Wiim Pro problem with output audio

HiFi_freak

Hi,

I ethernet connected the Wiim Pro with my dac via SPDIF/Toslink and via coax. I use Tidal HiFi Master HiRes.
Toslink:
Test-tone sounds with 24/192
The master music from Tidal via Dac: only 44khz

Coax:
Test-tone sounds with 24/192
Tidal Master via Dac only 48khz

I have a prof. Dac:

Manunta (M2Tech) DAC TWO Plus

• Kategorie: D/A-Wandler
  • Price: 760$
  • Digital inputs: USB, S/PDIF Cinch, Toslink, I²S to HDMI
  • Output: 1 x Cinch
  • Samplingrate: 44.1-384 kHz, 16-32 Bit | DSD64 - DSD256
What is wrong? Is it a problem from the Wiim Pro?
As connection cable I took the stock cable from Wiim.

Last edited:
Which DAC? MQA ability? If so, renderer or/and decoder? MQA via which inputs? The name of the item would be very helpful.

Have you enabled MQA beta within your device’s audio settings in the Wiim home app? Are you casting from the tidal app? If not, the Wiim doesn’t do the first MQA unfold.

The Dac name is above…
Ah....may be it was to bold for my old eyes.
I checked a few websites for your DAC and can not find it is designed for MQA.
So, with the WiiM you will "only" reach 96 and that only as @Brantome describes.

Yes, I enabled MQA and I took the connection via Tidal connect….but it connect with 44khz.
I started the test tone scenario and it connected with 24/192 via toslink.
After that I connected with Tidal connect again…only 44khz.

@Achim1811 : You think that my dac will better work with the Bluesound node 2i or an other streamer like Auralic Aries Mini,….?!

Last edited:
@HiFi_freak
I am the wrong man to ask about MQA because I name it a big fraud. Is MQA the only reason to replace your well reviewed DAC which I do not know and never was in contact with?
Also I know nothing about the actual Aries mini. I stopped my interest years ago because they hadn't integrated Qobuz.
The Node otherwise came to me with the 2i, the 2 without i had the same problem with Qobuz. It was replaced two weeks ago with the Node X. For me a decent streamer with a decent DAC and a brilliant software for a very affordable price. I am quite sure there are other judgements 😉 No idea what they do with MQA, because of the above mentioned reason. It is able to decode and render MQA. But...as above.
My very personal recommendation, if you want to read it: Stay with the WiiM Pro and with your DAC and replace Tidal with Qobuz. The software is a little bit different, but thats a few hours knowing each other. And the Kings Way, if you want or need a somewhat guided tour to music with personal recommendations have a closer look on Roon. We, because my wife loves Roon, run it with the Node X and for us it fits fantastic. The WiiM people say the certification of Roon will come.
I am not sure and may be someone can tell you if there is a DAC which delivers full MQA up to 192 with the WiiM, the ones I have had needed USB for MQA. There are for sure answers.

@HiFi_freak
I am the wrong man to ask about MQA because I name it a big fraud. Is MQA the only reason to replace your well reviewed DAC which I do not know and never was in contact with?
Also I know nothing about the actual Aries mini. I stopped my interest years ago because they hadn't integrated Qobuz.
The Node otherwise came to me with the 2i, the 2 without i had the same problem with Qobuz. It was replaced two weeks ago with the Node X. For me a decent streamer with a decent DAC and a brilliant software for a very affordable price. I am quite sure there are other judgements 😉 No idea what they do with MQA, because of the above mentioned reason. It is able to decode and render MQA. But...as above.
My very personal recommendation, if you want to read it: Stay with the WiiM Pro and with your DAC and replace Tidal with Qobuz. The software is a little bit different, but thats a few hours knowing each other. And the Kings Way, if you want or need a somewhat guided tour to music with personal recommendations have a closer look on Roon. We, because my wife loves Roon, run it with the Node X and for us it fits fantastic. The WiiM people say the certification of Roon will come.
I am not sure and may be someone can tell you if there is a DAC which delivers full MQA up to 192 with the WiiM, the ones I have had needed USB for MQA. There are for sure answers.
I’m shure that my DAC is a very good item and I don’t want to sell him.
I don’t know if only Qobuz will change my problem.
I think about to sell the Wiim Pro because I read from many problem in this forum about wrong or to low resolution. I can still return the Wiim Pro to the retailer.
Do you have, additional to the Node X a Wiim?
Roon is very expensive…!?

There are users of the WiiM Pro who successfully use Tidal Connect to output up to 24/96 to a compatible DA. I suggest you reset the Pro then check its audio settings for MQA beta and see if you get up to 24/96. If that doesn’t work, submit a ticket to WiiM thru the feedback section in the WiiM Home app - no need to bail out so soon to other more expensive solutions.

