WiiM Amp

rel https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-za3-amplifier-review.52139/#post-1880316

Result is nice but I am a bit disappointed and worried about Wiims QA on this device. Amir stated that he had to get a replacement unit. We all know about the humming issue. Wiim said its only a few devices. Still, we had a lot of affected devices reported here in the forums. Even months later such devices where shipped out to reviewers (!) and now Amir's Wiim Amp also has some kind of issue. Frankly, this cannot be explained with some devices of the first batch(es) being faulty but rather with bad quality assurance. Wiim needs to improve on that. Even if it means that they have to increase the price. I received two units end of january and havent had time to check them. will report back if they have any issues. Just for comparison: I have multiple Minis and Pros and have never had any issues with them.

As far as I can tell, the issue was with early models. We know WiiM sent Amir a model early on; I think he said he discovered it had been sat round unopened for weeks before he realised.

We all know about the early issues. We all know they've been fixed. I don't see how someone finding they have an early version with said issues many weeks later, because they'd not opened it, is an issue.

I mean there was a problem and WiiM fixed it. Them not to fix it? Them to be perfect (clue - no one is)?

there were not only problems with whining noise that could be encountered..
invite you to reread onlyoneme's measurements on the first device he received...

As far as I can tell, the issue was with early models. We know WiiM sent Amir a model early on; I think he said he discovered it had been sat round unopened for weeks before he realised.

We all know about the early issues. We all know they've been fixed. I don't see how someone finding they have an early version with said issues many weeks later, because they'd not opened it, is an issue.

I mean there was a problem and WiiM fixed it. Them not to fix it? Them to be perfect (clue - no one is)?
it remains to be verified but in fact it is probably a series from the end of November that it was just late to test..
this has already been the case with the pro "plus"

we are not talking here in these "classification" tests of "sinad"..but just of sinad at only.. 1khz

it remains to be verified but in fact it is probably a series from the end of November that it was just late to test..
this has already been the case with the pro "plus"

we are not talking here in these "classification" tests of "sinad"..but just of sinad at only.. 1khz

When Amir's full review appears, it'll show more than just that. He usually does multi-tone tests, too.

When Amir's full review appears, it'll show more than just that. He usually does multi-tone tests, too.
i know..ap32..
but here classification so """important for many people""" is just sinad at 1khz..
it's easy to do...
easy to "classify"..
easy to read
but many people don't understand its limits..
(AP32 also has its limits)

it's idiotic...
because of its simplicity to be used to "classify", it's the most idiotic-limited of these tests which ended up being put forward..
;-))

Last edited:
I see the WiiM Amp was measured by Amir over at ASR and got a SINAD of 88 - No review yet but it's coming soon - it's in his chart now and when asked the review was delayed as he got a second unit.

But basically with this SINAD score - it is in line with the Fosi Audio V3 and the ZA3

View attachment 5075

Better than a NAD C268 power amp costing $900.

Better than a Lexicon DD8 costing $3,500 (though that's list prove, you can get it cheaper, and it's 8 channels).

Nothing wrong with asr review but for general consumer shopping for gear doesn’t look at spec instead they want to know how it sound. It’s simple question do you like what you hear? You can have 500 sinad but your ear can’t tell difference between 250 and 500. If human ear is like measurement then you want high as possible.

Sorry, but nobody can tell you "how gear sounds" to your ears in your own home. The whole concept simply doesn't work. Floyd E. Toole is absolutely right about the "circle of confusion".

Also, independent measurements are not "specs". They are necessary to prove if a product lives up to its claimed specs.

Still, no single measurement (or single value metric made up from a couple of measurements) can ever be sufficient to predict a component's perceived sound. To that I can agree.

Sorry, but nobody can tell you "how gear sounds" to your ears in your own home. The whole concept simply doesn't work. Floyd E. Toole is absolutely right about the "circle of confusion".

Also, independent measurements are not "specs". They are necessary to prove if a product lives up to its claimed specs.

Still, no single measurement (or single value metric made up from a couple of measurements) can ever be sufficient to predict a component's perceived sound. To that I can agree.
Very good measurements don't imply good music but very bad ones often imply bad music, just to make it very very short :cool:

Very good measurements don't imply good music but very bad ones often imply bad music, just to make it very very short :cool:
enthusiasts using tube or vinyl do not reach your conclusion..
see entire generations of music lovers.. ( or professionnal musiciens who often care little about all this for their own use,and smiles kindly at all these considerations etc) ;-)

Last edited:
enthusiasts using tube or vinyl do not reach your conclusion..
see entire generations of music lovers.. ( or professionnal musiciens who often care little about all this for their own use,and smiles kindly at all these considerations etc) ;-)
"Tube or vinyl" don't imply very bad measurements

serious? ;-))
we are far from the considerations of orders of magnitude that we come across in the discussions here...
Serious, but not too much. :)
I mean, as long as the discussion stays in the domain of numbers and measurements every difference is meaningful, simply because it exists.
Shifting in the domain of real sound perception most of the differences we talk about are just meaningless. To imply a real and systematically reproducible impact on sound, the measurement should be enormously different from than the ones we come across here. Whether the consequent result is bad or not is just a matter of taste.

So I purchase a dac based on measurements on asr with one of the highest sinad ranking they have on the list plus other measurements came out top not notch. Where is this dac now? It’s in the garage collecting dust. This just me, I like getting a feedback from subjective review because they use their ear instead solely on measurements. I watch darko, cheap audio man and Andrew Robinson reviews. I will surely get criticized on this but that’s just me.

you are wrong..
these Chinese dacs with racing mesureaments can become remarkable audio generators at really cheap prices...a godsend... (true)
;-)
hihi
Post in thread 'WiiM Amp' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-amp.1322/post-39822
factual...
and for mesureaments..that s factual too...

my remarks give you no idea of my feelings on these subjects...I just pointed out the facts...

Last edited:
you are wrong..
these Chinese dacs with racing mesureaments can become remarkable audio generators at really cheap prices...a godsend... (true)
;-)
hihi
Post in thread 'WiiM Amp' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-amp.1322/post-39822
factual...
and for mesureaments..that s factual too...

my remarks give you no idea of my feelings on these subjects...I just pointed out the facts...
You are right but @Smartplug is right as well, IMHO. It's just a different scenario. If I wanted to buy my first DAC I would check the functional requirements and then I would go to ASR and see which is the best alternative based on measurement. But if I wanted to replace my already decent DAC I would not base my decision on few dB of SINAD of improvement as I would never even hear them.

When I listen to streaming music, the volume level is <40% and is plenty loud.
Attached HDMI arc to LG tv and the volume level on the amp has to be >80% to reach the same sound level.
The amps output volume changes with the tv volume level, so I don't seem to be able to raise the TV output independently to increase the gain.
I tried optical as well with same low level output requiring high volume setting on the amp.
Haven't found a tv setting that will output HDMI arc and let me raise the volume of the tv independently.
Is this the way it is, or have I missed a step?

Back