Wiim Amp bookshelf speakers

paoloco

I'm considering to replace my vintage speaker, please can you suggest me some model ? I usually listen pop music and I would like to improve the sound clearness and I have preference for bass & treble sound. I have seen in other thread that there is a very good feedback for KEF product, any other experience ? My Budget is around 500/700 Euro. Thanks

My opinion is that no bookshelf speaker handles bass very well. A subwoofer is needed. I have the opinion that once you alleviate the responsibility of low lows from a bookshelf speaker the mid-range sound is allowed to shine.

@paoloco , what exactly are your vintage speakers?

KEF R3 (Meta) are simply exquisite speakers, but as @DRC pointed out, not exactly within your budget. Generally speaking it's a good idea to go with the most neutral speakers available within your budget. If you know already that you are after a certain sound (emphasis on bass and treble) it makes sense to apply your custom EQ on top of that.

It could also make a lot of sense searching for high quality small speakers accompanied by a capable subwoofer. Traditionally, subwoofers have been associated with home cinema systems and integration with 2 channel audio systems has been described as "difficult". Not anymore. There are (few) devices like the WiiM Amp providing proper high-pass filtering to the main speakers when adding a sub. Results can be stunning.

My personal recommendation would be to pick a sensible subwoofer (with LFE input) first and than add a smallish (possibly made by KEF) set of main speakers. If you feel like you need to add bass and/or treble enforcement, do so by means of the amplifier's EQ settings.

Last edited:
What would help me is to understand your current speaker setup, location and what is powering it. Based on some of the threads of the members and elsewhere where their speakers are shoved in a corner and obstructed by some sort of furniture or tucked within literal book shelf or poorly spaced. No amount of high quality speakers will alleviate bad placements and room attenuation.

Amir from ASR said in some review, if you put your speakers in some cavity of a cupboard, that you should put some books left and right to it to minimize the effect of the cavity.

I think the DBR62 would be a good choice. They not only fit the budget but have a front-facing Bass-port which reduce problems with placement.

I'm considering to replace my vintage speaker, please can you suggest me some model ? I usually listen pop music and I would like to improve the sound clearness and I have preference for bass & treble sound. I have seen in other thread that there is a very good feedback for KEF product, any other experience ? My Budget is around 500/700 Euro. Thanks

So one very well-reviewed speaker is the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1. See here:

Note that Amir compared these very favourably indeed with the Revel M16 - a £1,000 speaker which he loves.

This would leave you with some change, maybe for a subwoofer.

I'm using the WiiM Amp with a pair of Triangle BR03's.

I think the sound is quite good for the 700€ cost; but mids could be a bit more pronounced. I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of bass given that they're bookshelf speakers, but I understand most would opt for a subwoofer, but this could be added later.

I also added the Triangle S02 stands for another 100€.

I think the DBR62 would be a good choice. They not only fit the budget but have a front-facing Bass-port which reduce problems with placement.
My WiiM AMP is driving a pair of DBR62’s in my home office and I can confirm to “my aging ears” this combo sounds very good (at a very reasonable price point).

Hi. Considering the price range i suggest Heco Aurora 300. A quick search on youtube will give you lots of reviews and everybody is really impressed with the sound quality and how low they can go. Also they have a sensitivity of 90 db , so really easy to drive. With the wiim amp , in a room that is very high (5 meters) and a big open space this make all the walls shake.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-01 at 18.32.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-01 at 18.32.56.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 39
You should try standfloor speakers, can go very low (30-40Hz). I use wiim amp with Polk Audio ES55 and sounds great.

Dali Oberon 3

Hi. Considering the price range i suggest Heco Aurora 300. A quick search on youtube will give you lots of reviews and everybody is really impressed with the sound quality and how low they can go. Also they have a sensitivity of 90 db , so really easy to drive. With the wiim amp , in a room that is very high (5 meters) and a big open space this make all the walls shake.
Have you tried these speakers yourself? How does the amplifier reveal them? I wanted to buy them for this amplifier. But I was told that he might not pull them and it's better to take Dali

Back