WiiM Remote

My remote just arrived. How do you open the battery compartment?!
YES, it was VERY HARD. You have to just slide it down somehow. Took me a bunch of tries! I put a small flat head screwdriver in the seam and gently pushed it down. Don't pry up, it slides off.

Thanks for the replies. I got it off in the end, but it was so hard to take off I was concerned that I was doing it wrong and that I'd brake the remote!

You just have to slide the back cover down as you would expect, but it's a lot harder than you'd think!

So far, so good with the remote. Quick postage from the US to Wales too :)

Open thoughts on the WiiM remote control (hence RC).
I thought for a long time about what the RC could be useful for, also mindful of my experience with the RC of the Topping D50s which, having made the first configuration which requires the RC for certain adjustments, ended up on the bottom of a drawer. Never used again.
That's why I came to this consideration. To listen to music I have to take Tablet/Phone>Launch a Streaming App>Select Album/Playlist/Song and start playing. So I already have an RC in hand, the Tablet/Phone.
What else is another RC for? What can I do with the WiiM's RC?
Switch Albums/Playlists if I get tired of listening to that music? NO for this you need the Tab/Tel
Skip to next track? YES, but I can also do it with the Tablet / Phone that I'm already using
Adjust volumes? YES, but I don't need it because I set the WiiMs with the fixed Vol
Change source (SPDIF - COAX)? YES, but since I use an external DAC I have to change the source on the DAC as well.
Put the WiiM in Standby? YES, but in WHA via the Standby Menu I can have automatic standby by setting a time of my choice when I press pause on the Tab/Tel.
Use the 4 Presets? YES, but from WHA I can use 12 presets.
For these reasons, even if it is not too expensive, it seems useless to me to spend 19.99$/18.94€ for an object with limited functions, which would collect dust on the table next to my armchair, or would end up keeping company with the Topping RC at the bottom of a drawer.

^^^^

So why bother with such a lengthy post? :unsure:

I use the remote every day, find it well worth the cost, as I’m sure others do also.

^^^^

I use the remote every day, find it well worth the cost, as I’m sure others do also.
When I first got my harmony hub to consolidate half a dozen remotes, I first tried using just the harmony app on an iPod Touch. Still wasn’t as convenient as a physical remote, so I got the harmony ultimate remote and haven’t touched the app since. Once you have music up and running, it’s just so much more easy to grab a remote to pause, skip, immediately switch to another preset etc rather than having to wake up your phone/tablet, find the app then scroll thru several screens to get the same result.

Now if WiiM would just get their remote on the Logitech Harmony database…

^^^^

"So why bother with such a lengthy post? :unsure:"
First of all try to be more polite, I haven't offended anyone.
Second, I think I'm free to express my opinion. Don't you share it? Patience, I'll get over it.
I too do not share many of the opinions that I read here, not for this reason whoever expresses them does not have the right to do so.

I thought for a long time about what the RC could be useful for, also mindful of my experience with the RC of the Topping D50s which, having made the first configuration which requires the RC for certain adjustments, ended up on the bottom of a drawer. Never used again.

What you say is the same as this.

"If I have a car, I don't need a bicycle."

Certainly, there will be people like that. Some don't. The world is made up of diverse needs.

Pointless argument.

What you say is the same as this.

"If I have a car, I don't need a bicycle."

Certainly, there will be people like that. Some don't. The world is made up of diverse needs.

Pointless argument.
:) Correct. It would be a very boring world a world where everyone thinks the same way.I believe that one opinion is as good as another,just because they are opinions.

That's why I came to this consideration. To listen to music I have to take Tablet/Phone>Launch a Streaming App>Select Album/Playlist/Song and start playing. So I already have an RC in hand, the Tablet/Phone.
What else is another RC for? What can I do with the WiiM's RC?
Switch Albums/Playlists if I get tired of listening to that music? NO for this you need the Tab/Tel
Skip to next track? YES, but I can also do it with the Tablet / Phone that I'm already using
Adjust volumes? YES, but I don't need it because I set the WiiMs with the fixed Vol
Change source (SPDIF - COAX)? YES, but since I use an external DAC I have to change the source on the DAC as well.
Put the WiiM in Standby? YES, but in WHA via the Standby Menu I can have automatic standby by setting a time of my choice when I press pause on the Tab/Tel.
Use the 4 Presets? YES, but from WHA I can use 12 presets.
For these reasons, even if it is not too expensive, it seems useless to me to spend 19.99$/18.94€ for an object with limited functions, which would collect dust on the table next to my armchair, or would end up keeping company with the Topping RC at the bottom of a drawer.
We have different requirements. For my personal convenience I want a single BT RC to control my WiiM, my power amp and my preamp/DAC. Can I use the WiiM RC for all these purposes? Not at all. But using a phone to control the WiiM is not convenient for me on a daily basis, so a custom solution with a BT remote is exactly what I needed.

We have different requirements. For my personal convenience I want a single BT RC to control my WiiM, my power amp and my preamp/DAC. Can I use the WiiM RC for all these purposes? Not at all. But using a phone to control the WiiM is not convenient for me on a daily basis, so a custom solution with a BT remote is exactly what I needed.
Agreed. As you say, everyone has different needs :)

When I first got my harmony hub to consolidate half a dozen remotes, I first tried using just the harmony app on an iPod Touch. Still wasn’t as convenient as a physical remote, so I got the harmony ultimate remote and haven’t touched the app since. Once you have music up and running, it’s just so much more easy to grab a remote to pause, skip, immediately switch to another preset etc rather than having to wake up your phone/tablet, find the app then scroll thru several screens to get the same result.

Now if WiiM would just get their remote on the Logitech Harmony database…
You can always add them yourself:)

After using the remote for a few days.

It is very attractive for its money.
The Wiim has outdone themselves by creating a remote that doesn't require aiming.
Rechargeable batteries can also be placed very well in it (the slots are not too narrow). I really hope that the batteries will last a long time.

I hope the Wiim will allow users to configure the RC a bit (the exception is the red button of course =D.
For example, I really like that at the maximum volume level there are only two very quiet hollow beeps that are not too noticeable, however, I would like to choose only one beep, but even better, I don't need those beeps at all, which only creates a pause in the playback.

Also, I expect when it will be possible to use 11,12,13 etc. because it increases the number of selected favorites. As far as I understand, Wiim is currently reworking its entire Favorites strategy which will be available at the end of this month.

Of course, I would like a lot (including improvements in the desktop version), but I think a lot about what I ask for, so I have very few requirements.

The WiiM remote does well what it's designed to do, but I would have preferred an IR remote so that I could program a learning remote to control my entire audio system. Or at least some programmable IR buttons for power, volume and input the way video streaming remotes work. It'd be OK if the WiiM remote fit one of the Sideclick adapters: https://www.sideclickremotes.com/collections/all

Also, eventually it would be nice if different functions could be selected for the number buttons, such as changing input.

Am I correct in assuming bit perfect playback is not possible when controlling volume with the remote?

Back