WiiM Pro Initial Setup

I incorrectly said "settings" when I mean to say "setup." If your BT isn't recognized after you complete "setup" the app doesn't allow you back to "setup". You have to hold a symbol on the box for some number of seconds to go back to setup. That doesn't make sense to me.

But once more, a proper User Guide would solve all this. But who can be bothered for a product with such a short life span? It would take me less than 1 hour to write a very thorough User Guide. Linkplay couldn't be bothered because this thing will only be saleable for a few months until the next faster, cheaper, better, chip arrives on the scene.

I've been buying stereo gear since 1970. I'm accustomed to manufacturers that have the resources to properly complete their offerings by considering the user experience. I'm referring to REAL companies that have the resources to be in a consumer market. They can take the time to write user manuals, they have designers who know how to label the controls, who know you don't use dark grey printing over black plastic to identify control surfaces, etc. This product ha s zero user friendliness because they have no clue how that is accomplished. Yes, it works--someone has a electrical design idea, then figured they were done. Very unsophisticated offering regarding the rest of the design. I see this happening a lot with "digital" products. I suspect it's because these are designed by kids who have no industrial or manufacturing or marketing experience. Just my opinion.
As soon as a Better one comes along, this one will go into my junk drawer.
I think you missing out on and great piece of equipment by giving up so soon. The included manual more of a quick setup guild. Much more info is min the FAQ help section.

I noticed a switch the last few years to manual for hi fi equipment moving to online. With the frequent upgrades to WiiM products it makes more sense to post info where it can be updated with changes as they happen.

Considering they also offer a forum to request info and are quick to respond to tickets there doing a lot more than many other manufacturers to help you get the device up and running. I felt the setup steps where easy to follow and sorry your experience was different.

May I ask what areas you found difficult with setup? Hopefully someone here can help you figure it out. Seems a shame to have something and not get enjoyment outa of it. Plus the WiiM pro was just released and feedback like yours will help them produce a better manual or easier setup steps.

May I ask what areas you found difficult with setup?

Hi,
Sure.

First off, I am NOT familiar with a lot of digital technology. My interest is in the music. So, I consider that any retail product I buy shouold carry no assumptions about my knowledge of the device aforehand.

1. As soon as I saw the tiny User Guide, I went through it and found this comment on page 3: "Product User Guides: wiimhome.com/wiimpro/guides"

But that address returns this message: "Access denied". So, right off the get go, the book is wrong in a obvious way. Bad start. Now, I am left with the tiny booklet.

2. So, back to Page 1-"Connect your Pro to your stereo system through either through Line OUT (not Line IN) SPDIF Out, or Coax Out. Plug in USB cable to Type C power Port." Putting aside the grammatical error, if given a choice of three outputs, how would I know which to choose or why? That's a basic question anyone would ask. They are not equal choices. There is a big downside I found to using "LINE OUT." But, that was the easiest choice to make. So, that is what I did.

It continues:
"SETUP: Press and hold the play button for 3 seconds or longer.
"Restore to Factory Setting - Press/hold Play button on the Wiim Pro for 10 seconds or longer.
Bluetooth pairing - Press/Hold volume +&- for 2 seconds or longer.

Nothing tells me to set BlueTooth on my mobile device, so I didn't so anything with it.

"Page 2 - Download the Wiim Home app when you are ready to get started. You'll use it to setup and control your Wiim Pro. "
Wait, what? I thought I was already involved in setting it up? Shouldn't this have been downloaded already?

"
Connect to Wiim Home App
1. Turn on Bluetooth in your mobile device's settings.
Should I have done that back when I pressed +&- several steps ago?
2. Back to the Wiim Home app, choose the device you found and tap "Setup". The app found nothing because I had not paired the Bluetooth yet, and haven't I already been setting it up? This made no sense, as I was not aware that BT had not paired, because by the time I set my BT settings, the pairing function went OFF on the WiimPro already. Furthermore, I wondered why do I need BT when this is going to be connected to my WiFi router along with my iPad?
3. Allow the location permission to discover the nearby network to setup the WiFi network for the WiimPro. Well, I did this, but still BT was not paired unknown to me. So, here I did the "setup" which meant selecting number of bits and bitrate and such, but still was not paired with BT. Now I discover the BT problem, I get it paired, then go back to the app to change the SETUP, but there is no menu item in the app to take me back to setup. I relaunch the app 3 times no luck - then I start all over again - this time with BT paired and I can finally get the sound check etc.
3. Fill your home with music
Stream your favorite music, radio stations through the WiFi or Bluetooth. Having multiple WiimPro devices, play streaming music the whole house. Or plug in a stereo component like an amplified turntable, CD play or MPS player - and cast music to multiple Wiim Pro connected speakers at once.

