WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I don't think a small screen is a problem, as long as the information displayed is displayed in such a way that it's readable across the room.

It will also limit the size of the unit, which I think is a good decision, especially for those that don't want a screen at all.

The issue is that the Ultra necessarily contains a DAC. Saying we shouldn’t be discussing that is like saying let’s get back to talking about this new car, I’m fed up with all the talk about the engine.

Obviously, we can’t be 100% sure as to the standard of the DAC. But WiiM’s Pro Plus measures as transparent, and that didn’t happen by accident. They clearly engineered it that way, and know what they’re doing. So when they say the DAC in the Ultra is better that in the Pro Plus, I find it difficult to believe it won’t be excellent.

By the way, please remember this. People have been clamouring for some time for a DAC with PEQ, a sub out and bass management. Even without the streaming capabilities, the Ultra looks like it will be an incredibly well-featured DAC, which is impressive in itself. If Topping or SMSL had released a DAC with all the features of the Ultra, there’d be a huge noise about it.
I have a Pro Plus with a bryston bha-1, and it's the best sounding headphone system I've had to date, that's why I'm not concerned about a new dac unless it's ESS, which I don't want.
And more PEQ and room correction are the reasons I'm very interested in the Ultra, to use with the end game 2 channel stereo I'm building.
It's a thread about the Ultra, so of course I want to hear lots of info about it, but from Wiim, not random people guessing or arguing about something that is already in production and too late to change for this model.
I'm 48 and have been in this hobby for 30 years, the last 10 much more so. I've had many systems of each, headphone, stereo, and surround. I have already done lots of research and experimenting with all 3, and have owned and heard many very nice systems. As well as learned and used a few room correction systems over the last 7 years.
I have a whole lot of time invested in this hobby(too much), so no offense to some here, but it's like kids arguing about grade 2 material if you're in grade 8.

Last edited:
WiiM will release more info nearer to release time I'm sure - revealing too much just now would dampen the official announcement at the Munich Show. I'd also guess they'll not release much info to beta testers who will likely be subject to an NDA anyway - when I got an early Pro Plus to test, they wouldn't even tell me which DAC it had in case it clouded my judgement.

While WiiM will from time to time dispense little nuggets of information here, this community forum is for user discussion and support and like any forum, discussions can be robust - and like all conversations won't necessarily always remain on track. You can always just search for comments from the WiiM Team or WiiM Support if you want to separate the wheat from the chaff ;)

WiiM will release more info nearer to release time I'm sure - revealing too much just now would dampen the official announcement at the Munich Show. I'd also guess they'll not release much info to beta testers who will likely be subject to an NDA anyway - when I got an early Pro Plus to test, they wouldn't even tell me which DAC it had in case it clouded my judgement.

While WiiM will from time to time dispense little nuggets of information here, this community forum is for user discussion and support and like any forum, discussions can be robust - and like all conversations won't necessarily always remain on track. You can always just search for comments from the WiiM Team or WiiM Support if you want to separate the wheat from the chaff ;)
And from time to time diamonds can be hidden in chaff ;-)
Announcements from manufacturers in my world are called either advertising or damage reduction.

And from time to time diamonds can be hidden in chaff ;-)
Announcements from manufacturers in my world are called either advertising or damage reduction.
Very rarely do diamonds come from anyone else's posts. The manufacturer will be the one to tell you about the specs accurately, which is what I want to know.
You don't need to fall for Advertising or gimmicks if you don't want to.
It's only 2 weeks to wait, so I don't really need to come on here anymore. I already know what I'll buy if the Ultra doesn't suit me, and several have already made their requests for future products.
Maybe I'll be interested in one of those instead.
Your time is valuable, don't spend it here arguing about nonsense. ✌

Very rarely do diamonds come from anyone else's posts.

That rather denigrates a lot of good info that members do impart, particularly those who have taken the time to rigorously test previous devices like the Pro Plus and Amp to WiiM's ultimate benefit, but if that's your opinion, then so be it.

Your time is valuable, don't spend it here arguing about nonsense. ✌

That's everyone's personal choice, as is your choice not to participate further in discussions.

Hopefully the information you seek will eventually become available after release.

Does anyone have any speculation on what the second product being launch at the show might be? From a commercial angle, I keep coming back to a power amp to complement the line up and pair nicely with the Ultra, it would fill a gap and capitalise on offering a broader WiiM ecosystem.

Other thought is a WiiM speaker.... this could really make Sonos, Apple etc... but this would be off topic being the Ultra forum

Does anyone have any speculation on what the second product being launch at the show might be? From a commercial angle, I keep coming back to a power amp to complement the line up and pair nicely with the Ultra, it would fill a gap and capitalise on offering a broader WiiM ecosystem.

Other thought is a WiiM speaker.... this could really make Sonos, Apple etc... but this would be off topic being the Ultra forum

I’ve just started a separate thread to discuss this very thing.

See here and subsequent comments

Given it was mooted way back last September for the custom installation market and there's not been a sniff of anything else, my money is on the 110W version of the Amp - it wouldn't take a lot more R&D or design from the bottom up, so in effect could have been waiting in the wings all this time.

See here and subsequent comments

Given it was mooted way back last September for the custom installation market and there's not been a sniff of anything else, my money is on the 110W version of the Amp - it wouldn't take a lot more R&D or design from the bottom up, so in effect could have been waiting in the wings all this time.

How come I’ve not seen that before?

Many thanks.

I don't think a small screen is a problem, as long as the information displayed is displayed in such a way that it's readable across the room.

It will also limit the size of the unit, which I think is a good decision, especially for those that don't want a screen at all.
Place a typical smartphone at over 6ft/2m away from you and all you'll see is a colourful album cover with little detail. The screen itself is not the problem, but how people use it in practice. 🤔

Place a typical smartphone at over 6ft/2m away from you and all you'll see is a colourful album cover with little detail. The screen itself is not the problem, but how people use it in practice. 🤔
Place the same smartphone with an image of a white letter, the size of the screen, on a black background, and most people should be able to make it out clearly.

So scrolling text with the name of the song, or other info.
A digital clock.
Etc.
Many things it could be used for that would be visible at a distance.

Both the DMP-A6 and the Ultra have the features that I want for my desktop system. When the Ultra comes out, I'll buy one or the other, mainly depending on price.

Both the DMP-A6 and the Ultra have the features that I want for my desktop system. When the Ultra comes out, I'll buy one or the other, mainly depending on price.
Wiim have kind of suggested it will be between £350-£450, but likelihood is it will be the lower figure.

Place the same smartphone with an image of a white letter, the size of the screen, on a black background, and most people should be able to make it out clearly.

So scrolling text with the name of the song, or other info.
A digital clock.
Etc.
Many things it could be used for that would be visible at a distance.
One letter the size of a 3.5 inch screen is hardly going to be useful! 😋 And 300 plus for a digital clock... well, really😁⏰🕒!?

I think most users want a Now Playing display. For practical viewing, a screen larger than 6-7 inches is appropriate at a distance of 6ft/2m.

I've got a FiiO R7 - screen looks pretty but it's hardly practical.

Back