WiiM Amp

Is it really the processor doing (P)EQ in all current WiiM devices? No dedicated DSP? That surprises me a bit, I must say.

Is it really the processor doing (P)EQ in all current WiiM devices? No dedicated DSP? That surprises me a bit, I must say.

I couldn’t say definitively.

But there have been teardowns on all the streamers, not to mention the amp, and I’ve not heard anyone say “Hey! What’s this dsp chip doing in here?”

I’m not sure a dsp chip wouldn’t be overkill.

Let me explain. If we’re talking about PEQ, I suspect that part of dsp is fairly low maintenance. I mean there’s a 4 band PEQ been added to the Mini retrospectively, and that’s a £90 puck.

I suspect the big drain on processing power is the measurement and computing what needs to be done to correct things.

As I’ve said previously, my guess is that this will be done in your phone, which has more processing power than £1,000+ AV amps.

I mean, the HouseCurve app costs <£10.

I’m not sure a dsp chip wouldn’t be overkill.

Let me explain. If we’re talking about PEQ, I suspect that part of dsp is fairly low maintenance. I mean there’s a 4 band PEQ been added to the Mini retrospectively, and that’s a £90 puck.

I suspect the big drain on processing power is the measurement and computing what needs to be done to correct things.

As I’ve said previously, my guess is that this will be done in your phone, which has more processing power than £1,000+ AV amps.

I mean, the HouseCurve app costs <£10.
Amlogic a113x in wiim amp is quite capable

if at first, at the beginning of autumn 22, wiim announced a 10band peq, they quickly, during this autumn 22, announced that the peq could only be a 4 band for the mini due to lack of power-memory , but 10 bands for the pro, and was initially supposed to be in January...23... ( finaly in september 23, but 4 bands for mini pro and plus)

Amlogic a113x in wiim amp is quite capable
So at least the WiiM Amp does come with a dedicated, separate DSP chip, indeed? Thanks for the information.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Digital filters are not set-it-and-forget-it like analog filters. They consist of algorithms executed in real-time. The more complex the filter operations, the greater the risk that a general purpose CPU might not cut it anymore.

if at first, at the beginning of autumn 22, wiim announced a 10band peq, they quickly, during this autumn 22, announced that the peq could only be a 4 band for the mini due to lack of power-memory , but 10 bands for the pro, and was initially supposed to be in January...23... ( finaly in september 23, but 4 bands for mini pro and plus)

Would you care to provide a link?

Would you care to provide a link?
That’s pretty much my recollection too. It was either mentioned in this forum or in the very lengthy WiiM threads on AudioScienceReview. To be fair, it has swung back and forth since it was first mooted and as usual with WiiM, it’s best to wait till something is actually implemented as I’m sure they’ll admit themselves that they can sometimes be over optimistic in striving to please their customer base. User patience is a necessary virtue as well ;)

I have auto sensing off, but the input switches if I'm listening to line in and then turn on my TV (HDMI). Is there a way to really disable automatically switching inputs?

I have auto sensing off, but the input switches if I'm listening to line in and then turn on my TV (HDMI). Is there a way to really disable automatically switching inputs?
You may need to turn off autosensing for the optical input.

I got an app update yesterday which announced a switch for activating/deactivating CEC for HDMI with an upcoming firmware update.

Since updating the Amp to the latest firmware 5.0.606744 of 2024/02/05, I cannot see my USB drive, which was previously visible, and had around 15,000 songs. The USB is formatted NTFS.

Has there been some change to how the USB is handled?

Since updating the Amp to the latest firmware 5.0.606744 of 2024/02/05, I cannot see my USB drive, which was previously visible, and had around 15,000 songs. The USB is formatted NTFS.

Has there been some change to how the USB is handled?
Wiim amp usb troubles, and wiim updates to rectify such issues, have been a hot topic recently!
Do you have the most up to date app too?

Wiim amp usb troubles, and wiim updates to rectify such issues, have been a hot topic recently!
Do you have the most up to date app too?
Yes, I read through a lot of those topics! My iOS app version is latest 2.8.6.

I see the WiiM Amp was measured by Amir over at ASR and got a SINAD of 88 - No review yet but it's coming soon - it's in his chart now and when asked the review was delayed as he got a second unit.

But basically with this SINAD score - it is in line with the Fosi Audio V3 and the ZA3

1707648763869.png

I see the WiiM Amp was measured by Amir over at ASR and got a SINAD of 88 - No review yet but it's coming soon - it's in his chart now and when asked the review was delayed as he got a second unit.

But basically with this SINAD score - it is in line with the Fosi Audio V3 and the ZA3
rel https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-za3-amplifier-review.52139/#post-1880316

Result is nice but I am a bit disappointed and worried about Wiims QA on this device. Amir stated that he had to get a replacement unit. We all know about the humming issue. Wiim said its only a few devices. Still, we had a lot of affected devices reported here in the forums. Even months later such devices where shipped out to reviewers (!) and now Amir's Wiim Amp also has some kind of issue. Frankly, this cannot be explained with some devices of the first batch(es) being faulty but rather with bad quality assurance. Wiim needs to improve on that. Even if it means that they have to increase the price. I received two units end of january and havent had time to check them. will report back if they have any issues. Just for comparison: I have multiple Minis and Pros and have never had any issues with them.

rel https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...udio-za3-amplifier-review.52139/#post-1880316

Result is nice but I am a bit disappointed and worried about Wiims QA on this device. Amir stated that he had to get a replacement unit. We all know about the humming issue. Wiim said its only a few devices. Still, we had a lot of affected devices reported here in the forums. Even months later such devices where shipped out to reviewers (!) and now Amir's Wiim Amp also has some kind of issue. Frankly, this cannot be explained with some devices of the first batch(es) being faulty but rather with bad quality assurance. Wiim needs to improve on that. Even if it means that they have to increase the price. I received two units end of january and havent had time to check them. will report back if they have any issues. Just for comparison: I have multiple Minis and Pros and have never had any issues with them.
Not disputing what you say, but it may also be said that people only came to the forums if they had a problem, or learned about the issue on forums so were hyper vigilant when they got theirs. As I've said in relation to the WiiM Ultra, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer to come to market if WiiM improve their QA processes to avoid the early version issues they had with the Amp and to a lesser degree the Pro Plus

The kind of coil whine experiences on the Wiim Amp is quite typical in the PC/GPU market. There's a lot of posts about it. I'm no expert, but basically how they explain it, it is physical vibration that causes the whine. The easy fix is to apply some kind of insulation in the form of glue or nail polish on the affected coils.
While for the end users it can be annoying, I think it's good to understand the cause and therefore the scope or magnitude of the issue. I am not saying it's not an issue, nor that my theory is even correct. But if it is in coil whine that's causing the humm, then it might be quite easy fix in the assembly line, and wouldn't necessarily be a sign of significant QA issues.

Back