WiiM Pro Plus

Nine! There are nine Angelic Choirs! You can learn it in a so called "Internet".

you'll have to pay to see it.
normal.....
Eh no, my friend. I’ll not pay to see. I pass. ;)
I don’t think i’ll buy this one. Waiting for the next. But…i can always see what users will say. 😊

At least on paper, the performance of the new model is excellent. €250 for that content is very little, just as the €179 I paid for the Pro is a ridiculous amount.
I think anyone who finds these prices high does not have a clear perception of the usual costs of HiFi components.

At least on paper, the performance of the new model is excellent. €250 for that content is very little, just as the €179 I paid for the Pro is a ridiculous amount.
I think anyone who finds these prices high does not have a clear perception of the usual costs of HiFi components.
I have … they are mostly overpriced 😂 However the price is good…

Eh no, my friend. I’ll not pay to see. I pass. ;)
I don’t think i’ll buy this one. Waiting for the next. But…i can always see what users will say. 😊
my point was global...
anyway this is the limit of these discussions.. because in the end many participants already have a pro on dac (see mini on dac) and therefore are not concerned...
remains essentially those in mini or pro "alone" (the pro can stick to the purchase of a dac) who may be interested ...

renewal .. pretexts etc is one thing ..
but for wiim can be especially interesting to know if the pro plus will interest the non-equipped etc etc.... which are not very present here

I agree with you. The price, i can say, is very cheap. Reason because i’m not interested in is that i own the Pro, a Topping D50s and a SMSL 500MKIII. So the new DAC is not interesting to me. Could the internal DAC of the Pro+ be better than my devices? I think not.
For this reason i will wait the next if, as was told, it will have USB Out and, may be, some more characteristics. Personally i would have an aluminium body and, why not, a small screen ;)

my point was global...
anyway this is the limit of these discussions.. because in the end many participants already have a pro on dac (see mini on dac) and therefore are not concerned...
remains essentially those in mini or pro "alone" (the pro can stick to the purchase of a dac) who may be interested ...

renewal .. pretexts etc is one thing ..
but for wiim can be especially interesting to know if the pro plus will interest the non-equipped etc etc.... which are not very present here
Agreed 😊

The price gap between the Pro and the Pro+ is really very small, basically they are two products of different quality sold in the same price range.
In these conditions the Pro has no chance to survive.
Perhaps it would be good to understand the current price of the Pro+ as an launch price and then transfer it to a more suitable price range in one or two months.
In this way, many would upgrade before the increase, and then you could choose between Pro and Pro+ as needed.

My situation is that here is a Pro and also a choice of DACs I had before. And happy with what I've got. Especially with the app. Anyway, sometimes I feel to be the only one 😉
But all what was to read makes me sure the Pro+ will also come as soon as it is available here. The fun with trying the different DACs including the new internal one is surely worth the little investment. And if it is only good to confirm my conviction that DACs are the most overrated parts of a stereo 😂 it is also fine.
The "old" one will find a place or goes on reserve. Like Harry, but without whining..

I'm sure the team is following this thread with great interest.

The price gap between the Pro and the Pro+ is really very small, basically they are two products of different quality sold in the same price range.
In these conditions the Pro has no chance to survive.
Perhaps it would be good to understand the current price of the Pro+ as an launch price and then transfer it to a more suitable price range in one or two months.
In this way, many would upgrade before the increase, and then you could choose between Pro and Pro+ as needed.

Pure speculation on my part but I believe it's very likely that the Pro is no longer going to be manufactured beyond whatever existing POs are in place. My guess is that the naming of Pro Plus vs the more accurate Pro v2 is simply a marketing choice to hopefully make it easier to unload already held inventory of the Pro (v1).

Pure speculation on my part but I believe it's very likely that the Pro is no longer going to be manufactured beyond whatever existing POs are in place. My guess is that the naming of Pro Plus vs the more accurate Pro v2 is simply a marketing choice to hopefully make it easier to unload already held inventory of the Pro (v1).
With only 50€ to separate them it is inevitable, but it seems to me a pity. The Pro is a great product and more than adequate as a DAC for mid-range stereos.
Additionally, from what I understand the Pro has a lower power consumption than the Pro+, making it particularly suitable for installations where the component is constantly on, such as my secondary stereo when I'm awake.
So why kill it if it can be kept alive simply by placing the Pro+ higher?