WTH? How do I choose to stream from either BT or WiFi? Where is that explained? Plug a stereo component into what? What is a Wiim Pro connected speaker? I have nothing working yet!

This is obviously just one opinion from one user, but this skimpy user guide is an embarrassment should be an embarrassment to the company, the engineers, and whoever wrote it. It has errors, it is confusing, it lacks crucial information, and it is incomplete, and it leads people down the wrong path because the sequence isn't even logical. It could be fixed very easily by any competent technical writer. I'm very happy for you all who defend this as some glorious product.

I eventually got it to work, and it is pretty good sounding. But I regret buying it already. At $29, it would have been tolerable. It would meet my expectation of cheap imported electronics. At the $149 price I paid, it was a very negative experience. I'll use it until a better thing is available and then dump it in the drawer with all the rest of the cheap disposable electronic junk.

Thanks for asking.

Please take my reply with respect and sincerity. I founded and ran a home theater and audio retailer in New England with fairly extensive support for our customers. We specialized in multi room audio. You are not the right customer for this product. I would recommend Sonos products for you if you are interested in continuing with digital music sources and streaming. We were one of their first retailers and they address many of your specific concerns. I will say that I frankly prefer an LMS ecosystem for my stereos that can really make difference with 24/192 sources that Sonos cannot deal with, but are handled by the WiiM. But for a lot of consumers that is not an issue. The Sonos systems provide a more user friendly setup for many people.

Please take my reply with respect and sincerity. I founded and ran a home theater and audio retailer in New England with fairly extensive support for our customers. We specialized in multi room audio. You are not the right customer for this product. I would recommend Sonos products for you if you are interested in continuing with digital music sources and streaming. We were one of their first retailers and they address many of your specific concerns. I will say that I frankly prefer an LMS ecosystem for my stereos that can really make difference with 24/192 sources that Sonos cannot deal with, but are handled by the WiiM. But for a lot of consumers that is not an issue. The Sonos systems provide a more user friendly setup for many people.
Thanks.. absolutely no offense taken. I wanted to switch to Amazon Music from Spotify for The higher res music. Spotify was ok for casual, but didn't compare to my CDs. So, I probably wouldn't benefit much from Sonos based on your comments.
However, in many ways I sort of regret even bothering to get into digital. I gave up my TT years ago when we're moved into a smaller home. Couple years ago, when I rekindled my interest in getting better sound, I debated internally about getting another TT, or expanding my digital system. I couldn't face the prospect of rebuying all my favorite LPs, so I jumped on the digital bandwagon. Now, I'm kind of half in, and finding that at my age (74) Digital just isn't as much fun or satisfying as analog gear. I'm not in the least bit interested in computers, video games, NAS, etc. So, it's all a bit of a chore to me.

I imagine that some point a nicer product will emerge and I'll buy it and put this one in the rear view mirror. I still don't know why it uses BT If it and all my computers are connected to my router? 😧

I played the Wiim for 5 hours today and it sounded good. That's a start. Thanks for the info.

I live for an analog sound. But as I often say, I’m an analog man in a digital world. If you stick to digital, I can’t recommend enough a R2R resistor ladder DAC over today’ common single bit Delta-Sigma DACs. It’s technology as old as us and just sounds more fat and analog. One example is the Schiit Bifrost. Schiit is a great company, US made, aluminum case, tiny manual. And by the way, after I sold my store, I moved to Key West and did local radio and learned about the power of Margaritas.

Schiit is a great company, US made, aluminum case, tiny manual.
Completely agree. I converted my entire music listening experience this past year to a Schiit stack (Modius~Saga+~Sys~Vidar) and added to it an RSL 10S MKII Speedwoofer and Q Acoustic 3020i speakers. All of this was being fed with a Wiim mini but now a Wiim Pro is in place and controlled by Roon. One warning on Schiit products, they're highly addictive so you may find yourself spending more than you originally planned.

Thanks @Desertratt and sorry that you got off to a bad start with the WiiM Pro. Hopefully your experience will improve now that it’s up and running.

I think part of the issue is WiiM and many other audio, computer, cell phones, etc. they assume we all grew up with technology and don’t realize older customers often need more info with clearer written instructions on the basic functions and reason for choosing them. Did the FAQ area help with understanding the functionality of the product?

Thank you for taking time to explain issue you had trouble with. I think WiiM will appreciate this, they really do try to make customers happy and the feedback you offered will help with this.

My understanding is you’re using an iPad with the WiiM Pro into a receiver? Then using either headphones or speakers?

Hi Klipscher,

I'm using the iPad to run Amazing Music app with Wiim into a Cambridge DAC, then into my Carver preamp then into a miniDSP feeding two Carver amps into my bi-amped open baffle speakers. It has been working ok, and it sounds pretty good with Amazon Music. The only thing I don't understand yet is what role BT plays since I'm connected to WiFi? Is like to know what information is communicated via Bluetooth?

