WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Those running a base Pro with an external high end DAC (higher end than anything mentioned here) will not pay $300 just for a USB out. There are other solutions and they are not those referred above.
The USB out would allow people to use a converter to I2S. Some DACs sound better through I2S. My setup with the Pro to an R2R DAC, I use the Coax cable which sounds better with my DAC than Optical. Unfortunately the Coax input is limited to 24/96 since it skips at 24/192 with my chain. That is why I'd like at least USB output so that I can either use that directly or convert it to an I2S output.

The USB out would allow people to use a converter to I2S. Some DACs sound better through I2S. My setup with the Pro to an R2R DAC, I use the Coax cable which sounds better with my DAC than Optical. Unfortunately the Coax input is limited to 24/96 since it skips at 24/192 with my chain. That is why I'd like at least USB output so that I can either use that directly or convert it to an I2S output.
192kHz via SPDIF coax works on the Pro. Try another cable or your DAC SPDIF coax input has an issue. It could be a coax cable impedance issue. You need a 50 Ohm cable. This cable works:

Mediabridge™ Ultra Series Digital Audio Coaxial Cable (4 Feet) - Dual Shielded with RCA to RCA Gold-Plated Connectors - Black - (Part# CJ04-6BR-G2) https://a.co/d/cyv4ogk

192kHz via SPDIF coax works on the Pro. Try another cable or your DAC SPDIF coax input has an issue. It could be a coax cable impedance issue. You need a 50 Ohm cable.
Yeah, you are right, unfortunately all that you suggested didn't work. I tried a DDC from USB to Coax and it worked perfectly with my DAC at 24/192. ??? I don't know why, but 24/192 just doesn't work straight out of the WiiM Pro on Coax with my system.

At some point it may be better to skip the-all-in-one box and use software and an old computer or Raspberry Pi to stream.
That's what I've done. All-in-ones can be useful for those who don't like (or have the inclination) messing around with RPis, HaTs and software. And a user's particular use-case. I have several standalone DACs with USB-In capability, but all my streamers center around the RPi, or similar SBCs that I have built. However, they also include all manner of support hardware from; linear PSUs, ultra-caps, LifeP04 batteries, FiFO boards, clocks, and much more. Of course, roon is the backbone of my digital ecosystem as well. :)

You do not act like one given your suggestion for a price point that only makes sense to a stockholder. :)
Please do remember that everyone's wallet/disposable income is at least a little (or more) different. One need not be a shareholder to have an opinion different of yours as to appropriate price points.

Please do remember that everyone's wallet/disposable income is at least a little (or more) different. One need not be a shareholder to have an opinion different of yours as to appropriate price points.
But of course.

it is inevitable that if you add a screen, a metal case, three more outputs and an internal power supply you add at least $200.

it is inevitable that if you add a screen, a metal case, three more outputs and an internal power supply you add at least $200.

I’m not sure that stacks up. The WiiM Amp is £299 and has all those.

If the WiiM Amp was only all those things you listed with a WiiM Mini inside it’d be £280, and that’s without the amplification stage.

If we’re guessing at price (and why not, while we wait), I posted this elsewhere.

This is lining up to be sort of a cross between:

- The Pro Plus
- A pre-amp version of a WiiM Amp (a WiiM Amp without the amplification stage)
- Other streamers with a display
- A few more inputs and outputs to cover everything

Now if you think of the Pro Plus, that’s UK £220. The Amp is UK £300, let’s say that’s £100-£150 for the amplification, £150-£200 for everything before. Extra ins and outs? I know that when companies have added balanced outputs to existing products it’s risen by maybe £50.

So we’re looking at £250-£300 + the price of the screen.

You can get an iPhone 11 screen in the UK (if you’re prepared to change it yourself) for £100.

So £400 looks good. A better DAC could make it £500.

As I say, just my guess. If there are specs on it which bump the price up, obviously that’s different.

If we’re guessing at price (and why not, while we wait), I posted this elsewhere.

This is lining up to be sort of a cross between:

- The Pro Plus
- A pre-amp version of a WiiM Amp (a WiiM Amp without the amplification stage)
- Other streamers with a display
- A few more inputs and outputs to cover everything

Now if you think of the Pro Plus, that’s UK £220. The Amp is UK £300, let’s say that’s £100-£150 for the amplification, £150-£200 for everything before. Extra ins and outs? I know that when companies have added balanced outputs to existing products it’s risen by maybe £50.

So we’re looking at £250-£300 + the price of the screen.

You can get an iPhone 11 screen in the UK (if you’re prepared to change it yourself) for £100.

So £400 looks good. A better DAC could make it £500.

As I say, just my guess. If there are specs on it which bump the price up, obviously that’s different.
I am not spending that kind of money on a streamer. An 80 dollar Mini is bit perfect.

I am not spending that kind of money on a streamer. An 80 dollar Mini is bit perfect.

To an extent I agree.

However, a device with more PEQ bands, great room correction, and more options for inputs and outputs (including subwoofers) would be welcome.

I know they’re trying to bring much of this to the Mini, but I’m unsure just how easy it will be to implement, especially given the fact that it was never built to handle that much.

If it can, then great. If it can turn out that it has more than enough processing power to handle great, AV receiver levels of room EQ, 10 bands of PEQ, and output post-crossover bass managed higher frequencies out through digital optical to a DAC, and low frequency to a sub, all without compromise, then I’m definitely up for that.

I’m just yet to be convinced that it’ll be possible, and I’ll believe it when I see it. But I’m not saying it’s impossible, and would be more than happy with it.

And I think this is the biggest risk - going upmarket but not far enough upmarket.

Meaning - I remain curious as to who the Ultra will serve best when they've built a following around those looking for affordable audio. Folks shopping for DAC/Streamers as new hobbyists or 2nd system buildings the Ultra is a strong top 3 consideration. Speculation on where an Ultra will fall pricewise figures the device to be the $ value leader in a crowded market.

For WiiM Mini/Pro owners who use the device's internal DAC, there will likely be enough of a story around the 'better' DAC (a lot to unpack around how better applies) and add-on functionality to get some to upgrade, if they haven't already bought the Pro+.

Going from a Pro+ (again, using internal DAC) to an Ultra is a tougher case to make for what I will assume to be many. They just plunked own $220 and my not be enthusiastically looking to dive back in for $350-$500 (guessing).

Anyone who uses Mini/Pro or Pro+ with a well-engineered external DAC costing $200-$500 may not see an Ultra as an option at all.

Anyone paring M/P/P+ with a $1,000+ DAC is more in the auido enthusiast market with different budgets and objectives. Some of this audience may not see another $350-$500 purchase to own the latest and score a few output options as a big deal. But I see that as a very small market relatively speaking.

So that's why I don't see WiiM releasing a $400+ device. They should want to stay quite affordable where they have their following. A $500-$600 device doesn't seem to pull through high quantities of their current user base looking at high value around $150. Nor does it compel the upmarket crowd (streamer only users) to see how they get $300 more value when their Mini/Pro does the trick. For upmarket folks, Ultra devices make sense as a one box replacement for separates. Definitely harder to convince that crowd.

That said, I buy and try.

The main difference, in respect of the above post, is that the Ultra will (presumably) have a subwoofer out, which the Mini, Pro and Pro Plus don’t.

Back