Squeezelite and LMS

Super dumb question when you say client you mean in the back end as a way to connect it or an actual interface? I still think I just have an incorrect setting on my lms GUI interface thru the Firefox browser but no clue what it should be or currently is.
You're trying to use your LMS instance in effect as a UPNP server which it isn't, with the WiiM Home app as UPNP control point and your WiiM device the player. However, your issue seems to be that the Linux subsystem on your ChromeBook doesn't allow your LMS system to see the WiiM as a squeezelite player (which it is) when you use the LMS browser interface which as said is an unsupported installation. Neither can you use the WiiM Home app as an LMS control point as the LMS server isn't UPNP/DLNA compliant.

I'd try the MediaServer app I mentioned above, or host your LMS server on a supported platform.

The lms software is installed on my Chromebook using Linux.
… which uses a completely different ip address than ChromeOS on your Chromebook, making it very problematic to be accessible from external devices. You’ll be much better off simply using a Raspberry Pi.

In the case of LMS here, surely the stream comes from the cloud to the LMS server and then to its client I.e. the WiiM Squeezelite client? If you turn off the LMS server, the stream will die.
Absolutely, and all I really meant to say was the stream does not flow through the control point device which was the question I was trying to answer but probably didn't do a great job there.

Mike.
You can set the LMS player to run internet streams either direct or proxied. Proxied means through the server. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. When you sync 2 or more LMS players everthing becomes proxied in order to make the sync (and any necessary transcoding) work.
LMS is server centric, it controls the players whereas in UPnP you have a separate controller interfacing betwenn the server and player.
Yes so "control point" isn't really accurate, that's UPnP parlance, though the question I was trying to answer called it a controlling device, and was asking if the stream ran though that, which it does not.

Yes so "control point" isn't really accurate, that's UPnP parlance
Material, iPeng, Squeezer etc are all control points, but with LMS the playback queue (and the responsibility for advancing it) is held on the server, whereas in UPnP it's held on the control point and with OpenHome it's on the renderer.

I know that's not the question you were trying to answer ;)

Material, iPeng, Squeezer etc are all control points, but with LMS the playback queue (and the responsibility for advancing it) is held on the server, whereas in UPnP it's held on the control point and with OpenHome it's on the renderer.

Sometimes it can be on the renderer also for UPnP, like with the WiiM and its additional queue support.

Last edited:

Not really. They are all interfaces / wrappers direct to the web server running LMS. They don’t store anything. But it’s semantics I guess

Sometimes it can be on the renderer also for UPnP, like with the WiiM and its additional queue support.
It may be accessing UPnP servers but everything behind the scenes will be proprietary. Similar to accessing MinimServer through LMS using Remote Music Libraries.

Not really. They are all interfaces / wrappers direct to the web server running LMS. They don’t store anything. But it’s semantics I guess
UPnP control points are just wrappers to the web server running {insert name here} ;)

The only thing stored on a control point would be playlists if it offers that functionality.

I suppose the other big difference is in UPnP the control point discovers the renderer.

It may be accessing UPnP servers but everything behind the scenes will be proprietary. Similar to accessing MinimServer through LMS using Remote Music Libraries.
It's still via the UPnP/DLNA interface. Any control point can send the queue to the WiiM.

UPnP control points are just wrappers to the web server running {insert name here} ;)

The only thing stored on a control point would be playlists if it offers that functionality.

I suppose the other big difference is in UPnP the control point discovers the renderer.
If it discovers the renderer it cannot be just a wrapper to the web server but as I said it’s largely semantics

It's still via the UPnP/DLNA interface. Any control point can send the queue to the WiiM.
If you use a UPnP control point to play an album to the WiiM then the control point needs to remain active to advance the queue.
I set off an album, killed the control point and the WiiM stopped playing after the second track (it must cache the next track really early).
If the queue was held on the WiiM you'd probably be able to see the queue from the WHA, which you can't (or at least I couldn't).

If you use a UPnP control point to play an album to the WiiM then the control point needs to remain active to advance the queue.
I set off an album, killed the control point and the WiiM stopped playing after the second track (it must cache the next track really early).
If the queue was held on the WiiM you'd probably be able to see the queue from the WHA, which you can't (or at least I couldn't).
Most of control points does not know how to send the queue to the WiiM, they do not utilize PlayQueue service which has been added by Linkplay to services exposed within UPnP interface.

Most of control points does not know how to send the queue to the WiiM, they do not utilize PlayQueue service which has been added by Linkplay to services exposed within UPnP interface.
Is that part of the UPnP spec?

Browsing the WiiM the PlayQueue looks WiiM specific: schemas-wiimu-com:service: PlayQueue

Last edited:
If it discovers the renderer it cannot be just a wrapper to the web server but as I said it’s largely semantics
I guess 'control point' is a fairly generic term.
In LMS you're controlling the server (more like a remote control) whereas in UPnP you're orchestrating the whole show.

Is that part of the UPnP spec?

Browsing the WiiM the PlayQueue looks WiiM specific: schemas-wiimu-com:service: PlayQueue
I don't think so, it's a proprietary service which follows the UPnP architecture and meets the guidelines:

"UPnP vendors are allowed to differentiate their devices and extend a standard device by including additional services and embedded devices. Similarly, UPnP vendors are allowed to extend a standard service by including additional actions, state variables or allowed values"

I don't think so, it's a proprietary service which follows the UPnP architecture and meets the guidelines:

"UPnP vendors are allowed to differentiate their devices and extend a standard device by including additional services and embedded devices. Similarly, UPnP vendors are allowed to extend a standard service by including additional actions, state variables or allowed values"
Interesting, but other control points are unlikely to support it - assuming they're even aware of it. Do you know if it's even open for others to use?

Do you know if they use another custom/songcast extension for multi-room?

Has this improved thing’s significantly? The last time I pointed one of my WiiM at a DLNA server - can’t remember which - it was almost unusable from a playlist management point of view.

Has this improved thing’s significantly? The last time I pointed one of my WiiM at a DLNA server - can’t remember which - it was almost unusable from a playlist management point of view.
Are you talking about the WiiM Home App? It's still awful (for playlist management) although expecting big changes when they release the Amp.

Interesting, but other control points are unlikely to support it - assuming they're even aware of it. Do you know if it's even open for others to use?

Do you know if they use another custom/songcast extension for multi-room?
It's open for sure, I guess @cc_rider uses it in his applications.

Back