Toslink from the box. What is max audio quality?

dear support team, I just got my mini version and connected via toslink to marantz cinema 60. Could you please advise what audio quality is supported by your cable? And should I buy upgrade to remove cable from the box?

Thank you!

If should interest, I'm using mini's supplied toslink from the beginning, more than year ago, without problems, up to 192khz, on two different dacs.

Thank you guys! Just marantz don’t display quality of output audio. And I couldn’t check if hi res files are played in proper quality. I guess I can believe to what wiim app writes regarding played bitrates?
It supports resolution up to 192 kHz / 24 bit depth.
If should interest, I'm using mini's supplied toslink from the beginning, more than year ago, without problems, up to 192khz, on two different dacs.

Can you hear the test audio when you set "SPDIF Output Resolution" to 24bit/192kHz in the WiiM app?

Device > gear icon > Audio settings > SPDIF Output Resolution > 24bit/192kHz > Play test audio

Can you hear the test audio when you set "SPDIF Output Resolution" to 24bit/192kHz in the WiiM app?

Device > gear icon > Audio settings > SPDIF Output Resolution > 24bit/192kHz > Play test audio
If the question was for me, I haven't run this test for a long time and I seem to remember that, at least at the beginning, it was not reliable and not always working. Now I just see the sampling shown on the dac display and the total lack of "clicks" or other disturbances.

If the question was for me, I haven't run this test for a long time and I seem to remember that, at least at the beginning, it was not reliable and not always working. Now I just see the sampling shown on the dac display and the total lack of "clicks" or other disturbances.
Sorry,
I asked the OP a question. 🙂

Maybe this is an unnecessary question.😅

Yes, and marantz app displays correctly when I test 192 or 96. So it supports for sure.

Now there is another question, why tidal streams 96 max then 🗿

Yes, and marantz app displays correctly when I test 192 or 96. So it supports for sure.

Now there is another question, why tidal streams 96 max then 🗿
Because neither the WiiM nor the Marantz can perform a full unfold, so it's limited to 96 kHz.
And it's not possible to sent fully unfolded MQA stream over digital output, the last step must be done just before DA conversion.

dear support team, I just got my mini version and connected via toslink to marantz cinema 60. Could you please advise what audio quality is supported by your cable? And should I buy upgrade to remove cable from the box?

Thank you!
Many older toslink connections are limited to 24/96
An example right next to my computer is the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers that have that limit on coax and toslink
Of all the toslink cables I have, including quite old cables (more than a decade), all of them can handle 24/192 from the Wiim Pro to a Topping DAC, at both coax & toslink input
This includes the cable that came with the Wiim Pro

Because neither the WiiM nor the Marantz can perform a full unfold, so it's limited to 96 kHz.
And it's not possible to sent fully unfolded MQA stream over digital output, the last step must be done just before DA conversion.
Thank you for your answer. I’m just new to all this audio topic. Just recently bought first system.

Sooo is there anything that I should do? Or it is as it is? And I am doomed with 24/96?

Many older toslink connections are limited to 24/96
An example right next to my computer is the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers that have that limit on coax and toslink
Of all the toslink cables I have, including quite old cables (more than a decade), all of them can handle 24/192 from the Wiim Pro to a Topping DAC, at both coax & toslink input
This includes the cable that came with the Wiim Pro
Thank you! If I understood you correctly, I should try different cables? I have mini version. If yes, could you please advise maybe some specific items you use, so I could also try at home?

Thank you for your answer. I’m just new to all this audio topic. Just recently bought first system.

Sooo is there anything that I should do? Or it is as it is? And I am doomed with 24/96?
You would need a DAC with MQA decoder feature over spdif to get resolutions higher than 96 kHz. No idea why when Tidal withdraws MQA already.

Thank you! If I understood you correctly, I should try different cables? I have mini version. If yes, could you please advise maybe some specific items you use, so I could also try at home?
No, the cable attached to the Mini is perfectly fine.

And the fact that WiiM does not have a USB out makes the search for a DAC with full MQA not easier..

No
The included cable will work as long as the dac is capable of 24/192
which any modern dac should be

Wait a little... Tidal is dropping mqa support and is changing to Flac hi-res.
Process is on the run, support for connect on external streamers like wiim, not yet released. It's question of time and mqa will be forgotten.
By now, new hd releases are and wiil be in flac, at the moment played at cd level if using connect.
I would say that mqa had sense in order to have quite same results of hi-res flac, at very reduced bandwidth and space. The first unfold done by Tidal app itself and supported by wiim was the only needed step. Second and third unfolds were just an upsampling, not different to any other and they had the only purpose to rise the numbers.

Back