Room Correction Beta firmware for WiiM Pro, Pro Plus and Amp - User Testing Experience

Brantome

This thread is for discussing your personal experience testing the Room Correction feature that was introduced with v4.8.611162 for the WiiM Pro, v5.0.611253 for the WiiM Amp, v4.8.611251 for the WiiM Pro Plus and any related later beta versions.

If you feel you have encountered a bug, please report it as usual thru the settings/ feedback section of the WiiM Home app, perhaps titling it “Room Correction Beta - <issue>” so it can be swiftly identified and dealt with.

Comments not related to actual use of the beta are probably best posted in a separate thread. Thanks

Last edited:
From the email WiiM will have sent beta testers:

“Your Opinion Matters:
We are currently evaluating whether to keep Room Correction and EQ as combined features or to separate them entirely. Your feedback is crucial to us in this decision-making process. We would greatly appreciate it if you could share your thoughts on which option would better suit your needs and why.

To aid in your evaluation, here are the specifications of our Room Correction feature:

1. Filter Type: 10-band Parametric EQ
2. Frequency Range: 50Hz to 10kHz
3. Gain Range: -12db to +12db
4. Q Range: 0.1 to 20.0

Your insights and preferences are invaluable to us as we strive to provide the best possible experience with our products. Please feel free to reach out with your thoughts or any additional questions you may have.

Thank you for your continued support and for being a part of our community.”

It also notes that “Kindly note that the room correction feature is currently supported exclusively through the WiiM Home app on iOS devices” and a link is provided to download a beta iOS WiiM Home app thru the iOS TestFlight app viz.
“Beta iOS app: https://testflight.apple.com/join/cfHEkT4g (For guidance on installing the beta app via the TestFlight public link, please refer to this article.)

** Please do NOT download this beta app unless you have the beta firmware **

The room correction feature can be accessed through 'Device Settings' by selecting the 'Room Correction' option.”

Last edited:
Are you able to share any screenshots?
Also, can you shed any more light on the room correction procedure? Does it use your phone mic, measure at fixed position(s) etc?

After uploading my Pro and Amp to the beta firmware, and downloading the beta iOS WiiM Home app yesterday, I quickly ran thru using the Room Correction (let’s call it RC or REQ from now on as I keep mistyping it as RooM or Roon ;) ) feature which appears as an entry under device settings. I’ll hopefully expand on these comments later, but the headlines are as below:

1. Selecting Room Correction under device settings steps you thru a four step “Welcome to Room Correction” process: 1/4 Stay Quiet, 2/4 Calibrating where a frequency sweep is performed, 3/4 Analysing which it warns may take up to a minute but for me was much less, and 4/4 Success! where it shows the resulting graph and from where you can display the 10 PEQ values it applies.

** 2. The process uses your iOS device microphone(s) and in this initial version doesn’t offer the use of an external mic. The process feels very much like a simpler version of the HouseCurve app.

** 3. The target curve appears to be flat with (as yet) no option to choose your own.

** 4. Once you apply the correction, there’s no indication in the app that you have done so other than EQ and PEQ both being toggled off - if you choose RC again, it steps you thru the process again. It would be better if the app showed that RC was in force either on that settings page as “ON” or “Setup”, or perhaps as a third tab on the EQ page alongside EQ and PEQ, with a RC tab showing the graph and PEQ settings that have been applied, or a setup button if it hasn’t. That page could also highlight in bold or a colour which of EQ, PEQ or RC was in force.

** 5. There’s no option to save or manually tweak the generated RC PEQ values. I’m in two minds though at the moment whether that would be useful.

** 6. In stage 4 where it shows the graph, the image doesn’t exploit the screen estate it has and appears too small, with the graph legend so small as to be illegible. You can select the graph and it goes almost full screen, but that version doesn’t show the legend at all.

7. I’m perhaps not we’ll enough versed to comment, but there are places where the results curve appears it could have done better - I don’t know if it’s entirely reasonable to expect it to be exactly flat as the target. Here’s one of my results for example:

IMG_8652.jpg

Think that’ll do for starters - I’d say a solid first attempt…

Edit: added ** to highlight potential areas for improvement

Last edited:
Are you able to share any screenshots?
Also, can you shed any more light on the room correction procedure? Does it use your phone mic, measure at fixed position(s) etc?
** In this very first version, it’s iOS only, phone/iPad mic and single position, but is very simple to run. That’s not to say that that won’t change depending on user testing and feedback. I guess they also need to strike a balance between ease of use and the bamboozlement users can get (including me) when faced with the relative complexities of the HouseCurve and similar apps.