With only 50€ to separate them it is inevitable, but it seems to me a pity. The Pro is a great product and more than adequate as a DAC for mid-range stereos.
Additionally, from what I understand the Pro has a lower power consumption than the Pro+, making it particularly suitable for installations where the component is constantly on, such as my secondary stereo when I'm awake.
So why kill it if it can be kept alive simply by placing the Pro+ higher?

I would never argue to increase the price on the Pro+ simply to keep the Pro on the market! WiiM's niche is the low price point and I doubt the different DAC will eat their margin too bad given their volumes.

Rather I view this as a lesson learned that they should have used a better measuring DAC to begin with and avoid this whole situation. They essentially repeated the same mistake Blusound made with the original Node.

I also don't think the increased utility bill makes a material difference in the consumer buying decision. I could very well be biased based on cost of electricity where we live but that's really a trivial increase in the monthly utility bill.

I would never argue to increase the price on the Pro+ simply to keep the Pro on the market! WiiM's niche is the low price point and I doubt the different DAC will eat their margin too bad given their volumes.

Rather I view this as a lesson learned that they should have used a better measuring DAC to begin with and avoid this whole situation. They essentially repeated the same mistake Blusound made with the original Node.

I also don't think the increased utility bill makes a material difference in the consumer buying decision. I could very well be biased based on cost of electricity where we live but that's really a trivial increase in the monthly utility bill.
I'm not a marketer for this company, but in general, it's foolish to discontinue a product whose development and industrialization costs have already been amortized, especially when keeping it alive requires positioning a subsequent product correctly.
Moreover, this new product rightfully belongs to a higher tier due to its features.
Of course, this is just my opinion, but I'm confident that the team, who surely follows this thread, will take it into consideration.

Certainly, you are free to disregard energy consumption, but I prioritize it. Not for economic reasons, as reducing condominiums is costly."

I'm not a marketer for this company, but in general, it's foolish to discontinue a product whose development and industrialization costs have already been amortized, especially when keeping it alive requires positioning a subsequent product correctly.
Moreover, this new product rightfully belongs to a higher tier due to its features.
Of course, this is just my opinion, but I'm confident that the team, who surely follows this thread, will take it into consideration.

Certainly, you are free to disregard energy consumption, but I prioritize it. Not for economic reasons, as reducing condominiums is costly."
*reduce consumption

Why not having a few stages in one range? The box remains, the features differ? Common in many different industries. In this price range 50 € steps are significant.
If WiiM, what I honestly hope, follows another strategy than all these chinois grazers they will be remain polite enough to let the community think they read every wish. If they have a serious and professional working market research the roadmap is already done for a long while in advance.

@WiimFan
Do yourself a favor and beware of Amir's children's playground. You will certainly be confused by a lot of know-nothings but feeling-important-writings with their oscilloscopes and their great vocabulary of what they call science. 😉

add. Of course not every ASR participant is as I wrote, but also not every "Youtuber" or whatsoever is dumb. Also it is a big difference for me between users following the measurement way and doing great jobs here and give daily proofs of what they do. But only writing "look at ASR" and get smart is cheap and too easy. There are as many charlatans as on every other platform. The absolute number will differ. One is a for many people relevant platform and the other is.....the tiny refuge of the enlightened?
@Achim1811 thanks for your advice.

I am aware of the site "ASR" but unfortunately despite the technical information available, to me, it's just whole bunch of "techno-jumbo" that I don't understand.

I am not sure whether it's because of my lack of technical background, but the measurements don't seem to address many of the sound qualities that audiophiles frequently mention eg. spaciousness, depth, 3D, organic etc. I suppose if ASR explains more clearly how each measurement is related to sound quality that we actually hear, then maybe I am able to connect to it more.

That's why I spend time on this forum, which to me have more balanced and respectful viewpoints of people who actually use Wiim products, to help me evaluate whether the new Wiim Pro+ will meet my needs or if I need to look for more expensive DACs.

Mostly in agreement except I view it more from the angle of an odd decision to introduce a v2 so quickly wrt cost amortization. Once the "mistake" had been made I simply would have waited much longer given my gut tells me anyone who cares enough about DAC measurements (I doubt most could even tell during repeated ABX) would be using this as a pure digital transport to begin with.

Clearly they've tried to keep as much the same as possible between the two versions to offset that. I'm also always shocked by just how cheap these pivots can be when working with Chinese manufacturers. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Pro (v1) resurface under a different skin from Shenzhen soon enough hah.

As to power, if for ecological concerns than I certainly applaud you for being conscious! It doesn't reflect well on me that utility cost was the first thing that came to mind.

Back