WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
If it can connect directly to a power amp and adjust volume then yes it's a (digitial) preamp.

Adjust volume, tone, balance, and select inputs. 👍

I mean that’s pretty much the totality of what any pre amp does.

Lots of digital pre amps out there control volume in the digital domain.

So just like the Pro & Pro Plus then. Does anyone actually connect these directly to power amp (with no volume control) ?

It’s just my feeling, and we can quibble over terms, etc., but I think the physical volume control is what makes it a preamp, in comparison to the Mini, Pro or Pro Plus.

I’m not sure I’d want to have a set up (source straight into power amp) where there was no physical volume control.

Here’s the kicker. WiiM specifically say in the other streamers to leave volume at full for bit perfect. They don’t for the Amp - can’t really, as it’d just meaning leaving it full power constantly.

I wonder what they’ll say for the Ultra.

So just like the Pro & Pro Plus then. Does anyone actually connect these directly to power amp (with no volume control) ?
Yes. I used to have a topping D70 Pro DAC in between but recently realised I couldn't hear the difference vs using the Pro Plus output directly into the amp so I took it out and will sell it :)

I also have the TV going to the pro plus optical in and the turntable to the analog in (via a Schiit Mani). So I pretty much use it as a preamp.

The power amp is an Apollon NCx500 Stereo (which I am *very* happy with btw).

Pro Plus output directly into the amp
Are you worried about bumping the WiiM app volume to max 😬or it being non bit-perfect (losing bits)?
Would be nice if they gave the option for an up/down or dial volume control.

Are you worried about bumping the WiiM app volume to max 😬or it being non bit-perfect (losing bits)?
Not really, it hasn't been a big issue. With the amp gain at 20db and the pro plus output at 2V, it would get quite loud but wouldn't kill my speakers.

For volume control I use the WiiM remote.

But the Ultra will fit nicely as a replacement for the pro plus in my setup I think

Yes. I used to have a topping D70 Pro DAC in between but recently realised I couldn't hear the difference vs using the Pro Plus output directly into the amp so I took it out and will sell it :)

I also have the TV going to the pro plus optical in and the turntable to the analog in (via a Schiit Mani). So I pretty much use it as a preamp.

The power amp is an Apollon NCx500 Stereo (which I am *very* happy with btw).
The Apollon looks like a beast, what speakers are you driving with it?

You can set a safe max volume level as well, just in case.

Back