Ultra and amp pro and prices..

I refuse to buy one until I know it will play DSD files. I got suckered in upgrading from a Pro to a Pro Plus with the promise of DSD per the Dac specs but it was bogus. I’m not greeting suckered again.
You probably should ask the ones making the product or refer to it's own spec sheets instead of reading what the DAC chip supports when you buy your next product.

I could not clearly find out weather the Phono input is really suitable for MM and MC and how it would be adjusted. I tried the new app for the Ultra and the only thing I could find in the audio settings was a function called Autosense… I think it recognizes the active input.
Concerning the Amp Pro, I was told that it will feature the same DAC and will be Roon ready.
Last but not least I was told that they have a third amplifier in the pipeline…
Amp Pro Plus
It will be a combination of Amp Pro and Ultra… with display/tuchscreen.

The Ultra is slightly bigger than the amp as you can see in the picture…
Did they give any timeline for this Amp Pro Plus? If it’s hot on the heels, I might be persuaded to wait. I’ll have to have a think.

No thanks, I’ve got more pieces of old electronics than I know what to do with, and have run out of power points for the stuff I do use. I need to visit the local recycling point with a car load rather than procure any more…

Does that mean you will be able to listen to Atmos Mixes on the Ultra?
If it's true that the Ultra supports Atmos, at the most I'd expect a transparent pass-through to a multichannel amp, and if multichannel isn't available, then the Atmos data will get downmixed to two channel.

But I suspect that this might be a misunderstanding. There's nothing regarding Dolby Digital / ATMOS on the WiiM Ultra datasheet. The DAC they're using might support it, but it's up to WiiM to enable and use that feature.

If it's true that the Ultra supports Atmos, at the most I'd expect a transparent pass-through to a multichannel amp, and if multichannel isn't available, then the Atmos data will get downmixed to two channel.

But I suspect that this might be a misunderstanding. There's nothing regarding Dolby Digital / ATMOS on the WiiM Ultra datasheet. The DAC they're using might support it, but it's up to WiiM to enable and use that feature.
The multichannel passthrough to an amp would be the right way for me. Let's hope that will be possible.

I refuse to buy one until I know it will play DSD files. I got suckered in upgrading from a Pro to a Pro Plus with the promise of DSD per the Dac specs but it was bogus. I’m not greeting suckered again.
Well just because the DAC is capable of DSD, does not mean it will be implemented. Since it is primarily a streamer and streaming is not offered in DSD, it makes no sense to spend resources and support time on DSD playback.

The ESS website shows the ES9038 Q2M SABRE as a 2 channel DAC.

The ESS website shows the ES9038 Q2M SABRE as a 2 channel DAC.

The WIIM Team is working on building an MRM surround system that will use multiple WiiM devices. In other words, surround sound is transmitted to the client device digitally without going through the DAC. 🤗

The WIIM Team is working on building an MRM surround system that will use multiple WiiM devices. In other words, surround sound is transmitted to the client device digitally without going through the DAC. 🤗
Hopefully that means a passthrough is also possible. I think they try to create multichannel audio with grouped/connected WiiM devices. Or am I wrong?

Hopefully that means a passthrough is also possible. I think they try to create multichannel audio with grouped/connected WiiM devices. Or am I wrong?
If my recognition of the Team post is not wrong, then yes, you are right.
WiiM devices linked with WiiM Multi-Room Music (MRM) become surround speakers.

Example; (Amplifier omitted)
1000000276.jpg

Such a system makes it easy to adjust the surround speakers (balance, PEQ, volume, sync...) even on current WiiM devices. 🙂

If my recognition of the Team post is not wrong, then yes, you are right.
WiiM devices linked with WiiM Multi-Room Music (MRM) become surround speakers.

Example; (Amplifier omitted)
View attachment 7059

Such a system makes it easy to adjust the surround speakers (balance, PEQ, volume, sync...) even on current WiiM devices. 🙂
And the central speaker?)

And the central speaker?)
As the team said 4.1ch, there is no center speaker.

Edit;
(From now on my fantasy. 🤗)
I think it will probably be their first step. Depending on user usage and demands, the number of channels may increase in the future.

However, in reality, it is possible that one WiiM will be required for each SR1ch. In that case, 4.1ch requires one WiiM Ultra (or WiiM amp pro) and two WiiM mini (or Pro and higher devices).

Last edited:
Someday, Wiim may replace AVRs?
I already decided to replace my Denon AVR with WiiM amp when my WiiM Ultra arrives. Hate the Denon menu system from the 90's and all the weird things I keep finding don't work as required (think it was digital inputs going to zone2 or something). I'll use high quality 2.1 rather than an AVR with 5.1. Maybe one day it will become 5.1 again if WiiM get into that space and it would totally make sense for them.

Back