We live in two different places with three different rooms to provide with music and we grant us three different setups. So it is not a common situation. But we are old and settled 😉
As far it is about having full resolution with the WiiM Qobuz is for sure the solution. Even the internal DAC from the Pro is able to do so and I can not remember problems I read about with Qobuz.
But for me it makes no sense to link a player like the Node with an external DAC if you have to look at your budget. And without knowing the last mile of your system like amp and speakers it is to difficult to give valid hints.
And yes, Roon is no bargain.

Last edited:
There are users of the WiiM Pro who successfully use Tidal Connect to output up to 24/96 to a compatible DA. I suggest you reset the Pro then check its audio settings for MQA beta and see if you get up to 24/96. If that doesn’t work, submit a ticket to WiiM thru the feedback section in the WiiM Home app - no need to bail out so soon to other more expensive solutions.
I resetted the Wiim pro and did it again. Same problem as before.
Wiim showed “Tidal connect” with only 44khz on Tidal Hifi+

I took my old TC electronic DAC BMC-2 (max. 24/96 at technical specification).

Wiim test tone: 24/96
Most music via Wiim Pro App/Tidal Hifi+: 24/96khz

It seems that Wiim Pro works not with all DACs very well.

Last edited:
Submit a ticket to WiiM so they can inspect your device logs and perhaps identify the issue.I’d also check both optical and coax outputs and try different cables too.

I resetted the Wiim pro and did it again. Same problem as before.
Wiim showed “Tidal connect” with only 44khz on Tidal Hifi+

I took my old TMC electronic DAC BMC-2 (max. 24/96 at technical specification).

Wiim test tone: 24/96
Most music via Wiim Pro App/Tidal Hifi+: 24/96khz

It seems that Wiim Pro works not with all DACs very well.
MQA unfolding by the Pro is not related to the DAC, it will work even if there is no DAC connected.
Verify that everything is correct:
- Tidal Connect and Tidal app used
- MQA enabled in the WiiM app
- MQA capabilities set to No MQA or Renderer only
- digital output set to at least 96/24 in the WiiM app
- EQ off, fixed volume, although it's not necessary for WiiM unfolding
- HiFi Plus subscription, and HiFi Plus - Master content enabled in the Tidal app

You should see 88.2 or 96 kHz in the WiiM app for any content unfolded by the device.

Submit a ticket to WiiM so they can inspect your device logs and perhaps identify the issue.I’d also check both optical and coax outputs and try different cables too.
Thank you for your support, but I have the impression that the Wiim Pro is a device that is still very immature and will only be brought to maturity over time by user reports through updates. The time is a bit too valuable for me and I'll see how the Node 2i copes with it.
MQA unfolding by the Pro is not related to the DAC, it will work even if there is no DAC connected.
Verify that everything is correct:
- Tidal Connect and Tidal app used
- MQA enabled in the WiiM app
- MQA capabilities set to No MQA or Renderer only
- digital output set to at least 96/24 in the WiiM app
- EQ off, fixed volume, although it's not necessary for WiiM unfolding
- HiFi Plus subscription, and HiFi Plus - Master content enabled in the Tidal app

You should see 88.2 or 96 kHz in the WiiM app for any content unfolded by the device.
Thanks a lot.
Yes, I did so but as result I onls see 44 khz in the Wiim App….with the Manunta (M2Tech) DAC TWO Plus.
With my older TC electronic BMC-2 it works….with Master songs, with other songs from the Tidal Hifi+ connect only 44 or 48 khz.

Last edited:
If it works with your old DAC it shows in my eyes that the DAC is the reason. Sometimes it happens that pieces do not fit. But no reason to blame the WiiM. Blaming the DAC would be also a possible.

Thanks a lot.
Yes, I did so but as result I onls see 44 khz in the Wiim App….with the Manunta (M2Tech) DAC TWO Plus.
With my older TMC electronic BNC-2 it works….with Master songs, with other songs from the Tidal Hifi+ connect only 44 or 48 khz.
DAC doesn't matter here. It can be disconnected, it can be switched off as the WiiM is not aware of it. It's one way communication from the streamer to the DAC.
Do you see 88.2 or 96 kHz in the WiiM app when one DAC is connected and you do see only 44.1 or 48 kHz when connected is another one? For the same content played? Can you post the WiiM app screenshots?

If it works with your old DAC it shows in my eyes that the DAC is the reason. Sometimes it happens that pieces do not fit. But no reason to blame the WiiM. Blaming the DAC would be also a possible.
…but it is correct that the DAC BMC-2 from tc electronic plays the Tidal Hifi+ “normal songs” with only 44-48 khz and only the master songs with 24/96 khz?

DAC doesn't matter here. It can be disconnected, it can be switched off as the WiiM is not aware of it. It's one way communication from the streamer to the DAC.
Do you see 88.2 or 96 kHz in the WiiM app when one DAC is connected and you do see only 44.1 or 48 kHz when connected is another one? For the same content played? Can you post the WiiM app screenshots?
Yes, I see with the older tc electronic DAC 88 or 96 khz and with the newer Manunta Evo Dac plus 44 or 48 khz with the same song playing.

Back