** potential area for improvement

Last edited:
Here’s a set of resulting PEQ values (it might correspond to the graph above or not…). I’m unsure whether the LS entry at no. 2 should appear after the first PK entry, but again I’m not sufficiently well versed to comment

IMG_8653.jpg

Even though RC uses 10 bands, the non-RC PEQ settings page in the app still only shows 4 - I don’t know if that will be changed to match the 10 available for RC.

** It would also be useful if it offered the option to cap the volume limit based on its RC results to guard against digital clipping, as has been noted elsewhere in the forum can be done in REW

** potential area for improvement

Last edited:
@Brantome,
Thank you for the detailed explanation.😉

Looking at the graph, I feel that manual adjustments will be necessary in the future.
(I guess the 481hz dip needs to be turned off because I couldn't compensate for it.)

Also, adjusting the treble may be overkill.
What does the corrected sound sound like?

I regret it so much now. I should have bought an iPad in advance.😭😭😭

*This post will disappear after 1 day.😎

Edit :
By the way, using the phone's microphone was unexpected. Probably, I can use a USB mic.🤗

Who else got the beta? I applied but I haven’t got it yet.
Given the emails seem personalised to a degree in respect of using your name and identifying the devices you asked for the beta, I guess they’re manually working thru the list. I know of one other member as I personally got in touch with them about it. It’ll come soon I’m sure :)

@Brantome,
Thank you for the detailed explanation.😉

Looking at the graph, I feel that manual adjustments will be necessary in the future.
(I guess the 481hz dip needs to be turned off because I couldn't compensate for it.)

Also, adjusting the treble may be overkill.
What does the corrected sound sound like?

Haven’t done any focussed listening session as yet (I’ll need to play around with Linn’s Space Optimisation I have on my amp too), and given my blunted hearing I’m more likely to focus on functionality aspects tbh.

I regret it so much now. I should have bought an iPad in advance.😭😭😭

*This post will disappear after 1 day.😎

Yeah, it’s fortunate I have an iPad and not just my android phone and Fire HD tablet. Hopefully they can address Android users soon, although that might be thru the use of an external mic which again they currently don’t support.

Yeah, it’s fortunate I have an iPad and not just my android phone and Fire HD tablet. Hopefully they can address Android users soon, although that might be thru the use of an external mic which again they currently don’t support.
Do you have a microphone that sticks in the earphone jack?

Can you test what happens when you insert a microphone (or earphones with a microphone) into the 3.5mm jack of your iOS device?

Thank you.

Can you test what happens when you insert a microphone (or earphones with a microphone) into the 3.5mm jack of your iOS device?

Thank you.
Yeah, I have a Dayton IMM-6 which I used with HouseCurve. The WiiM Home app didn’t appear to recognise its presence.

Edit: even if it could, it would also need a function to load the calibration data. Again, no sign of that in this version.

Thank you.
iOS devices haven't had a 3.5mm jack for quite a number of years.

They will have to make 10-band PEQ available and adjustable manually for people with Daytons and UMIKs... connected to computers, not phones. Otherwise I'm going to be disappointed :(

I haven't received anything yet! Ah!!! Anyone tried with Android? I don't buy any Apple products haha.

They will have to make 10-band PEQ available and adjustable manually for people with Daytons and UMIKs... connected to computers, not phones. Otherwise I'm going to be disappointed :(
Yes, we plan to utilize Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology to extract filter settings from various sources such as House Curve and REW. Following this, we will convert these filter settings into a 10-band Parametric Equalizer (PEQ) format suitable for Room Correction purposes.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 122023.pngDid a quick RTA when i did my attempts. Blue is no filters. Green is my first attempt, but i held my phone with the mic towards my body and not towards the speakers. so it seems it misread the dip at 110hz and made it dip more. the second attempt (nr.5 Yellow) went better and the response was much flatter. not really touching the dip as it should but bringing down the peak at 80 hz. could bring it a bit less down but fine never the less. compared with a room correction i made in REW earlier it is pretty similar except the bass isnt brought down as much which makes sense since i use a different target curve. the issue i see at the moment is the mic spots a MASSIVE dip at 10khz or so and gives it a HS filter of +6.1db which as you can see in my measurements is wrong. i am no expert in acoustics or room correction just recently bought a UMIK-1 to try and learn REW. Exciting addition though! sounds okay except the harshness above 10khz and it could use a bit more bass. and i which i could change the curve a bit and maybe more than a single measurement would be helpful. also just adding the 10 band peq would be nice if you want to correct headphones. but this is room correction and it works kinda good. i used var smoothing just lmk if that is wrong to read the results again im a noob really at this

Back