WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
It’s just my feeling, and we can quibble over terms, etc., but I think the physical volume control is what makes it a preamp, in comparison to the Mini, Pro or Pro Plus.

I’m not sure I’d want to have a set up (source straight into power amp) where there was no physical volume control.

Here’s the kicker. WiiM specifically say in the other streamers to leave volume at full for bit perfect. They don’t for the Amp - can’t really, as it’d just meaning leaving it full power constantly.

I wonder what they’ll say for the Ultra.

I'd like to better understand how/why adjusting the volume on a Pro compromises the bit perfect aspect of the stream. Any additional info would be appreciated.

I'd like to better understand how/why adjusting the volume on a Pro compromises the bit perfect aspect of the stream. Any additional info would be appreciated.
The idea is that if you have let's say 24 bit of resolution and you digitally halve the volume, you divides all values by 2 and thus lose a bit of resolution. Whether that's audible in practice is.... debatable.

However from what WiiM said before I seem to remember they upsample to 32bit inside the DAC before applying the volume correction so I don't think you have any actual loss of accuracy here, but I may be wrong... And of course subjectivists will always 'hear' a difference 😉

I'm looking forward to the arrival of the WiiM Ultra, but the deciding factor for me to buy will be support for DSD playback (.dsf and .dff ...) including ISO image. I welcome USB that can be used via a USB hub as an ext. connection. HDD with music and at the same time USB audio output to ext. DAC. I have an ext. HDD a lot of Hi-Res music in a quality that is not available in this quality on streaming services and almost half of it is in DSD. So far I have to play this music through PC and Audirvana player, but I don't want to turn on PC just to listen. I really hope that the developers directed their efforts in this direction as well...!
Otherwise, I already have a Pro (transport to RME ADI2-DAC) and a Pro Plus on a NAD C320 amplifier at home, and I am extremely satisfied with both!

My apologies if this has already been covered but...

Will the phono stage be implemented in the digital domain or analogue? If digital then it might have the potential to be very good and the possibility of tweaks to allow it to provide other RIAA curves and gain settings etc, like the Parks Puffin/Waxwing stages?

Will the phono stage be implemented in the digital domain or analogue? If digital then it might have the potential to be very good and the possibility of tweaks to allow it to provide other RIAA curves and gain settings etc, like the Parks Puffin/Waxwing stages?
There's been no indication either way, just that it has phono inputs

The idea is that if you have let's say 24 bit of resolution and you digitally halve the volume, you divides all values by 2 and thus lose a bit of resolution. Whether that's audible in practice is.... debatable.

However from what WiiM said before I seem to remember they upsample to 32bit inside the DAC before applying the volume correction so I don't think you have any actual loss of accuracy here, but I may be wrong... And of course subjectivists will always 'hear' a difference 😉

Thanks for that insight. Reading a few other sources confirms it's a fairly complex topic in terms of what's audible.

I've noticed that keeping my external DAC at max volume and controlling the overall system volume via my WiiM Pro produces obvious, far better results than the other way around. Just trying to understand what makes that the better setup and how the 'bit-perfect' aspect is compromised.

Steering back to the Ultra, I'm now very curious if there are any planned improvements to the way it will deliver digital volume control.

Its getting funnier every day. One of the many camps questioning the phono calling it useless for a streamer. Others are asking if a below 500 € or equivalent device will have a phono stage even for MCs. And of course many options for setting up RIIA and gain. Losing reality?

Its getting funnier every day. One of the many camps questioning the phono calling it useless for a streamer. Others are asking if a below 500 € or equivalent device will have a phono stage even for MCs. And of course many options for setting up RIIA and gain. Losing reality?
Well, the advantage of processing in the digital domain could mean that some of these requests could be met later in firmware updates??

Well, the advantage of processing in the digital domain could mean that some of these requests could be met later in firmware updates??
Thanks, that was exactly my thought. Wiim have already shown that they can do pretty amazing stuff for a great price, hence we have hopeful expectations.

For me, I’d not have had a phono in in addition to the analogue RCA ins. I’d presume that (a) anyone with a turntable will probably have their own phone preamp (or built in preamp, if they’re in it for ease), so could use the standard RCA ins, and (b) there will be only a small few wanting both a turntable in, and a second analogue in.

But that’s just me.

Not necessarily - say I had a turntable and an existing amp with a perfectly competent phono stage (which I do and not just 'for ease'), and not a free standing phono preamp, and wanted to use room correction or PEQ along with the other streaming features WiiM have to offer. An Ultra would make sense there.

For me, I’d not have had a phono in in addition to the analogue RCA ins. I’d presume that (a) anyone with a turntable will probably have their own phone preamp (or built in preamp, if they’re in it for ease), so could use the standard RCA ins, and (b) there will be only a small few wanting both a turntable in, and a second analogue in.

But that’s just me.
Analog cd and phono seems like a reasonably common thing people might use.

In my case. I have cd (analog or digital), phono and tape.

Not necessarily - say I had a turntable and an existing amp with a perfectly competent phono stage (which I do and not just 'for ease'), and not a free standing phono preamp, and wanted to use room correction or PEQ along with the other streaming features WiiM have to offer. An Ultra would make sense there.

In that instance, I don’t doubt it.

a phono stage is also a lot about managing the load and the input capacitance, .... so don't be under any illusions...
a phono stage is also a lot about managing the load and the input capacitance, ....
so don't be under any illusions...
probably, a modest-classic mm 47 kohm and like 35-40 db 100 picof...

Will you be able to send the audio from the phono input, via the ultra, over to another wiim product though?
Essentially letting you listen to the same record around the whole house.

etc etc
if there was a hardware solution to drop the input gain, l-pad..an inverse riaa via peq would be funny..

Last edited:
Will you be able to send the audio from the phono input, via the ultra, over to another wiim product though?
Essentially letting you listen to the same record around the whole house.
Yeah, playing a line in signal to a group of WiiM devices has been there since the mini (see your device manual) and I don’t see the phono in being any different

Not a lot of speculation on the 3.5 mm connection.
I'm assuming it will be a headphone output, possibly using a CS43131 chip, but it could also be a mic input for room correction, with a Wiim mic sold as an optional add on (the other new product?).

Not a lot of speculation on the 3.5 mm connection.
I'm assuming it will be a headphone output, possibly using a CS43131 chip, but it could also be a mic input for room correction, with a Wiim mic sold as an optional add on (the other new product?).
It's a headphone socket.

Back