Thanks for your concern. The com paint just needs to write an accurate, logical installation manual.
Cheers,
Desert ratt

Most modern IoT devices use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to greatly simplify configuration. The app first finds a new device using BLE, determines that it's the correct type of device to configure, then does many of the things that would have previously been done by the user having to manually enter a bunch of stuff.

It's so simple, user manuals aren't normally required, the app guides you through, and "it just works", as it most certainly did when I configured my WiiM devices, with no issues whatsoever. Thanks, WiiM, for making this so utterly simple to configure!

A tutorial from IBM on how this is done: https://developer.ibm.com/tutorials/build-connected-devices-using-ble-apis/

Most modern IoT devices use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to greatly simplify configuration. The app first finds a new device using BLE, determines that it's the correct type of device to configure, then does many of the things that would have previously been done by the user having to manually enter a bunch of stuff.
I understand your answer. However, I'm not sure that addresses my question about the use of BT. Example: On page 3 of the included WiimPro Quick Guide, it says the following: "Stream your favorite music, radio stations through WiFi or Bluetooth. Having multiple WiimPro devices, play streaming music the whole house. Or, plug in a stereo component - like an amplified turntable, CD player, or MPS player - and cast music to multiple WiimPro connected speakers at once."
It shows a diagram of of PC, TV, and record player "leading to" a WiimPro that appears to be "broadcasting" a signal into other rooms with Wiim and what looks like a free-standing unconnected speaker.

The first sentence implied
streaming with BT. That seems to contradict your understanding and doesn't answer my question. I tried to connect my smart TV with BT as shown in the diagram - it couldn't find the WiimPro.

Look, I have no argument of any kind with all of you users who had no trouble - congrats! My only interest is to let the company know that the docs are well below any reasonable standard for what is actually a complicated product. As I showed, the Quick Guide has factual errors, logical errors, and grammatical errors. Is that something they are proud of? I wouldn't be.

I doubt the company has one iota of interest in this subject matter at all.

There’s no contradiction whatsoever. BLE is there to idiot-proof the onboarding process, at least for the vast majority. BT streaming is also there, though it’s pretty much redundant, given all the better WiFi streaming options provided by the WiiM Pro.

If you’re so unhappy, why not return it, find something “better”, and bugger off. Your posts haven’t been the least bit helpful.

Hi Klipscher,

I'm using the iPad to run Amazing Music app with Wiim into a Cambridge DAC, then into my Carver preamp then into a miniDSP feeding two Carver amps into my bi-amped open baffle speakers. It has been working ok, and it sounds pretty good with Amazon Music. The only thing I don't understand yet is what role BT plays since I'm connected to WiFi? Is like to know what information is communicated via Bluetooth?

Thanks for your concern. The com paint just needs to write an accurate, logical installation manual.
Cheers,
Desert ratt
Nice equipment, with it I wouldn’t be too concerned with bluetooth connection it basically just another input mode that has worse sound quality than Wi-Fi offers.

You have a great new years!!

There’s no contradiction whatsoever. BLE is there to idiot-proof the onboarding process, at least for the vast majority. BT streaming is also there, though it’s pretty much redundant, given all the better WiFi streaming options provided by the WiiM Pro.

If you’re so unhappy, why not return it, find something “better”, and bugger off. Your posts haven’t been the least bit helpful.
Redundant? No, that's not the right word at all. I can only conclude you don't know anywhere near enough about the product to be hassling me over my questions. Let it be, and maybe others have the correct information.

Nice equipment, with it I wouldn’t be too concerned with bluetooth connection it basically just another input mode that has worse sound quality than Wi-Fi offers.

You have a great new years!!

Thanks K.

Once I understood how the BT works, I considered maybe connecting my TV. That was why I asked how BT was being used. Apparently, it's much more than just "configuring the unit." It can be used with a host of BT devices.

There may be less critical devices I could use the Wiim to connect. But, if I read the UG in the app correctly, I'd have to go to the Wiim and press and hold +&- to initiate a BT pairing each time I wanted to switch back to the TV from the Amazon app.

Thanks, and you too have a good new year!

P.S> I've got the UG printed out now and I am good to go. THX

Isn’t the miniDSP, that I assume is being used as an active crossover, limited to 24/96 on the analog input path? That would kneecap any 24/192 files coming from the WiiM/Cambridge DAC.

Isn’t the miniDSP, that I assume is being used as an active crossover, limited to 24/96 on the analog input path? That would kneecap any 24/192 files coming from the WiiM/Cambridge DAC.
It will be resampled internally to 48 or 96 kHz, depending on the model and Dirac Live presence.

Back