two devices that are physically the same but logically two separate devices, on Spotify Connect endpoint and one LMS endpoint.

For those who are into scrobbling, there is another bonus to using the Spotty plugin in LMS, it has an option to clean up the tags on the Spotify content, so you get rid of things like "- 2015 Remasterd" and do not have to manually edit them in Last.FM.

You can give the Squeezelite client a different name than the WiiM name if you go to the Player settings in Logitech Media Server. That name will also be used by Spotty. If you enable Spotify Connect for that player, the same device will show up in Spotify with two different names, the name for WiiM device and the name that you gave it in LMS. Logically they are two separate devices.
Yes, but it will not survive a Wiim reboot. If the Wiim is rebooted for any reason, (firmware update, etc) Squeezelite will revert back to the Wiim name.

Yes, but it will not survive a Wiim reboot. If the Wiim is rebooted for any reason, (firmware update, etc) Squeezelite will revert back to the Wiim name.
Indeed, just forced a reboot and the name is back to the name I gave the WiiM. Other player settings are kept, but these are probably stored on the server (like scrobbling yes/no).

TIA
In case it helps, if you're able to port forward through your filewall, you could probably get discovery working:

I think (off the top of my head), its:

Allow UDP 3483 (and/or "broadcast" (x.y.z.255), TCP 3483, 9000

HTH! :)

In case it helps, if you're able to port forward through your filewall, you could probably get discovery working:

I think (off the top of my head), its:

Allow UDP 3483 (and/or "broadcast" (x.y.z.255), TCP 3483, 9000

HTH! :)
I don’t think that will let discovery work across sub nets which is the problem.

You definitely should not open those ports on your router. You will get hacked. Use a VPN.

The issue is that it should be possible to use a WiiM at the far end of the VPN tunnel by specifying the server IP using the -s switch that Squeezelite supports. But you can’t.

I don’t think that will let discovery work across sub nets which is the problem.

You definitely should not open those ports on your router. You will get hacked. Use a VPN.

The issue is that it should be possible to use a WiiM at the far end of the VPN tunnel by specifying the server IP using the -s switch that Squeezelite supports. But you can’t.
Fair point (IF we're talking about opening up incomming connections FROM the internet (which I wasn't sure if that was or not the thing...). In my mind, we were talking about both subnets being internal, but I guess actually that's not very likely...

I would have thought it possible to VPN into home, to be on the same subnet, so discovery *could* work...

Fair point (IF we're talking about opening up incomming connections FROM the internet (which I wasn't sure if that was or not the thing...). In my mind, we were talking about both subnets being internal, but I guess actually that's not very likely...

I would have thought it possible to VPN into home, to be on the same subnet, so discovery *could* work...
Actually I’ve seen a few people say that they do have separate internal subnets for IoT things etc

Back